My first appointment!

Rosa
on 11/5/05 12:40 pm - Milton, DE
Well, I had my first appointment with Dr. Wynn on Friday. Everything went really well and she said that I am a "perfect candidate" for WLS. She doesn't seem to anticipate any problems w/ the insurance co. I hope she's right. She said if all goes well I may be able to get my surgery in 3 or 4 months! OMG! I am so excited! I am really trying not to get my hopes up, but I can't stop thinking about how it will feel to feel "normal" again (not that I have ever know what "normal" feels like--lol). I also realize that I am scared and nervous. I'm nervous that my insurance co. will refuse to pay, and I'm frightened about the possibility of having this major surgery. I have a few appts. to take care of before I can make my next appt. w/ Dr. Wynn. I got right on it as soon as I got home Friday afternoon and started making phone calls. I have so many people praying for me and sending positive energy into the universe. Man, what would I do without my peeps???
Merrickkitty
on 11/5/05 1:45 pm - EAST BAY, CA
Rosa, Well you got mine too ! You can check your plan brochure to see if the surgery is a covered benefit. Make sure that Dr. Wynn is a plan provider (I don't know what insurance you have off hand.) Generally the offices know which insurance gives them heartburn and which ones are pretty routine . I am sure that list of yours has a quite a few things medical to do, take my advice, continue getting those appointments asap, because I found that if there is any delay (and the holidays slow things considerably,) that you have breathing room. It will reduce your tension. I found in the process that I had diabetes, that got treated immeadiatly, hypertension, it was treated with the diabetes, and sleep apnea, which has been the longest drawn out process one can imagine. None of these things took me off the list, but it gave me more steps to complete before surgery. Also, it may sound silly, but I read like 15 books on wls. The most complete, easy to read and understand was "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies" I ordered on Amazon.com, it cost like 16 bucks. It was well worth the money, and it was not a schmultzy and cheerleaderey...you know? Knowledge about what is coming up will ease some fears, not all, but don't be shy, we have all been where you are, and we can and will help if you throw it out there! What are peeps for? Congrats on the appointment, and mark the milestone off on your profile, it's a biggie! Maureen
Rosa
on 11/7/05 3:21 am - Milton, DE
Hi Maureen, Thanks so much for the tips and positive energy! I will order the WLS for Dummies book today. I have so much to learn, so many mixed emotions--none of which will stop me from doing what I need to do to get my life back. I am already feeling overwhelmed by all the appointments I have to make, but I guess that is just part of the process. I know it will be all worth it in the end. Thanks again!
(deactivated member)
on 11/5/05 8:08 pm - Milwaukee, WI
I second everything that Maureen said! In my process, I had a few delays also because of the appointments I had to make. So definitely get all of those set up ASAP. As you're jumping through all these hoops of appointments and insurance, remember that you are your own best advocate. Call the offices all the time, everyday if you need to. Call the insurance comapny over and over so that you compeltely uderstnad what they are saying and why. If I hadn't done that, my sleep study, etc. would never have happened because my file got lost. And whe it went to insurance, that got lost too. Hang on for the bumpy rollercoaster of emotions ahead...but it will be worth all of it in the end. Jen
Rosa
on 11/7/05 3:46 am - Milton, DE
Hi Jen, Thanks for your help. I am so glad to have this message board and everyone's help. I can see this is going to be a bumpy ride! At least five of my appointments are going to be 2 hrs. drive away. That pretty much means I will be unable to work those days when you consider the 4 hrs. of travel and the amount of time the appts. will take. I spoke to them about doing them all in one or two days, but of course it's not going to work out that way. Fortunately I am self-employed so even if that means no money being earned that day, at least I won't have to make up the time. I know I am only at the begining of my journey. Most important thing is getting the insurance to pay for the surgery. Everything else is up to me! Thanks again, and have a wonderful day! Rosa
Stacey G
on 11/8/05 3:29 am - Stow, OH
Congratulations!! I remember how good I felt when the surgeon told me "I am a perfect candidate!' I truly hope all goes smoothly on the rest of your journey!! Hugs - Stacey
Rosa
on 11/9/05 1:20 am - Milton, DE
Hi Stacy, Thanks so much for your words of encouragement! Good luck to you too. Rosa
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 427 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 1004 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1372 views