MN lesbians? or nearby

Jen W.
on 10/20/05 2:42 am - Minneapolis, MN
Hi all! I'm 29, happily married/partnered lesbian considering RNY surgery. According to my doc I am 345 and sooo not happy at this weight. My partner, Nick, is very supportive and understanding of whatever decision I make. I have so many questions/concerns and feel like I am floundering. At this point, Nick is the only one who supports me having surgery. Guess I am looking for some friends/support network from anywhere, but preferably in my area of the country who are going through this or have already gone through this. Honestly, a friend is a friend whether straight or gay, but looking for gay friends as well who've been through this who can understand that aspect of my life as well.
ChaadMN
on 10/20/05 6:40 am - Otsego, MN
Hi Jen! Its good to see other people from MN here! I am not a lesbian, but I am a gay male living in the Twin Cities area. I just had the surgery about 4 weeks ago and am very happy with my decision. If your interested I am always up for a cup of coffee and conversation! Also, I do know that there are some lesbians from the cities on this site. I can pass the names on to you if you like. Let me know, and WELCOME!! Chad
Jen W.
on 10/20/05 7:13 am - Minneapolis, MN
Chad, that would be great! Just out of curiousity - which hospital did you go through/surgeon? I have my info session on 11/1/05 at Park Nicollet.
ChaadMN
on 10/20/05 7:19 am - Otsego, MN
I went through Abbott Northwestern in Minneapolis. My surgeon works with Minneapolis Bariatric Surgeons and his name is Dr. Drew. Under my name you can click on my surgeons name and it will bring to to his page if your interested. Park Nicollet is also an excellent group to use. I read on the MN board that you were going to attend the info session on the 1st. If you want company, let me know the details and I might be able to go with ya if you want. What part of the cities are you in? I am just NW of Maple Grove.
Jen W.
on 10/20/05 7:42 am - Minneapolis, MN
I live in Minneapolis by the VA hospital, but I work in Plymouth/Maple Grover (Bass Lake Road and 169) so where I work is not too far from where you live. We should have coffee some night after work so you don't have to travel too far. If we hit it off I'd love some company to the info session on the first. I was kind of sad I'd have to go all alone, but since they only offer it on Tuesdays... I think I'm leaning towards Park Nicollet because my primary care doc is through Park Nicollet. That way all my records are in the system and always accessible by any doctor in their system. My pcp can help keep an eye on me and see what I've discussed with the surgeon, etc. Its a nice fit for me. My pcp has already recommended one of the surgeons too - Svendsen.
Dawnne E.
on 10/20/05 9:07 pm - Madison, WI
I live in Madison....had surgery 2-1/2 yrs and 200 pounds ago. Never a day of regret. Ask anything you like.
Missa
on 10/26/05 5:31 am - Brooklyn Park, MN
Hi Jen... Welcome to the board! I live in Brooklyn Park and had surgery in July. I am happy with my decision--still struggling with those good and bad days but it's definitely the best decision I could have made for myself! Feel free to ask questions, e-mail...whatever! Melissa
Jen W.
on 10/31/05 10:40 am - Minneapolis, MN
Hey Melissa! Glad to see some more MN lesbians on here. I was afraid I was the only one. ;) Just read your profile .. do the hard days outnumber the good ones? I am concerned about the throwing up (of course). I've never been much of a puker and don't really want to start. I've already started looking for a counselor too. I know I must have some food issues to get to this weight. I see you be honest about emotions - I'm afraid of all those as well. I already cry easy enough! Did you have a choice in the type of surgery you had (open vs lap) or was it something your insurance or surgeon decided? I would prefer lap if possible, but I'm one of those "apple" body types....looking forward to one day buying a pair of pants that fit me everywhere instead of just the waist! Your partner sounds wonderfully supportive. Just curious, has she had any weight issues in her life? Nick, my partner, is awesome as well. We've been together almost 2 years now and I love knowing she is behind me 100%. She's not really had weight "issues" herself -- she's not super thin either though so she understands my struggles. I just thank god we found each other. Sorry I have so many questions/comments online here. You can feel free to e-mail me anytime!
twincitiesbear
on 10/31/05 7:35 am - Burnsville, MN
I have my surgeon appt on Nov 7th, so have not had the surgery yet. Not a lesbian either, but a gay male. I have a lesbian friend that had the surgery 2 years ago today. I have relied a lot on her for information. The surgeon I have chosen is Dr. Paul Benn at Fairview. So far, I have been very pleased. It would be fun to get a group of GLBT folks together that are on the decision journey or have aleady had the surgery. Feel free to email me at [email protected]
Jen W.
on 10/31/05 10:44 am - Minneapolis, MN
Hi Michael! Good luck at your appointment next week. Have you been approved by insurance yet? I think a support/get together group for MN GLBT people who've had WLS would be awesome! It's a great way to meet other people and to share fears/triumphs, etc. I notice about 4 or 5 on the boards right now ... I wonder how many of us are "out" there.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 427 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 1004 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1372 views