post ops: do you drink through straws?

finda_nessy
on 2/13/06 2:24 am - Indianapolis (but at college in Evansville), IN
I was told by the baritatric office that I was not allowed to drink from straws after surgery but when I go out to restaurants, I just cant stand to drink from the cup directly so I wanted to know if anyone else sips from straws after surgery????? Finda Nessy
Cheri B
on 2/13/06 2:54 am - Forked River, NJ
You are really not supposed to, but I prefer it. I couldn't stand my protein shake if I had to drink it directly from the cup. I just take it very slow and I have been fine. If you are really really concerned though, talk to your doc about it. -Cheri
Chamia
on 2/13/06 3:13 am - Rake, IA
Our hospital had us drinking from straws right in the hospital!! We always drink our protein shakes with them.
Merrickkitty
on 2/13/06 3:13 am - EAST BAY, CA
I prefer straws, the guideline is a general one, when people drink from straws they tend to take in more air, and it makes things uncomfortable. If you have no discomfort, there is no real reason to stop. At least that is how I understand it. Maureen
Ferchie
on 2/13/06 6:52 am - Twin Falls, ID
I've been drinking from straws since surgery and not had a problem. I suppose if it doesn't make anything uncomfortable... Jeremy
kizie23
on 2/13/06 10:19 am - blacksburg, VA
I do not drink from starws. I am a scardy cat and will not try it, but it seems like most people do not have problems with it. Only one way to find out for sure if you will, that is to drink from one. Good luck to you, let me know how it goes. Melissa
ChaadMN
on 2/13/06 10:33 am - Otsego, MN
I actually find that I drink more if I use a straw. So i posed this exact same question to my doctor. He told me that if I drink more water with a straw vs. no straw, use a straw everytime. So I do!
mylilcalla
on 2/13/06 8:53 pm - Bloomington, IN
Hiya, I have been drinking from a straw since my surgery. They actually had me drinking from a child's sippy cup at first (can you believe it?) and I did it! Felt bizarre, but it kept me from drinking too much too fast. I agree with you about the restaurant glasses. I am not putting my lips on those... no way! Just be careful when using a straw not to suck up too much air when you drink to avoid those miserable gas bubbles that we all know and love to hate. Best, Amy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 427 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 1004 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1372 views