please help I have shingles

Ferchie
on 11/4/05 10:46 am - Twin Falls, ID
Please help do to all the stress of the surgery (and the fact that I am also a big baby when it comes to pain) I have developed a case of shingles (and I am not talking about the kind you put on your roof.) I am past the point of blister and they are healing fine but he pain is something else. I am having a hard time sitting standing walking laying down and just about everthing else due to the pain. Seeing as the developed on my back you can understand why it is had to do everthing. Please please does anyone know of anything to help with the pain. I don't want to go back to the doctors so please anything but that.
Merrickkitty
on 11/4/05 1:04 pm - EAST BAY, CA
Jeremy, Tough Break, I am sorry to hear about the shingles. I got the following info off of familydoctor.com: Shingles What is shingles, and who can get it? Shingles is another name for a condition called "herpes zoster." It causes a painful rash. You can only get shingles if you had chickenpox in the past. After you have chickenpox (usually as a child), the virus that causes it stays in your body in certain nerve cells. Most of the time your immune system keeps the chickenpox virus in these cells. As you get older, or if your immune system gets weak, the chickenpox virus may escape from the nerve cells and cause shingles. Most people who get shingles are more than 50 years old or have a weak immune system. For example, you might get shingles if you have cancer, take medicines that weaken your immune system or have the virus that causes AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome). What are the symptoms of shingles? Shingles causes a painful, blistering rash. Sometimes the pain starts a few days before the rash appears. The rash begins with reddish bumps. In a few days, these bumps turn into blisters. You might feel a stinging or burning pain. The rash may wrap around your back and chest, or it may be on one side of your face. The blisters usually crust over and fall off after 7 to 10 days. You may see changes in the color of your skin when the scabs fall off. In bad cases of shingles, these color changes last forever. Even though the rash gets better or goes away in a few weeks, the pain may last longer. In most people, the pain goes away in 1 to 3 months. Shingles can also affect your eyes, causing swollen eyelids, redness and pain. Shingles of the eye can cause scars that affect your vision. It can also lead to glaucoma later in life. Glaucoma is an eye disease that can cause blindness. People who have shingles of the eye should see an eye doctor right away. >>>>>>How is shingles treated?
Merrickkitty
on 11/4/05 1:06 pm - EAST BAY, CA
Sorry...here is the part you really asked about..... How is shingles treated? Shingles is often treated with acyclovir (brand name: Zovirax), famciclovir (brand name: Famvir) or valacyclovir (brand name: Valtrex). Your doctor will decide which of these medicines might work for you. These medicines work better if you start taking them in the first 3 days after you get the rash. Your doctor might also have you take a steroid medicine to reduce your pain and swelling. Shingles of the eye is treated with antiviral medicines and steroids. What can I do about the pain? To help with the pain of shingles, your doctor might have you take an over-the-counter pain medicine like acetaminophen (one brand name: Tylenol) or ibuprofen (one brand name: Motrin). Aspirin is not recommended because using it might cause a liver problem called Reye's syndrome. Putting a medicated lotion (two brand names: Benadryl, Caladryl) on the blisters might reduce the pain and itching. Putting cool compresses soaked in an astringent liquid (two brand names: Bluboro, Domeboro) on the blisters and sores might make them hurt or itch less. If shingles causes severe pain, your doctor might have you take a prescription pain medicine. Good luck and keep us posted! Maureen
daisymae
on 11/5/05 3:41 am - Middletown, NY
Lap Band on 04/04/03 with
Jermey, Go to your doctor IMMEDIATLY and let him know. There is an antiviral medication that he can prescribe for you that will get rid of the pain quickly and help to heal the shingles. It begins with a V. I am having a brain fart, so I can't remember the name, but call him/her NOW. Let us know how it goes. BTW, WELCOME BACK!!! Carol
& Then Some
on 11/5/05 5:19 am - in, FL
Jeremy I'm so sorry to hear about the shingles and how miserable it is for you right now. Definetly call your doctor let him prescribe something for you. Keep us updated.
P566
on 11/5/05 8:43 am - SoCal., CA
Another drug that can stave off the pain is neurontin. Go see your doctor;fast intervention will prevent progression.
Jessica D.
on 11/5/05 8:51 am - Edmonds, WA
I'm sorry, Sweetie, but you're going to have to go to the doctor so you can get an antiviral like Acyclovir--to clear up the breakout. I know it hurts; I've had friends and patients with shingles, and I know it sucked, big time. It is brought to the surface by stress, ---you remember way back in the day when you had chicken pox...this is leftover from that wonderful event--plus the fact that you recently had surgery; and if surgery isn't stress, I don't know what is. So, please, please, please, get into your MD ASAP. You'll probably get your antiviral med, and some meds for pain that wouldn't cause excess bleeding after your surgery. You're a special person, since you so recently had surgery, so go in when you get a moment and take care of this. The most unfortunate part is that shingles lie dormant, they don't get cured...so, lets get rid of your outbreak and your pain...and keep your stress to a minimum!!! Easy for me to say, isn't it! Hurry to the doc's office, okay?? Jessica
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 427 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 1004 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1372 views