Shopping Dilemma

Cheri B
on 11/4/05 7:31 pm - Forked River, NJ
Hello all... I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this... As the amount of clothes in my closet drops because I am running out of things that somewhat fit, I have been thinking a lot about going out for some new duds. I have worn men's shirts and men's pants for so long, but now I am thinking that they don't look so good on me, so let me give the girl's stores a chance... (Guys have it good...your pants are always the same size no matter the brand or store--for someone like me who is 5'9", it is difficult to find a pair long enough and with the hips in the right place!!!). I have been in the regular size stores, looked around, and just walked out--still as intimidated as I was when I was heavy, but now for a different reason. It dawned on me that I HAVE NO FREAKING CLUE WHAT TO BUY. I have no idea what is in style, nor do I have the time to be trying on everything in the store (children do not like sitting in a dressing room!!!) And not to mention, my GF is worried I am going to go all femme on her, because I really wasn't when I had all the weight on me. Say what you want, Lane Bryant and all the other specialty stores do their best, but their clothes are still different. Don't get me wrong, I am so thankful for where I am right now...everyday I am reminded of how lucky I am when I bend over to tie my shoes and I can breathe while doing it. Has anyone gone through this?? Am I being a drama queen?? What have you done to get past that intimidation barrier?? When I was dreaming about regular size clothes way back at 282 lbs, I thought I would be a kid in a candy store--and now that I am here, it's not that easy.... Thanks for reading!! -Cheri
(deactivated member)
on 11/5/05 1:22 am - Milwaukee, WI
Hi Cheri, I had my first major post-op shopping experience a couple weeks ago and I know what you mean by "traumatic". I was in disbelief that I could fit into some of the clothes and disappointed with the styles. (I would like my pants to at least get close to my hips!) I found that it was very overwhelming to go shopping with someone. For me, I think this will need to be a "private" thing so I can get used to it all first. So today I'm leaving my partner home and I'm going shopping by myself. Preferably, I could go shopping by myself on a weekday when no one's in the store, so I wouldn't get all pissed at the inane shoppers. Oh well. Also, I found that I am now ok with having a limited wardrobe. So I have 4 pairs of workpants and about 10 tops. Most of them are from discount stores like Walmart where the style might look trendy, but the cut is classic. As for style, pick out what youf eel comfortable in. Unfortunately, that means trying on stuff. But I've also been "window shopping" online to get a sense of what might work for me. I really understand your frustration. It's weird to finally shop at stores you never thought you could--but then walk out empty handed because the decision is too hard. Jen
daisymae
on 11/5/05 3:46 am - Middletown, NY
Lap Band on 04/04/03 with
Hi Cheri, I know this sounds a little nuts, but turn on the tv and go to QVC. Everything they have is in style and the prices are usually fairly reasonable. Also, look for second hand stores in your community for good buys. They have one here that is really great. All the WLS women go there, turn in their old clothes and get something new to them and use it until they shrink out of it and then go through the process all over again! Good luck! Carol
Merrickkitty
on 11/5/05 1:50 pm - EAST BAY, CA
I wish I could help but I am still in the "ugly but comfortable" departments of the large size catalogs! The key to style is color and attitude . If the color compliments your skin tone and you have the right attitude, you can wear anything! And I have to agree with Jen-O, I am tired of seeing the pants cut to the hairline......, which for us until the tummy tuck**** right about under the roll.....yeah...pretty picture..... Maureen
Cheri B
on 11/6/05 10:34 am - Forked River, NJ
Hi all--Thanks for the ideas / support. I actually went shopping with my GF--we tried on several things because we haven't a clue what size we are anymore--and between the kids screaming and running crazy, I walked away with a pretty decent pair of jeans from Old Navy for $15. I don't want to buy much now because I still have 30 to go until goal - but just to wear something that fits today was great...and I kept catching my lady looking at me today...heehee.... -Cheri
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 427 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 1004 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1372 views