Help, What do I drink?

isha kin
on 12/13/05 1:12 pm - brooklyn, NY
I'm only 4 days post op and I hate these damn protein shakes, omg I bought 3 different ones that all tasted great at first and now they all taste horrible and I can't really eat much as I'm still on purees and the idea of pureeing certain things I enjoy eating like vege burgers is not that appetizing. I've been living off of cottage cheese and bean soup and I enjoy both of those things very much but I can't eat enough to make the recomended 60 grams of protein that the nutritionist has set for me each day. Help me I know I need a protein supplement but I never wanna see another whey milk shake again and at only 4 days post op I'm afraid that I'll get sick of everything I buy after a while. I've tried 3 different protein drinks a gnc vanilla whey formula,gnc banana creme whey and nitro tech whey in chocolate. I've mixed all of these with skim milk, soy and water and before surgery they tasted fine and even after surgery they were tolerable but yesterday I wanted to gag I could go on and on but I think you guys get the picture. Any suggestions?
kizie23
on 12/13/05 10:01 pm - blacksburg, VA
Isha, Have you tried the protien powder?? When I went to my educational class last week, the nurse told us we could use the powder. She said we could put it in things like cottage cheese, and just about anything else. She also said that sometimes the powder comes unflavored. Maybe that will help. I am still trying to find one or some that I might like. Good luck to you, I truly hope everything works out well for you. Please keep me posted on how things are going. Always, Melissa
(deactivated member)
on 12/13/05 10:35 pm - Milwaukee, WI
Two suggestings: Try the unjury unflavored powder. It changes texture very slightly, but it mixes well with yogurt, applesauce, sf pudding, cottage cheese, just about anything. Try a premixed protein drink. I use EAS Advantage drinks that have 15 gm protein and no carbs (or little) The taste is closer to chocolate milk than a powder mix drink. Also consider ordering sampler packs of Nectar. That "whey" you'll have variety to try without a big investment. I ordered some from enjoyhealth.com. (They have an ad on the OH messageboard page). As for meeting your daily requirements, you will get there. Keep the liquids up, though, so you don't get dehydrated. Good luck! Jen
Meltingman
on 12/13/05 10:50 pm - Malvern, PA
I liked Stallone High protein pudding (available at GNC) and worldwide pure protien shakes (35 grams per can) from Trader Joes and or at some GNC stores. At GNC you can also get the protein drinks in a "juice" just be careful to get the low carb variety. I like the grape and a red one not sure if it is berry or what. Hang in there nothing will taste good for a few months. I hated food and still somewhat do although now I do at time like stuff I eat. Chip
special kay
on 12/14/05 3:20 am - Ladson, SC
Hi My nutritionist reccomended me trying these two things If I could not stomach any protein drinks..... ~Adkins Advantage shakes.. 20 protein, 5 carbs and 1 sugar ~Slim Fast low carb shakes.. 20 protein, 6 carbs and 1 sugar Good Luck Kay
monkey-dee
on 12/14/05 6:21 am - NY
I hope you start to feel better soon! The first week is the hardest, hang inthere!! we have the same dr, so you know his main concern is that you stay hydrated!! Amy suggested the same two that Kay just told you about They taste great but i don't know if your body will be able to handle the carbs the first week.....i know ny souldn't but everyone is different My first week home i drank lots of crystal light and egg drop soup what about just some skimmilk for now?? ricotta chesse....You mught not get up to 60 this week but eventually you will be able to.....promise!! i can't believe you are able to gag down those gnc drinks.......yuck!! kudos to you!! haha i heard alot of great things about unjury, just haven't had the buck to buy it yet GOOD LUCK!! dee
(deactivated member)
on 12/14/05 6:52 am
Isha, Don't give up on the shakes. I found that my tastes changed every day! Some days I could handle a Carb Solutions shake and the next day I couldn't. I know the last thing you want to do is buy another container of protein powder, but the Matrix chocolate that you make into coco is good. I also like the Isopure and spice it up with a recipe from Susan Maria's book. Good luck! Jaimee
Cam L.
on 12/14/05 7:40 am - Seattle, WA
I drink the carnation instant breakfast (sugar free) and I mix it with milk to get the extra protien. I haven't ever been able to stomach any of the others. But hopefully after tomorrow I will be able to...
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 427 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 1004 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1372 views