New to the board

Teresa R.
on 11/13/05 11:43 am - MONTGOMERY VILLAGE, MD
Hello all, My names is Teresa and Iam a partnered lesbian who is about to go through round two of trying to get approved for gastric bypass.The insurance I currently have would not conver due to a small business exclusion, but thankfully in January my partners job will now have partner benefits so I should be able to qualify under her insurance.I am very nervous and scared of the let down of it all again.My BMI is 70.4 and this is a matter of life and death for me.Please keep me in your prayers. Thanks so much, Teresa
Merrickkitty
on 11/13/05 2:22 pm - EAST BAY, CA
Teresa, Hang on, if it is covered benefit, then approval should go in a routine manner. I felt the same as you did when I started the process. My BMI was about 75, and I got pro-active fast, and you'll want to do the same to qualify for a laproscopic procedure. Different surgeons have different criteria for lapriscopic vs. open procedure. A patient with a high BMI (over 60) may need to go to a medical center that specializes in super-mordidly obese patients, and that is not a bad thing, they have more expertise in the area. My surgeon required that my waist was under 60" to qualify for the lapriscopic procedure, and since I know that will make the recovery so much easier on me, I worked to get my waist down from a 71" to a 54" (BMI from 75 to 59.5.) From previous surgeries, I know that being in as good of condition as you can be will help tremendously. Try to lose some weight pre-operativly, and do something to increase your activity level (even if you can only walk for 5 minutes, do it three times a day,) you'll need the stamina for a quick recovery. If you plan like you are having the surgery, you will be approved before you know it!!! In the mean time, you are in my prayers Best of Luck Maureen
Jessica D.
on 11/14/05 5:33 am - Edmonds, WA
Hi Teresa! Welcome to playland!!! We're glad you found us! This little slice of heaven comes fully equipped with wonderful, witty, kind, supportive people, who can--and DO, fully understand what you're going through. That "exclusion" thing in the policy will mess you up every time, but if your partner's benefits have no such exclusion, hopefully you'll be updating us with a surgery date within a few weeks to a few months... Insurance companies aren't known for their speedy decision making abilities! In all seriousness, I do understand the gravity of what is going on in your life, and wish you nothing but the best. It's so rare that companies offer domestic partner benefits, that I'm absolutely thrilled that this is an option for you! Please come back again and update us about your progress. Pop in anytime to let us know how you're feeling, if we can support you in any way, or to lend some love and encouraging words to others who post here. Take good care of yourself during this stressful time. Jessica
(deactivated member)
on 11/14/05 7:24 am
Welcome to the boards Teresa! I'm wishing you the best of luck with your approval. I can completely relate to the fear of a let down. I was previously denied in the Fall of 2004, my employer announced that they were switching carriers for 2005 so I didn't finish the appeal process. But then I was so afraid of the rejection that I didn't even pursue it again until this past May. Now I wish I wouldn't have waited so long! If my insurer would have denied it I would have switched to my partners insurance because they cover it. Luckily I didn't have to go that route. Be sure to keep us updated during the process! Jaimee
ruthdebra
on 11/14/05 8:33 am - Palm Springs, CA
Welcome Teresa - and good luck with the approval process. Glad to have you with us. I'm almost 61 and had surgery 19 months ago and am ecstatically happy with the results. I just wish for everyone to be as healthy and happy as I am. Ruth
Meltingman
on 11/16/05 12:07 am - Malvern, PA
Ruth, I'm so jealous that you have that fabulous hat. I need one! Chip
ruthdebra
on 11/16/05 12:53 am - Palm Springs, CA
Thanks, Chip - my friend Leo always said I was a gay man and not a lesbian. That was for Halloween (you can see my before/after on my profile and/or the before/after pics on this site.) I made the head thing from a headband, 2 flamingo pens, and a bunch of mylar shred...It was so much fun. I don't think I would have enjoyed Halloween nearly as much prior to wls. Ruth
Meltingman
on 11/16/05 2:33 am - Malvern, PA
RUTH< WOW what a big change! You look awesome! Congratulations, You are an idol in my head ! Chip
Rosa
on 11/14/05 12:37 pm - Milton, DE
Hi Teresa, Welcome! You have come to the right place. I am just begining my journey also, and have found this message board and the wonderful folks in it to be a great support and inspiration for me. This is the BEST board here. I have had my first appt. w/ the surgeon and I am now in the process of getting all the letters from the other doctors, and then I will start my classes. I have no idea if BCBS will approve my surgery, because they gave me a hard time in the past. They did, however, approve my first visit w/ the surgeon, so I am hopeful. I can totally relate to your fears about not getting approved. For me it is a life or death issue too. I have been having so much problems walking and even standing. I am in pain 24/7, and am constantly out of breath. I will keep you in my prayers, and please keep me in yours. Also, keep us up to date on your journey. Best wishes to you and hope to see ya here again soon! Rosa
sharlit
on 11/15/05 8:40 pm - Northcote, Australia
VSG on 09/17/14 with
Welcome to the board and the OH site - I hope all goes well for you. Charlotte
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 427 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 1004 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1372 views