Starting the process .......

dross55
on 12/15/05 10:59 pm - Paoli, PA
Well I saw the surgeon yesterday and have started the paper work. They took al the pre-filled out stuff plus the consults from all my other doctors. Next is the Psy eval.... that 20 page psy/eating history booklet is filled out! I also have to do 3 months of MD supervised diet for personal choice BC/BS PA. Then they submit my paper work for pre-approvial. After that I have the cardiology and pullmonary eval, pre-op work-up and surgical date. My doc is Dr. Kirkland at Penn Hosp in Philly. The MD supervised diet thing for personal choice is something NEW since Oct 2005. If you are just at the "looking into stage" you might want to approach your pcp to get this done before seeing the surgeon, it can't hurt. I'm in no big hurry to be cut again, and I'll have the rest of my life to settle into this new life pattern. Maybe late winter early spring...... Then I'll have a good summer losing weight! Better to do in the warmer weather! This may well be my last winter with all the "personal insulation" I pray! Thanks for listening folks..... I hope my info can help others. Huggers, Derrick
Meltingman
on 12/16/05 2:27 am - Malvern, PA
Hey Derrick, That paper work is a killer and getting in all those appointments is a pain as well but it will be all worth it in the end. Did you have any trouble getting out of the city with the weather last night? It took me 45 minutes to get home from the gym in K of P. The roads weren't too bad until I hit Paoli. 30 was backed up almost the entire length of town. Chip
dross55
on 12/16/05 2:37 am - Paoli, PA
Getting home last night? No not really, we had our holiday party at work so I didn't leave until 5:30, I usually leave at 3pm. So it was the usual heavy traffic. The roads were icy once outside the city but I made it in one piece. Derrick
Merrickkitty
on 12/16/05 8:42 am - EAST BAY, CA
Derrick, You have to start somewhere, and sounds like you have a good start. Try to remember that these appointments are not just hoops to jump through, but an effort to best prepare you for a successful surgery. The better handle they (and you) ahve on your current state of health, the better the surgical team can reduce the chances of complications. It sounds like you are in a good program, and that diet is going to help you more than you can realize. I lost a bunch of weight before my surgery, and the surgeon told me that it made her life easier and saved me an open procedure. Well worth it. Good luck to you, and I am sure we will see you post many, many more times before and after surgery. Maureen
dross55
on 12/16/05 9:39 pm - Paoli, PA
Thanks Maureen, yes I have found that the longer I'm at the program the more I learn. With a health care background myself, it allows a greater insight into the health issues but none the less I have already learned a great deal and look forward to learning a lot more. I am looking at this as major way of taking back control over my life. I also have had a few other abdominal surgeries so a scope is not possiable for me, it will have to be open. I expect to lose some weight before the surgery and as you say it will put me in better shape to get up and move about afterward. Thanks and congrads on your progress. Derrick
Rosa
on 12/16/05 9:31 am - Milton, DE
Hi Derrick, I can totally understand your frustration, but we both know it will all be worth it in the end. You have a positive attitude which is a major plus. I'm right in there with you. Good luck and please keep us posted. Rosa
kizie23
on 12/16/05 11:45 am - blacksburg, VA
Derrick, Good for you, I hope things continue to work out for you. Always, Melissa
dross55
on 12/16/05 9:42 pm - Paoli, PA
Thanks Melissa, much appriciated! Derrick
(deactivated member)
on 12/16/05 11:53 pm - Minneapolis, MN
Derrick, Your approval should go swiftly-- my insurance is through BCBS PA (odd because i live in MN) --gotta love corporate life. Anyways. I had the approval back in about 2 weeks after submitting it. I agree with Chip though the appointments can be a bit much. My clinic prolly thought i was a ***** because i was scheduling appointments 3 at a time (EKG, chest xray and bloodwork) All in all start to finish took 2 months. Best of luck with everything. Brandon
dross55
on 12/17/05 12:34 am - Paoli, PA
Thanks for your kind words Brandon. Yea I've seen posted on other forums that PC -PA BC/BS does not require the 3 months MD supervised diet for patients outside of PA. Oh yes, the appointments are a bit of a pain as I live in the burbs and tend to try to have them at lunch or early afternoon so I don't have to fight the traffic back into town. The appts are in Philly at the hospital. Thanks again, Derrick
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 427 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 1004 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1372 views