2 Weeks on Liquid Diet Before Surgery?

putter4
on 4/24/05 2:27 am - Charles City, IA
Okay all you pros. Why would I have to be on a liquid diet TWO Weeks before surgery? I attended a seminar last week and during that seminar someone said that if I get all my ducks in a row and am able to schedule this surgery, it will be necessary to be on a liquid diet for two weeks prior to surgery. If I could do that, I wouldn't need the surgery! Sorry. A little cranky about this. I have a family to cook for, so the temptation will be too strong, I know it will. Just like all my other diets. The temptation comes from preparing meals for others. I know the liquid diet before surgery helps during the surgery, but two weeks!! Can anyone help me understand this? Thank you all. You are so helpful. Terri
shannonrobbins
on 4/24/05 4:03 am - Clinton, MS
Terri, I really don't know why some doctors require this. I however, did not have to do anything. I wasn't even told to do the bowel cleansing thing. I did it on my own just because I knew it would be good to do for surgery but I never did a liquid diet before surgery. Check around and see if your doctor requires it or was it just the person at the seminar saying that it had to be done. I hope this helps. Shannon P.S. I agree, if we could do it for two weeks prior to surgery, why would we reroute our systems just to accomplish the same thing??!?!?!?
(deactivated member)
on 4/24/05 4:04 am - Imperial, MO
Hi, I am in St. Louis and my surgeon was Dr. Wagner. He required me to be on a liquid diet for one week prior to my surgery. It is just me and my husband, so not as hard as it would be for you. Good News, I did lose 20 pounds! It took me about 2 days to get used to it. I did have some ff saltine crackers with it, as I just had to have something to chew on and then put something in my tummy besides the liquid. Then the first week after surgery, I was on another week of liquid. I have now begun adding cream of wheat, cream of whatever soup without chunks. Now, starting to add light cheese, mashed potatoes, etc. Two weeks sounds a little much to me. It does help you get ready for what is to follow after surgery however. Good Luck to You!
Jaimi K.
on 4/26/05 2:26 am - Massapequa, NY
Lap Band on 05/31/05 with
Hi Terri! Lucky you! I have to be on Optifast meal replacement for 4 weeks BEFORE surgery! That means I get to drink these flavored milky things or a choco/peanut thingie bar or a chicken broth 5 times a day. FOUR WEEKS! UGH! Doc wants me to lose 25 lbs. The reason for this is: My surgeone requires his patients to lose a certain percentage of their weight prior to surgery for two reasons; 1) to get you mentally prepared for post op, and 2) to shrink your (most likely) fatty liver. Doc has said that a fatty enlarged liver gets in the way of laparascopic surgery and makes for a more risky operation. Best of luck to you!
Lisar91570
on 4/26/05 11:09 am - AMELIA, OH
Terri, This is what i was told concerning the liquid diet before the surgery. My surgeon said that it makes your liver plyable, there for making it easier to hold it back away from the stomach during the surgery. Besides its not that bad, it gives you a jump start on the weight loss. Including the 10days prior that I was on a liquid diet before my surgery... 15 days since my surgery.....in total its been 25 days and I've lost about 35 lbs. Starting at 307 now 272. No matter what the way I looked at it is the doctors asking you to do different things before and after the surgery, there is probably a good reason why he's asking. So I've done everything the doctors told me to do. I quit smoking, went on a liquid diet and off all of my anti-inflamitories all with in 3 weeks before surgery, I thought I would be a nut case before my surgery date arrived. I think going off the anti-inflamitories scared me most of all because I have sever back problems. I prayed a lot, a whole lot and I'm not the most religious person. But, let me tell you there is no doubt that God's helped me every step of the way. I'm not trying to mess this up, I'm trying to be healthier. I had to cook for my family as well, I just didn't eat what they did. Have you seen the liquid diet they're telling you about? Mine included slim fast optima, creamed soups, sf jello, cottage cheese, water, sf fudgesicles, sf popsicles, broths. Seriously it wasn't that bad. You can do it for two weeks before the surgery!! Have faith, Girl! Also after the surgery you'll really be on a liquid diet, a clear liquid, then work into pureed about 2 weeks out. You want this life changing surgery buck up and do what it takes. It's tough but you can do it! I'm a little over three weeks post op and I'll be the first to tell you its frustrating, but i just keep thinking of the end results. Your eating for the rest of your life is going to change. You'll still be cooking for your family....but this is what I did after the surgery....If my eating habits have to become healthier, well so does yours and now my family will either starve or eat the healthy meals i prepare for them. Meals that I can eat also. There are no bad snacks in my house, no chips, cakes, candy, cookies etc...... If its not there there is no temptation. There are however fresh fruits and veggies to snack on, sf snackes such as jello, pudding, popsicles and fudgesicles, nuts, soy nuts and different cheeses. Which some of this stuff I can't even eat yet. Your family should be suportive of this, educate them on eating healthier as well. Don't let them just be there for you, let them get involved and everyone be there for everyone. Especially if you have children. You do what you have to do to get to this surgery and do what you have to do after!! You can do it! You'll be so happy with the end results!!! This entire process has excited me! Good luck Terri!!!! Lisa
cindy E.
on 4/26/05 9:34 pm - hudson, FL
Terri, Your doc has good reasons. One is to help your chances of a successful surgery. Since the liver is a risk problem, it is wise to try to do all we can before surgery. The liquid diet does that. Also, this is life altering surgery. You will need to be able to be around food and deny yourself. This proof to yourself that you can and you do have the self-discipline will help you. How strong is your desire? The two weeks is the starting part of the change in your life. You can do it. It's not as bad as it seems, think positive about it. Also, I had a lot of last meals before my two week period started. It helped me. Have faith and trust in your doc. You can do it. Do it for your hubby and kids, they need you around. Good Luck. Cindy
impk
on 5/5/05 5:52 am - schaumburg, IL
wow..2 weeks..and i thought my 2 days liquid diet was OVER preparing already!because i know some people who actually ate the night before surgery and was restricted to eat or drink anything after 12 midnight the day b4, thats why i got so mad when my doctor asked me to go on a liquid diet for 2 days!!but i think that would be helpfull to start early anyway, i wouldve if i wer to do it again.
Sandra T. RN
on 5/13/05 3:59 am - TX
I have to do the 2 week Optifast as well. But, that's life, LOL, I may feel differently once I start it.
lovejj01
on 5/27/05 6:27 am - Minneapolis, MN
Hi Terri, I was on the liquid diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery and it was horrible. I was tempted several times to cheat and eat something high in fat, but most of the time I was able to stick with the diet. My surgeon says that the liver will shrink and all toxins will be removed from it, making it easier for him to move the liver out of the way during surgery. i did cheat but he was able to see everything that he needed and I am now 3 days post op, so good luck and try your best to stick with it.
Just Valena
on 6/27/05 6:10 am - Nunyabizness
I had to do this, but only one week prior to my procedure, and boy did it suck. If you are having a Lap RNY, the reason that they do that is to shrink down the size of your liver. That helps them see your stomach and intestines better so that they can get the surgery done. It drastically decreases the chances that they end up doing it open instead. I hated it but the surgeon said that mine was one of the quickest he did, only took an hour and fifteen minutes. And I have had no complications or problems at all. I was really mad at my doc, he didn't tell me until the week before, when I was planning on having my last hurrah with so many wonderful foods! Valena Lap RNY 5/3/2004, -136
Most Active