Surviving the Holidays as a Post-Op

(deactivated member)
on 12/17/05 3:02 am
Hi Everyone I absolutely LOVE the holidays. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite days of the year, because I know Christmas is right around the corner! Thanksgiving was a little hard, I was wanting to feed my head hunger and was depressed that I could only eat a few bites. I really missed being a member of the clean your plate twice club. But I survived it and did pretty good. But now Xmas is right around the corner. For the past 10 years I've made 7+ different Xmas cookies every year. I'm talking homemade fudge, cut out sugar cookies, kiefle's, etc. I would give a plate to family & friends and they really looked forward to it. This is my 1st Xmas as a post op and I know I just cant bake like that this year. I know my family and friends will understand, but I'm sad because I enjoyed doing that. Samantha, our 10 year old, has helped me bake for the past few years, its kind of like a family tradition. I feel like I am missing out.... How did you get through the holidays your 1st year post op? Jaimee
(deactivated member)
on 12/17/05 6:06 am - Milwaukee, WI
This is my first holiday post-op and I have no sweets in the house. But to "indulge" in the holidays, I've treated myself to enticing gourmet cheeses, various pates and found some low-carb pumpkin cheese crackers. I also LOVE eggnog, but even the low-fat stuff is way to high in sugar. So I bought some SF egg nog syrup from DaVinci's Gourmet. These kind of things make it feel "special" to me.
(deactivated member)
on 12/19/05 7:59 am
I love egg nog too!! I think I'm going to try to make a low sugar egg nog receipe from Susan Maria's book. The pumpkin crackers sound good, where did you get them? Jaimee
daniel patrick
on 12/17/05 7:57 am - Glen Burnie, MD
I know what you mean... Growing up Italian...the holiday means cookies... at least twenty different kinds and you have a to have at least three of each..one to taste, one to see if you like it and then one to see if it was good. Of course, then you go back and eat the tasty ones. This year, though...with pounds and pounds gone.... so are the happy memories of the cookies. It is KILLING me!!!! The whole holiday tradition is centered on a festive Christmas eve of buffet fantasies and increbible edibles. Christmas day of course, is a festive breakfast, then dinner with a lasagna appetizer followed by an increble roast beef dinner. NOT!!!! This year, I will sit at the table with my tiny saucer...watching everybody eat till they are in pig-out heavan. Am I sad. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! However, I am also healthier, one hundred plus pounds lighter, and most important...a live. ENJOY the holidays..and you will find an incredible way to enjoy the day!!!
(deactivated member)
on 12/19/05 7:57 am
Hi Dan~ Thanks for you response. I feel so much better with this weight off too. I need to concentrate on how good I feel vs what food I am missing. I must say I didn't realize that my life was so centered around food. Amazing, isn't it?! Jaimee
Meltingman
on 12/18/05 9:47 pm - Malvern, PA
Jamiee, Thank God someone else is feeling like this. On Saturday I made Christmas dinner for Heath's family. I ate breakfast that moring but decided to not eat lunch so I could enjoy a little larger dinner. I worked all day to prepare Rib Roast, garlic mash potatos, brocolli au grautin and a toss salad. I spent all day not only cooking but also preparing the house and wraping presents. When it was time to eat I sat down fixed a plate and litterally ate 5 bites of roast, a few bites of salad, one bite of potatos, a few bites of broccoli and I was FULL!!!! I was so mad that I had worked all day preparing that meal and then could barely enjoy it. I sat there while everyone else not only finished their plates but then had seconds and thirds. I finished my plate the next day for breakfast and lunch. I'm very happy I had the surgery and I'm glad my hunger is not always present but I have to say I miss being able to finish a meal on occassion. Chip
(deactivated member)
on 12/19/05 7:54 am
Chip, You sound like me.... spend all of this time preparing a great meal and you don't get to enjoy it! I do most of the cooking in our house, I feel bad but I just don't feel like slaving of the stove anymore. I used to make a really nice dinner every night and a nice salad. I can't eat it, I don't want to make it! I am cooking Xmas day, a polish style dinner. They'd better enjoy it! Take care. Jaimee
Dawnne E.
on 12/19/05 4:50 am - Madison, WI
I am almost three years out and I love to bake and cook more than ever. I just give it all away now and don't eat it! I do not and have not eaten sugar since surgery...go figger the only time in my life I have had any will power. I made 8 different kinds of cookies this week end to do my annual cookie plates to family and friends. I found a couple years ago, that by NOT doing my usual holiday baking it left me kinda angry and depressed...life is hard enough. I now find I enjoy the creating and baking MORE than the eating...so yeah, give them ALL away and keep your Holiday traditions going strong.
(deactivated member)
on 12/19/05 7:51 am
Thanks! I think I'm going to at least make 1 or 2 different cookies. Jaimee
the7thdean
on 12/22/05 8:46 am - GA
Hey Jaimee You know they have that Splenda out for baking now! Maybe all is not lost. Instead of sugar, user Splenda --they are advertising how good it is for baking. Maybe you still can make those cookies --you just can't eat as many. Peace, NaDine
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 427 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 1004 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1372 views