Thank you for the great words of wisdom!

Sperandeo
on 12/2/05 11:13 am - Hayward, CA
Hi there Thank you all for your great words and encouragement. Im winding down here.. just 3 days out! Im not so much worried or concerned about the procedure itself- its the afterwords that Im hoping I can deal with effectively. Like everything ive come to adjust to in life.. eventually I got it! (sometimes im slow) so I assume that this wont be much different. Its a wierd-strange way of looking at things in terms of saying goodbye to food and my relationship with food as ive known it my whole life. From my earliest memories I can remember the abundance of it EVERYWHERE. I guess alot of that had to do with the "italian" influence at that time- but now as you all know food is everywhere and its relatively cheap. I guess I became a victim of my "drug of choice" food like so many folks have. I think the turning point for me has been when I finally cracked of the code of good ol mom's recipes. As my cooking got better, my resources increased and my desire for MORE of everything I can now look back and see how that was a "recipe" (pun intended) for disaster. In the last 2 months I have thought more about food, my weight and my relationship to food than I thought about it in the last 10 years. Ive done the homework,, educated myself about WLS and I know the risks and rewards. I dont know how to think of myself as thin, or thinner.. Ive spent the last 5 years as being known as "Aunt Sallie" the big ol "bear" to my "family" friends. A identity I myself fostered and promoted. (this is what makes the LBGT board awesome- you folks GET THAT!) 2 years ago, I lost my sister Barbara who was 51 and 500 lbs. (Lost my mother 10 months later) Both losses really hit me hard and I just wasn****ching or minding the store in terms of my intake. So.. now I find myself in that same situation as Barb and in some strange way- I feel like im carrying the torch for her- she was too scared to do WLS and look where that got her. By the way.. just how do I get my picture on this board! Again.. thanks for the kind words of support and encouragement.. I truly do ask for that and welcome it now. Sal
jeanette
on 12/2/05 1:00 pm - so cal, CA
Wow Sal that was great im very touched by you, congragulations on making the decision to do this surgery,to be able to" live" life is what our greatest gift will be !!! Take care and wishing you a speedy recovery ~~**JeAnEtTe**~~
dross55
on 12/3/05 5:45 am - Paoli, PA
Congrads on your decision. I'll be seeing my own Doc soon but I've pretty much made up my mind to do it if I can. Weight is not the primary factor in my case but I am obese. But other health factors and everytime I see my Mom and two sisters and see how big they have gotten, I know that is the path my genes are taking me down. I'd just rather do it now before I get any larger and then I'd have more of a surgical risk. As far as posting your pic goes, there is a member on the message board that post pretty good directions every week so check there. I followed them and got my pic up. Break a leg! Or is that lose a stomach... I just can't seem to keep them separate Derrick
Meltingman
on 12/3/05 5:47 pm - Malvern, PA
Great Post Sal, I have a similar story but from a German/English/Scottish background. I learned to cook from my mother and to bake from my grandmother so I also could whip up whatever dish I desired (and did). Obesity also runs in my family on both sides. You've got the right outlook and attitude for WLS. It is a tool and I have a feeling you'll use it very effectively. I'm sending good thoughts your way for the big day. Please have someone sign on and let us know how you made out and when you get home say "hello". Remember to Walk!!!! That is so important after surgery. Move you feet and legs often when in bed. Regularly moving your legs and walking is one of the most important parts of the recovery process. Chip
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 427 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 1004 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1372 views