I hate eating

daniel patrick
on 10/8/05 7:21 am - Glen Burnie, MD
I am just about 7 weeks post-op and I am starting with regular food. My breakfasts are still the carnation instant breakfast with protein, lunch is generally two slices of ham with cream cheese and olives..rolled up and sliced into little "sandwich rolls", and dinner is meat, potatoe and veggies. I try to keep dinner under 4 ounces... But I am so confused and uncomfortable with the whole eating process. I am forever head-hungry but not physically hungry. I eat because I know I have too..but I am afraid I am eating too much or too little. I weigh in on Monday and it will be my first real food eating weigh in..and I am terrified that it will be a gain. I don't eat until I am full...I try small bites..but I find them to be pretty normal bites... I just find this to be a hassle. Worst part of the surgery so far..... Any advice...suggestions...lusty thoughts (lol)...
Merrickkitty
on 10/8/05 7:41 am - EAST BAY, CA
Daniel, I have read that the feelings you have are a normal part of the progression after surgery. Since I am pre-op, I probalby cannot help you as much as others who are post-op and further along in the process than you. I have read if you eat in the order of 1) protein 2) veggies 3) carbs, you should be more comfortable. Also, what makes you uncomfortable now may not do the same in a month or two. As for weight gain, as long as you expend more energy (calories) than you consume, you should not see a gain, unless you are strength training also, then the gain may be in muscle. In that case, "weigh" in using the measuring tape, or use the BMI scale at your doctor's office if he/she has one. Now, lusty thoughts.....mmmmmm, sorry they all involve girls....cause I love me some girls.... Maureen
(deactivated member)
on 10/8/05 9:24 am - Milwaukee, WI
Hey Daniel! You had surgery 2 days before me. I've been on nearly normal foods for 2 weeks now. When I say near normal, I mean that I'm eating bigger variety of things that taste good and are healthy for me. You'll quickly find that your body will tell you if a food that you eat is right for you or not. And you may be surprised to discover that 2 oz of chicken feels completely different in your body than 2 oz of egg. I'm finding that the key to head hunger for me is variety. If I eat the sme thing over and over, I start to lust after real food. Ha. But if I switch up meals and try different things different days, I feel like I'm getting "real" food. This means I've also had to learn to make smaller meals and prepare smaller amounts. One regular sized chicken breast will last me 3 meals at 2 oz each. But I make certain that I don't have that for lunch 3 days in a row. Also try lots of different condiments, sauces and spices. The taste sensations can be really satisfying. As for eating too much, you'll know. I wondered the same thing because I never felt full. Well, "too full" with my old stomach meant aching pain that made me want to sit in a chair and not move. New "too full" means I start to feel "heavy" in my chest. I can tell when I"m getting to the point of having enough to eat because I feel the urge to burp. FInally, to help with eating too much or too fast, I got some baby sppons and forks at the dollar store. Excellent way to manage bite size. Good luck! Jen
David B.
on 10/8/05 12:15 pm - Modesto, CA
Sounds like you are normal. Sorry, I know I hate to know that I am normal, but as far as what you said I have been there and I have read the same a few times.I can't wait to do the ham slices and cream cheese with olives, ummmmm that sounds great. As far as getting full, well I have not felt that yet and I am about a little more than 4 months out. I was told that our new pouch takes a while to get all the feelings back and then we will feel hunger and the full sensation. I know if I eat too much I will barf. Sometimes that is 2 bites of chicken and sometimes that is a piece of fish and some vegies. Go for the protien first that is the best, so I second that. As far as gaining, I don't think that will happen if you are getting in your water, exercise and eating smaller portions. I am losing little by little. It feels good. I had someone tell me the other day, "Don't get too slim." Slim, slim, did that mean I was slim? That feels good. My doc said I was doing well. No meds for anything and that I could stop testing my blood sugars. Now lusty thoughts....well you have to email me for that. Do email, it would be great to talk to you. David
Racer13
on 10/9/05 7:47 pm - Dallas, TX
Daniel, I will try to condense this as much much as I can. My expierience has been that when I eat too much I hurt. I asked my Dr about this and she told me that my pouch sits on my pancrease and if it is full it is pressing down on the pancrease. Where I was feeling this, suprisingly enough, was in this center of my back and it would radiate to my chest. Since I now know what that pain is, I take care to measure the food so I dont get to much in..and I have actually started to tell myself that I dont have to eat everything on my plate. Thats a hard habit to break Head hunger is and b**tch. Like the others said, I find variety and spices help that. (variety is the spice of life..who knew!) My bet is, you havent gained. I know its scary when you first start with real food, and it is a hassle, but make it a habit to eat good now, and that habit will stay with you. Lusty thoughts? hehehehehe..after this weekend..I have many..but thats email talk! Robert 428/364 slowly but surely!
Cheri B
on 10/11/05 4:05 am - Forked River, NJ
Hi Daniel- I have to say that I hit a really bad slump at around 7 weeks myself. But it was my own fault. I did a no no and perused through the 'failed' message board on here and got so depressed. I didn't eat anything but protein shakes, vitamins, and water for nearly a week and a half. I was so scared of failing too. My GF, thank god, caught me doing this and read me the riot act. After that, we got down to business and started adding a wide variety of foods to our diets. (She is RNY post op also). Certain things still do not sit well with me--like bread, eggs, and red meat--but I still keep trying other things all the time. Soup is a new one for me. One of the hospitals I bring patients to has a soup toureen for EMT's and I try what they have every day. It's warm and yummy and in one shot you have vegetables, fluids, and usually a good bit of protein. I have also experimented a lot with cooking and baking...trying out splenda in different recipies (NOTE: do NOT use splenda to bake anything that should resemble a cake because it's gonna come out looking like a truck ran it over!!) I have three simple rules that I follow and it is working out for me. I am not plateauing and I am losing at a slow and steady rate. These rules are: keeping my proteins up, not eating anything that's deep fried or has sugar, and training myself to drink any approved liquids when I get head hungry. (warm decaf tea is filling). Do what's best for you, but I hope all these great people here can help you out even just a little bit!! Take care!! -Cheri
COBRANAN
on 10/23/05 6:48 am - PORT JEFFERSON, NY
I am so comforted by your post because I was the same way when I had my surgery 8 months ago. I was so tense and into my head over it all that I was not really feeling the experience of eating. I had been so compulsive and addicted to food that I NEVER HAD TO THINK about it. I just grazed and consumed whatever I wanted in the moment. So post op I was very stressed over the food, protein and fluids. Everytime it was time for meto eat I had to wait a half hour because I had just drank. Then I'd eat and be thirsty and have to wait another half hour. I was very obsessed and fearful of not doing the right things correctly.And I missed "the old sensations" over eating offered...the sensation of "ah...I had my 'fix'!" Now I am less so. Why? Time is the only explanation I have. Good luck, buddy!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 427 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 1004 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1372 views