please help the cook

Ferchie
on 11/12/05 2:08 am - Twin Falls, ID
Hello all. This is Jenifer, Jeremys partner. And I need help. I do all the cooking for what little food Jeremy is eating. We were going to have the surgery done in the states and got all the info from the doctor on what she can eat after surgery. In the book it says she can have tuna, chicken, mashed potatoes, steamed carrots, yogert, suger free jello. But we ended up going to mexico for the surgery and the info they gave us was for the first 6 weeks she is allowed, suger free jello, broth, eggs, yogert, steamed vegis, cottage chesses. So my question is she is now 2 and a half weeks post-op and what all can she have. All she has eated is eggs, jello, yogert, cottage chesse, and potatoes. She is wanting chicken so badly and we don't know if she can have it. Please any ideas would . And speaking as someone who is eating the same things as she is to support her I am honestly getting tired of potatoes for dinner and cottage cheese for lunch. Jen
(deactivated member)
on 11/12/05 2:56 am
Jen~ What a loving and supportive partner you are!!! I was on soft foods until 4 weeks. In addition to what you are eating I had: -richotta cheese- Its really good if you add a little tomato sauce (not spaghetti sauce) and parmasean cheese. Pop it in the microwave until it is hot and bubbly. -refried beans - I added sour cream, cheese and a touch of salsa, microwave until hot and bubbly - cream based soups -cream of wheat and coco wheats -sugar free pudding made with skim milk - Deviled eggs - Sugar free popsiles I don't know if I would try chicken yet....chicken tends to make some post-ops ! I still struggle with chicken and tuna. If you do try it, make sure it is very, very moist. Best of luck to the 2 of u!! Jaimee
brittie44
on 11/12/05 7:54 am - San Jose, CA
Jen, you are awesome!! I think I was allowed chicken at 3 weeks.. and to warn, you I got sick of it as it was the only meat I was allowed. I remember it having to be very moist, so I went with a drumstick, and was able to eat 1/4 of the meat, as remind Jeremy that she has to mulch it down to nothing, but it still tasted good that first bite. At 2 weeks I was eating cheese, like Kraft singles,and even some of the hard cheese, and don't forget soups - I even had some with veggies as those veggies are very very soft.. shhhhh... I know it "feels" like forever that she'll be on the restricted type of diet, but she's reintroducing her lil pouchy to something new, and trust me it will be over before you both know it. The one thing I missed was fruit, and I could not have it for 6 months per my instructs.. Salad too was not until 6 months. My problem is I don't have a problem with ANY food. I wish you both luck on this amazing journey.
Meltingman
on 11/13/05 10:34 pm - Malvern, PA
Jen, As I'm sure you know every do program is different. My cousin had surgery in Pittsburgh and came home and after a week was told she could eat sliced deli meat (low fat turkey breast) wrapped in a romaine lettuce leaf. My doctor said no to any raw veggies for the first month. I was able to eat very moist tuna (extra low fat mayo) after a week. My favorite stage one food was fat free refried beans with a little cheese melted on them and sour cream. Whatever Jeremy tries just tell her to chew chew chew. About 3 weeks out I actually ate very cooked (overly so) skinless chicken thigh. I put it in the oven in broth and baked it for an hour and a half so it was falling off the bone. Then I chew the heck out of it. I remember it was so damn good at the time to eat something real! Now I hate chicken thighs. LOL Chip
Cheri B
on 11/14/05 3:35 am - Forked River, NJ
Hi Jenifer- At that point, I was having fun trying to find new stuff to mix together. I know you are sick of potatoes, but what I was doing was throwing in different kinds of cheeses when I mashed them. A couple of herbs also and it tasted better. I don't know if she likes hot cereals, but she can also have plain cream of wheat and plain oatmeal. To sweeten it up, use one or two Splenda (NO EQUAL) and throw in maybe some nutmeg, cinnamon, or even sugar free maple syrup for taste. By week three, I was able to eat shredded or flaky meats. So I tried everything but red meat. Fish was gross until I got to two months where I wasn't liquefying everything in my mouth. Chicken and turkey seem to have the best taste after being chewed a thousand times. For drinks...ANY flavor of Crystal Light is safe. (Make sure if you get Iced Tea it is decaf). So if she is craving orange juice or something that would be a no-no, Crystal Light is great. Also, make sure she is drinking only decaffeinated beverages. She should be able to start adding milk to her diet, and by this time a cup of hot decaf tea, 2 splenda, and some skim milk should taste divine. Everyone is right about the veggies...nothing raw until at least 4 months. Soft fruits can come much earlier though--I was eating melon at the start of the two month mark. High fiber fruits have to wait though until the 4 month mark. Because she can have milk, spraying a little whipped cream out of a can of redi-whip on top of the sugar free jello improves the taste. There is next to no sugar in it and there isn't too much of anything else either--one of my few little guilty pleasures. Good luck and take care!! -Cheri
ruthdebra
on 11/14/05 8:40 am - Palm Springs, CA
Each surgeon is different - and mine was very strict. At 2 1/2 weeks I was still on liquids and making the transition to soft and pureed foods. It's up to her and how much she wants to disagree with her doctor. I didn't even have a scrambled egg until 6 weeks out. One thing I do advise is to add only one new food at a time - that way she'll really be able to test her tolerance level. You're great but you can be supportive without eating the same foods as she is. By the way - cottage cheese is great with salsa. Ruth
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 427 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 1004 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1372 views