Hi everyone.

David B.
on 9/17/05 3:41 am - Modesto, CA
Well, I am going to change the number. 4 it has almost been 4 months since surgery. The 25th will be the day. I feel great. I have been on the same weight for almost a month. I am thinking about going back to stage 1 eating. I was a light weight I guess going into this, so the weight doesn't come off like others. I can also say that I have not really had the energy to get to the gym like I was. I work as a Special Ed. teacher and I have one tough class this year. I have had to call Child Protective Services last week, I have children that are so dang cute, but also not the type of disabilities I usally have in my class. I am up to 17 students with 1 full time aide and 2 one on one aides that work with students with autism. I am plum tuckered out at the end of the day. I also have a concern about what I am eating. All you newbies stop reading now. This is a cry for help from those who have walked before us. Here goes...I am finding it easier to eat things that have crunch. Like crackers, totilla chips, pretsels, see anything wrong? Carbs all carbs. Help!!!!!! It is easier to eat carbs then anything else. I do get in my protien, but as far as eating soft foods I have a hard time. Has anyone else done this and how did you get away from it? I can eat stage 1 foods,but stage 2-4 has been very hard for me. I know I could lose more if I stayed away from the carbs, but I cant get the other foods down. I don't need to get to a weight that is "normal" I have never been normal and don't want to get there now. I started the day of surgery at 265 and am at 210. I just want to get to 199. I know 11 lbs. It has been only 4 months. I need to know what to do to get past this. OK newbies come back. I just don't want you to get any wrong ideas about eating. I want you to have positive role models not a carb munching man that has risked his life to have the surgery in the first place and not doing what he is supposed to do. I fear I might have ruined my chance at the "honeymoon". Love to all. On the journey, David
Merrickkitty
on 9/17/05 4:10 am - EAST BAY, CA
Good morning David, Well, after three sleeping pills (the last one at 3 am), three hours of sleep and three pounds of plaster of paris washed out of my hair, you'd think I could sleep? You'd Think. So, I have read about those plateau-ing, doing a "Shock" (amazingly along with the theme of things,) three days of protein shakes, then back to a your recommended diet. Do not forget, that while you are working out, you may be gaining muscle at the same time you are losing fat, so the real gauge for weight loss when you are on a plateau is the tape measure. As for keeping other foods down other than carbs you need to talk to your surgeon. Believe me, still after recently losing 57#, carbs challange me on a meal by meal basis. You have lost a great deal of weight in 4 months, and plateaus don't mean that you are a non-loser (if loser is the good thing to be.) See your Doc regarding your digestion problems.....you'd advise me the same thing if the posts were reversed.....wouldn't ya? Lots of ((((Hugs)))), Try not to get too discouraged! Maureen
Meltingman
on 9/17/05 11:39 pm - Malvern, PA
DAVID, My hat is off to you! 17 special needs students in one room and some are autistic??? Yikes No wonder you are eating carbs. I'm sure your body is going for energy to keep up with all of those kids!! I worked for 14 years in a special education school (Emotionally distrubed, Neurologically impaired and Autistic/ PDD), before moving to regular ed 6 years ago. I still get overwhelmed but nothing like what I experienced in my old school. Working with Special Needs students is very rewarding but oh man is it difficult. I hold you in the highest regard my friend! As for the eating I'm going through a very similar phase. At least I hope it is a phase. Unlike you I'm doing horribly with getting in the protien. I really feel nausiated by the texture of protein foods. The only protien I can currently stomach is peanut butter (natural of course) and almonds or a protien shake. Sometimes I can do salmon but beef or chicken......... I have been eating a lot of the south beach meal replacement bars because of the crunch and the fact that they do provide some protien. I have been getting to the gym about 3 to 4 times a week so I'm still losing (of course I have a lot to lose so it comes off easier). Sorry I'm not offering any good suggestions I hope someone one can at least tell us this is a normal phase and it will pass. I also think I'm eating far less volumn wise????? The other thing I noticed is that I can't drink water for about a hour after I eat. It used to be 30 minutes then 45 and now an hour. Chip
ruthdebra
on 9/18/05 8:24 am - Palm Springs, CA
Hi David, I so admire the work you do and can certainly understand why you are tired at the end of the day. You'll get back to exercising more I'm sure when the change of school starting again gets a little older. The thing about eating carbs is that it is so hard to stop once you start. My first suggestion is that you give away or throw away all that you have and don't buy any more. I find that if I stay away from carbs for 24 hours I can stay away for weeks or months. When I was in the weight loss phase, the only carbs I ate were veggies and fruits and maybe half a bagel once a month or so. I never was any good at moderation. I'm learning but it isn't easy. If you absolutely are hungry for crunch, buy some soy nuts. I wonder if you're able to get the crunchy foods down because they get chewed up very well. If you're getting in your protein are you eating it or drinking it? You don't have to have any soft foods if you don't want to - are you able to eat any dense proteins? If you continue not being able to get soft foods down you may want to consult with your surgeon again - you may be having some esophogeal spasms or something. Congratulations at such a good weight reduction in a short period. It does slow down when there is less to lose. And yes, you may be losing inches or gaining muscle. Our major goal for the habits for the rest of our lives is to concentrate on dense protein. That is the best way of achieving satiety which is what this tool is about. Even though you only have a few more pounds to get rid of you're still pretty new at this. The most important thing I learned in my first year is that establishing good habits in your first year will stand you in good stead for the rest of your life. What is normal? My goal was and is to be at a weight that is healthy for me and to get rid of as many co-morbidities as possible for my age. I've been there for over 5 months now and it feels so good. It's not a number on a chart or a size of clothing or someone else's concept but is so individual. Drink your water, eat protein first, exercise as you are able to, don't snack and you'll get to 199. Probably not as quickly as your original loss but you'll get to wherever you want to go. Take good care of yourself. Your students are lucky to have you as their teacher. Ruth
& Then Some
on 9/20/05 3:07 am - in, FL
Hi David I'm so right there. I had my surgery in April and I'm finding I am doing/feeling the same literally in the last few weeks. When I am eating the bread with the sandwhich, etc.. I feel like a failure, but I know that I am not, just as you are not. Chad was right about not being able to eat the amt. as we did before. That is comforting, but when the scale won't move it's disturbing. I'm hungry, seems like all the time again. I'm also scared that the 'honeymoon' period is over. If it is then it is. Either way we will keep fighting! We didn't come this far to give up now! I know that you will keep losing, slower yes, but you will make your goal and we will be here to shout out "woohoo" to YOU!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 427 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 1004 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1372 views