maybe a silly question......

Sara B.
on 10/10/05 11:04 am - Akron, OH
Hey everyone, When I was around 18 or 19 my father had open heart surgery. Afterwards he said that the one of the most painful things was when they pulled out the drainage tubes. Ever since I have been afraid of tubes like that. Does anyone one know that if there are drainage tubes involved with the lap procedure? Also the intubation tube that is put in your throat.....is that out before you wake up? I know, I know these are probably silly questions..........
(deactivated member)
on 10/10/05 11:54 am - Milwaukee, WI
I had a drain tube with my lap RNY that they took out the day I went home. It didn't hurt to take it out, but it did feel funny. However, they had a problem getting it out because my muscles were clinging on to it. The intubation tube came out before I was awake. I think I might have kind of been awak and they told me to cough or something, but I can't be sure. No matter what, tubes or not, I'd do the surgery all over again!
daniel patrick
on 10/10/05 11:58 am - Glen Burnie, MD
No question is silly.... The intubation tube was not an issue at all. You should be totally under the anesthia when that is done.... Not something to even ponder about. The drainage tube wasn't an issue either. It was a little odd having this plastic bottle hanging around...but not a problem. When they took it out...it was slightly uncomfortable but not painful. What bothered me the most was seeing how long it actually was when it was finally removed. Needless to say, I wouldn't worry much...
David B.
on 10/10/05 12:08 pm - Modesto, CA
Not everyone has a drainage tube. I did and it was a strange feeling when it came out. But I know others that didn't have a drain. I heard something about the CPAP. If you are on one then they do the drain. I am not for sure but that is what I heard. David
(deactivated member)
on 10/10/05 3:55 pm - Oakdale, CA
I just had surgery on Monday and I did not have a drain tube. The only tube I had coming out of me was the catheter. At first it was odd, but you got used to it. It wasn't even in for 24 hours either. When they pulled it out, it felt like they were just pulling out a tampon (sorry guys) As for the tube they stick down your throat, I was so worried about this because I gag brushing my tongue each morning. But I was under when they put this in, and didn't even realize it had been in. I did not wake up with a soar throat or anything either (it was taken out before I woke up). I hope I answered all your questions.
Meltingman
on 10/11/05 1:08 am - Malvern, PA
I had two tubes one came out after two weeks and the other after a month. Niether tube was not painful as it was pulled it just felt wierd. It was out before the feeling even hit to be quite honest and then felt fine with in seconds. As for the intubation tube going in and coming out. If you use a CPAP machine they may have to put it in and pull it out while you are awake. This was a huge fear of mine. I really was concerned about it. Going in it was not fun but to be quite honest I was so drugged at that point a barely remember it and as soon as it was in I was OUT. I don't remember the intabation tube coming out but they said I was waking up as they pulled the tube. My partner said I said mumbled something about having a deep throat when it came out but of course I don't remember that at all. I understand your fear but will tell you it was not nearly as bad as I had imagined in my head! In fact is was a breeze! Please feel free to email me if you have any other questions about this. Chip
Cheri B
on 10/11/05 3:44 am - Forked River, NJ
Every surgeon has their own procedure. Part of picking my surgeon was because of his protocol concerning the surgery. Some surgeons still do not administer antibiotics which is very scary to me--more so than leaving a drainage tube in. I personally did not have a drainage tube. The intubation portion of surgery prep is usually done when you are asleep (and 99 percent of the time the extubation process is done when you are coming out of anesthesia, but not alert enough to where you would remember it). One of my friends had the same surgeon as me and he was intubated while he was awake due to his weight. (After a nice relaxing ****tail of ativan) He was 495 at the time of surgery. Many times anesthesiologists are wary of putting someone under if they are a certain weight. (I found out right before surgery that I was probably going to need extra anesthesia because I am a redhead--apparently we need more!!!) Just keep the communication lines open between you and your doctor. YOU ARE ENTITLED TO KNOW EVERYTHING THAT IS HAPPENING TO YOU. My surgeon provided me with everything I asked...and part of his protocol is to give you pictures of before and after (internal pictures). That was cool to look at. Don't fret...either way, it will all be over soon and you can start living again!!!! Hope this helps!!! -Cheri
& Then Some
on 10/11/05 8:38 am - in, FL
Hi Sarah, I didn't have to have any drains. It's each doctor's protocol similar to whether they like to do laps versus open procedures. I didn't remember anything about the removal of the tube after surgery. And it's true, no question is silly, so ask away-whenever. Thats why we're all here
ChaadMN
on 10/12/05 7:50 am - Otsego, MN
I also had the surgery done LAP. No drainage tubes were used. It all depends on your doctor. As for the intubation tube....I don't remember it going in or coming out. Chad
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 427 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 1004 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1372 views