please help i can't stop barffing

Ferchie
on 1/7/06 12:58 am - Twin Falls, ID
please help. This is jenifer writing in for Jeremy. We spent 8 hours yesterday in the ER because Jeremy can't stop barffing. It is at the point she is bring up bile and blood. The ER nurses blesse them stuck her with a needle 12 times before they finally got a vein so they could get her IV started. We have tryed everything from warm water and peperment candy to try and setter her tummy but nothing is working. Please if anyone out there has any ideas i am will to try anything. The Doc told us that all the X-Rays looked normal and so did all the lab work and more thay likely it is just the flu but if she doesn't stop barffing i am going to have to run her to a larger hospital 2 hours away.
& Then Some
on 1/7/06 2:08 am - in, FL
Hi Jenifer I'm sorry to hear about Jeremy. I don't know what to say, but for both of ya'll to hang in there and in the meantime will send up a prayer. Keep us updated. Jo
TheRealMe
on 1/7/06 3:35 am - Upper Marlboro, MD
What were the discharge orders from the ER? I know from years of mothering that the trick to calm the stomach from vomiting is to withhold ALL food and liquids for a 24 hour period. Then, reintroduce liquids 1 tablespoon at a time.... gingerale or sprite (a clear soda)....FLAT ... 1 tablespoon ... wait 20 min if it stayed down, than another ...20 min ... if it stays down, then 2 tbls .. 20 min...etc till you build up to 1/4 cup ... this is over the course of the second day. The third day you begin to reintroduce food ...dry toast, cracker, soft bannana, . The rules for us of lots of liquid, etc has to take a lower priority at times like this. BUT .. if she is unable to get up to the 1/4 cup liquid by the second day ...back to the hospital for the saline IV to keep from becoming dehydrated ...because that would just start things all over!! Hope the flu is what it is ... 'cause that passes eventually. My partner had the flu this winter ...she too was bringing up bile....and she hasn't had the WLS, so it really was the flu ...took 5 days to get rid of it!! Jody
kizie23
on 1/7/06 5:04 am - blacksburg, VA
Jenifer, I am sorry to hear about Jeremy. Have you contacted the surgeon. I know you said that you took her to the ER, but maybe you should also call the surgeon. I will be praying for Jeremy. Melissa
(deactivated member)
on 1/7/06 5:54 am - Milwaukee, WI
When you went to the ER, did you tell them that Jeremy had WLS? Were they very clear on what kind of surgery? I wouldn't let her continue for another day and would make the trip to the next hospital--or contact a local WL surgeon who could help. Do you ahve any local WLS support groups that could give you a referral?
finda_nessy
on 1/7/06 8:25 am - Indianapolis (but at college in Evansville), IN
I am so sorry to hear that this is happening. I was vomiting after my surgery also for 8-12 weeks and was told that it was a minor complication that would eventually go away. My nurse practitioner prescribed motion sickness medication for the vomiting which was 12.5g and seemed to help some...(it was phernergan) but if you are throwing up blood then you might be experiencing a different problem. I feel sooo bad for jeremy because i thought everything was going well. I will definitely keep her in my prayers and I know that everything will be okay...... Finda Nessy
Ferchie
on 1/7/06 8:38 am - Twin Falls, ID
The orders on her release were clear fluids and tomorrow start out on soft foods in small amounts and then work her way back up to were she was at. Today she is trying so hard to try and drink fluid but every time she drinks something she starts to dry heave, nothing comes but but I know it is hurting her tummy and back. She is so scared to go back to the hospital that I told her I would give her today to start getting better at home but if she isn't getting any better by tomorrow then we will make the drive to Boise and see someone at the big hospitals up there. Thank you all for the info. Talking from the partners stand point it kills me that I can't take her place when they are sticking her with needles or even just take away one of her dry heaves. But knowing I can get online here and ask you all and someone will have gone threw it or will have an idea on what to do help. Jenifer
finda_nessy
on 1/8/06 4:39 am - Indianapolis (but at college in Evansville), IN
Is she doing any better today? I hope so. I said a prayer last night and I know that she is such a trooper so let us know how she is??? Finda Nessy
Merrickkitty
on 1/7/06 12:52 pm - EAST BAY, CA
I recently had a hernia that was strangling part of my bowel. I was barfing foam and water. I called my surgeon, and he recommended a CAT scan of my abdomen. I made sure everyone was aware of the LAP RNY, but I did have the luxury of going to the same hospital as I had the surgery, so they were able to call up my previous surgical chart. I did require surgery (on New Years Day, nonetheless). The surgeon said this is common one a patient loses a great deal of weight (woo hoo on the great deal of weight.) I am not sure this helps, but I hope they did at least a CAT scan and that she is doing better at this point. Maureen
Rosa
on 1/8/06 1:20 pm - Milton, DE
I don't have any answers, but I will say lots of prayers for both of you. Big Hug, Rosa
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 427 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 1004 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1372 views