FTM 2005 arrived

czangel
on 9/18/04 2:14 am - Greenfield, WI
I received my Family Tree Maker 2005 last night, and have been working with it ever since. There are some nice changes that remind me of some earlier software. However, there are some things that make it just a little more tedious. I probably would not have paid more for it, if it were offered with all those extras, so the basic price was just fine. As an example of a positive, I like being able to enter a child's birth place without having to go to their individual page or the events page. A negative, I am attempting to "source" everything, and that can be tedious in and of itself, the older forms of FTM there were short-cuts (shift-S) to get to the source. Now I have to click on a button to get to a source. It may take some time getting used to. Just a reminder there are so many programs out there that are just as good/less expensive. I think PAF, Legacy, Family Tree Legends, etc.
RhondaShoemaker
on 9/26/04 3:43 am - Shelby Township, MI
I've had FTM since 2.0 came out, and I got that BEFORE I got my computer! The jury is still out here regarding FTM 2005, but almost everyone in my genealogy group has FTM. I have been a genealogist since 1980 and love this much better.
Jenny J.
on 1/15/05 10:11 am - North Tazewell, VA
I can't buy it around here. I tried last week, so I am going to have to wait until I go to Charlottesville for my stress test and psych test to get it. I was wondering, if my data will open on this newer version. I have not updated my FTM since 4.1 and my old computer was running 3.0. PLease tell me that I won't have to re-enter all that data
czangel
on 1/15/05 9:32 pm - Greenfield, WI
Your info should transfer. Wow, 4.1? You need windows 98 or higher to operate FTM2005. I ordered mine from Ancestry.com... they are now the owners of the software. I haven't seen it in the stores. I don't know where some of my older versions are... otherwise I'd offer them to you. I should have at least version 11. I think I already gave 10 away. There are some features I really like, but there are others that are a bit irritating, they've created a few too many steps to add events and sources. I still don't like the way notes are all lumped together. You might want to also go familysearch.org and download the version of PAF most compatible with your computer. You should be able to transfer your data with creating a gedcom file.
Jenny J.
on 1/15/05 11:25 pm - North Tazewell, VA
I may just have to order it off the net too. I am running XP now and a friend of mine told me that I probably couldn't transfer becuse of the XP, that it doesn't sometimes recognize the older programs. Guess I'll see. I am excited about it. I am trying to get all my ducks in a row to get into the DAR and so I have a renewed interest
czangel
on 1/16/05 3:24 am - Greenfield, WI
What won't work is the 4.1 on your XP machine. The file, however, should be able to transfer over and into the newer software. Make a backup, AND a gedcom. If all else fails, the gedcom will go into the new software.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Need to Find Military Info!!!!
puddin2day · 1 replies · 491 views
Hi, new here
RieRie · 1 replies · 640 views
Family History
Kaye C. · 0 replies · 365 views
Ancestry.com
Penny P. · 0 replies · 384 views