rules for cooking

chubbychub
on 3/10/06 9:16 pm - camp hill, PA
I am trying to put together a cookbook of recipes for after surgery. Jacque loves making me food, but she likes to have a lot of legal choices. So my question is, what are the rules for cooking after surgery. How do you convert basic recipes into wls approved recipes? Will regular low carb ones work? Or any sugar free recipes? I am not sure what to look for in a recipe. I know it should be very low in sugar, but what about fat? I know a lot of low carb/ low sugar recipes are high in fat. Thanks so much!
sexysweetsweet69
on 3/11/06 12:01 am - Milwaukee, WI
Sorry I can't help I am still pre op, but it is a good idea i would buy it.
kizie23
on 3/11/06 2:47 am - blacksburg, VA
I am not sure that this is going to be of help, but I eat almost everything eveyone else in my house eats. The only difference is that I use moderation. For instance I only eat one serving of something. (if I can get that much in me.) I think a cook book would be a great idea. I am not sure if you go to the main board or not, but if so look up Dame Tooter. She has some really good stuff on her website and it may give you guys some ideas. Melissa
Meltingman
on 3/11/06 9:22 pm - Malvern, PA
Sierra, I'm definitely more concerned about sugar and carbs than fat. I do try to watch out for too much fat but it doesn't bother me as much as sugar and carbs. If I can make a dish low fat I will however, if I can't make it low fat I will make it anyway. I never make high carb or sugar dishes. I have made low carb (no sugar) cheese cake. It has lots of fat but very few carbs and no sugar. If I'm making a chicken dish, I will take the skin off to reduce the fat. I think I'm rambling but you get the point (I hope). Good luck with the cookbook, Chip
chubbychub
on 3/11/06 10:03 pm - camp hill, PA
Thank you all for your input. I was just thinking about a cookbook for personal use, but now that you mention it, there are only like 2 cookbooks for wls people out there. If only I knew something about writing a book
Richbehr
on 3/12/06 12:56 pm - North Haven, CT
RNY on 03/24/08 with
I'm a pre-op trying to act like a post-op. With St.Patricks Day coming up, what about corned beef and cabbage? The meat is cooked until nice and tender and the cabbage and veggies are also cooked until soft. How "legal" would that be?
track
on 3/13/06 2:43 pm - on the beach down by the bay, VA
corn beef as a preop might be fine, but why not try to put into place postop practices before you start. I think that doing so helped make the transition very easy for me. You can read all the gory details in my profile. Here's what I'm bringing to a ceilidh this friday night... Colcannon Chowder 4 med. russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks 1 (14 oz.) can nonfat, red. sodium chicken broth 1 cup water salt 2 tblsp canola oil 3 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage 3/4 cup finely chopped onion 8 oz. smoked chicken or turkey sausage, sliced 1/4 in. thick 1 med. carrot shredded 1/2 cup 1% milk pepper to taste. IN 3 qt saucepan, cover potatoes with broth and water, add 1 tsp. salt. Bring to boiling over high heat, reduce heat, cover, cook till potatoes are tender, 12 - 15 min, then set aside. Meanwhile, heat oil in 10 in. non-stick skillet over med. hi heat, add cabbage and onion, saute 10 min., tossing occasioanlly. Add sausage, continue to saute about 10 min., tossing occasioanlly, until veg and sausage begin to brown. Add carrot, set aside. With slotted spoon, remove about 3/4 cup potatoe pieces and add to skillet. IN blender, blend remaining potatoes and liquid until smooth, holding lid down with towel,(or use a stick blender, much easier, and less mess to clean up!) return to saucepan. Add contents of skillet, mix in enough milk for consistency desired. Heat to simmering, seaosn with salt and pepper. Nutrients serving 357 cal. 15 gr. protein 54 gr. carb 10 gr fat 25 mlgr chol 587 mlgr sodium 6 gr dietary fiber Now, granted, this makes a big batch, and for myself, it would last a tremendous amount of time, but I do love making something to bring to a party that is perfect for me, and flavorful enough for the rest of the 'norms' that they usually want the recipe. Just take a basic recipe, tweak it a bit, and voila!...good for you, better than the original that would clog your arteries in a Belfast second...
track
on 3/13/06 2:29 pm - on the beach down by the bay, VA
Your tastes and such change so much, but after being out 2 1/2 years, I find that I basically still adhere to my no sugar, no red meat, no fried foods routines. Sounds rather restrictive, but it's not really. Simply put, nothing white, nothing fast foodish, and nothing with processed sugar in it. I always look for a hi protein ingredient first, and the rest takes care of itself. Finding replacements for things that don't agree with me was vital. Don't eat/can't eat rice or pasta...so I use quinuoa, millet or amaranth, high protein seed alternatives. Whole wheat, graham or almond flour in place of the old white flower. Fruit for adding a touch of natural sweetness in place of sugar, or splenda. I use soy in place of meat now, it just does better with me. So if I make a chili, it's with boca crumbles instead of ground beef. I don't even really consider fats in the overall picture, but am still aware that too much can make me feel a little queasy. Lo carb is not a bad way, as long as you're not rabid about it, we still need some carbs, just in moderation. I think you'll find that following the basic guidelines, listening to your voice and making the right choices and you'll be amazed at the flavorful foods that you'll come up with. Good luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 427 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 1004 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1372 views