I'm A Scale *****!!!!

N. Leonguerro
on 11/1/05 12:04 pm - Chapel Hill, NC
I can not for the life of me stay off the scale! I did pretty well just after surgery, but for the past month I weigh myself first thing in the morning, after breakfast, when I'm at the gym, when I get home from the gym, when I get home from work, after dinner, before my shower .... (Yall see where I'm going with this.) I even hop on the scale in the middle of the night. Perhaps I should just throw it out; but that would only drive me nutz and I'd go out and get another one. (Yeah, I need help.) I'm a little over 3 months post-op and I've lost 64lbs so far but I can't stop obsessing over the possibility of gaining or not loosing.
Meltingman
on 11/1/05 10:15 pm - Malvern, PA
Neshia, I too have to admit the urge to be a scale ***** I told my partner not to buy one for home because I know I'd give into the temptation. I have vowed to only weigh myself on Mondays at my gym but evertime I go to the gym I step on it. It probably would be best to get rid of your scale at home. Good luck. Chip
(deactivated member)
on 11/2/05 4:02 am - Milwaukee, WI
I'm right there with you. I put it away for awhile, but it's back out again, reminding every step (ounce) of the way how I'm doing!'s s
Jessica D.
on 11/2/05 10:20 am - Edmonds, WA
Hey Neshia, One thing is for sure: we want this weight off and we want it off NOW!!! We can't help but be impatient, and anxious to SEE the results of all of our work. But at some point, when we recognize that we have an obsession, we have to take action. I threw my scale out a few months ago...and then, within a week, began weighing myself before and after I worked out at the gym---on the gym scale!!! It's in our heads, and I wish I knew the answer to how we secure ourselves in the knowledge that we're doing all the right things, and the weight will come off. I think that the fact that we are losing weight is just too good to be true for most of us. We don't trust the process, so we just keep checking on it,-- by stepping on the scale a zillion times a day. That's the hardest part: trusting the process. Trusting that if I eat within my diet plan, and get the amount of exercise I was prescribed, I will lose weight. You're down 64 pounds in 3 months!! So you are definitely doing something right! Basically, all we do by weighing outselves multiple times a day, is disappoint ourselves. We want weight to be coming off ALL THE TIME!!! The reality is, our bodies continue to adjust, and we hit plateaus, maintain water weight (especially the ladies!) replace fat with muscle----so the scale isn't accurately measuring our success. The measure of our success, Neshia, is answering yes to the following questions: Did I stay on my eating plan today? Did I get my required exercise in today, or as many times this week as I was suppose to? Am I confident that I have done everything I can do to move myself physically, emotionally, and mentally toward well being? Most of us will answer yes to questions one and two; but the #3--getting on the scale and obsessing about what we already know to be (that we're moving in the right direction)--many of us are going to have to answer: No. There is no well being to be found in making ourselves crazy weighing ourselves multiple times a day, or even a week. So what do you want to do about this? Do you want to quit measuring your success by the scale? If you do, then make a pact with someone you love, to only weigh in once a month. This way, you WILL see the changes---even with you have plateaus, and water weight, you'll see the cumulative effect of all the work you put in that month. Try that, okay. I will try it with you. I weighed in today at 256#. December first, I vow to weigh in again: not one time before that. Can you make the vow?? You've got lots of people on your side. And the only thing you lose is the up/down moods that you get when you step on the scale daily. Let's do it together!! Wishing you well, Jessica
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 427 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 1004 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1372 views