Insomnia

skye56
on 9/14/05 7:21 pm - Amarillo, TX
Anyone having problems sleeping since WLS? I'm not sure what is contributing to mine, but enough is enough. I don't have trouble falling asleep......it's staying alseep. For the past year, I wake up on the average between 3.oo & 4.00 a.m. and not able to fall back asleep. The last 4 nights, I've tried a prescription sleeping aid (ambien 5 mg) to see if it will help. So far, it hasn't. Sure, it helps to fall alseep, but that's it. For instance, this morning, I woke up at 2.30 after taking the pill at 9.00 p.m. last night. I tossed and turned for 45 minutes trying to get back to sleep. I finally gave up and threw back the covers at 3.15 a.m. As far as I know, there's no underlying physical or mental problems associated with my inability to sleep. Am I the only one with this annoying habit (?) - - maybe that's what it is.......a habit. Suggestions for sleep is greatfully appreciated!! Vicki
Meltingman
on 9/15/05 12:13 am - Malvern, PA
Vicki, I thought it was just me!!!! I'm have definitely had trouble with sleep since the surgery. I get up every morning between 2:00 and 4:00 and can't go back to sleep. I've blamed it on my CPAP machine pressure being too high but even when I tried to sleep without it I still woke up. I'm not really overly tired during the day so I haven't been too worried so far. I also think all of the exercise may be giving lots of energy. I see my sleep doctor next week so I'm going to run all this by her. Thanks for the post I thought I was the only one who was experiencing this. Chip
skye56
on 9/15/05 9:36 am - Amarillo, TX
Hi Chip - thanks for the reply. Even prior to my losing weight, I never had a sleeping problem. It's just been within the last year. I don't have any emotional or physical problems so I can't figure it out. Maybe it's just cause I'm gettin' older........I dunno. Hopefully, your sleep doctor can get you sorted out. Good luck! Vicki
& Then Some
on 9/15/05 6:21 am - in, FL
ME3! Are you on Synthroid? I found that the dose that I took when I was heavier is too much for me now. My doc is tappering it. I like the energy in the day, but like you said it's very annoying when your trying to catch some Z's. I don't know if this is actually the problem, just a thought
skye56
on 9/15/05 9:40 am - Amarillo, TX
No, I'm not on synthroid, but just today I had a recheck at my gyn doctor concerning a minor surgical procedure I had done last week. While there, we discussed my insomnia at length. He ended up putting on that new drug........lunesta. I've heard good things about it so thought I'd give it a try. I'm not one too keen on sleeping pills, but I'm at my wits end. I need some sleep!!! We'll see what happens. Vicki
Merrickkitty
on 9/15/05 10:58 am - EAST BAY, CA
Ever since I hit like 39, I cannot sleep through the night 350 out of 365 nights of the year. It is really disconcerting. I hope this isn't amphlified with surgery....I may as well go back on graveyards! Maureen
skye56
on 9/16/05 11:51 am - Amarillo, TX
Wait till you hit 49!!! It gets worse - or it has with me anyway. You have no idea what I'd give for just one good night of sleep, not waking up until about 10.00 the next morning. I don't see it happening soon. Vicki
P566
on 9/17/05 3:39 am - SoCal., CA
Could it be a peri menopausal symptom ? I suppose you and your Gyn would've discussed that. Have you tried the Lunesta yet ? I'm curios if it worked for you.
skye56
on 9/17/05 8:03 pm - Amarillo, TX
I just saw my gyn doc last Thursday. We discussed menopause, depression, stress........all the things associated with insomnia, including health issues. I'm not taking HRT, haven't been for the last year and advised him I don't want to. My symptoms of menopause aren't severe as yet.........very few hot flashes, etc. He put me on Lunesta that day, I filled them right after the appointment and took the first one that night. Let's see..........it's been 3 nights now with Lunesta. I've gotten up between 2.30 & 3.00 a.m. each morning with absolutely no ability to fall back alseep. So......here I sit at the pc again. So to answer your question.........no, lunesta hasn't worked for me - yet.
P566
on 9/18/05 2:57 am - SoCal., CA
Wow Vicki; I can't come up with any ideas as to why the insomnia. I don't blame you for staying away from hormone replacement though. It might be helpful to google insomnia: causes of, and see what pops up. There just might be a recent medical study that will be helpful to you. I could be wrong but, if Lunesta isn't working at the prescribed dose-- it's not going to get anymore likely to work with prolonged use. Sleep meds-- I believe--are not required to be at a particular blood level to work. Maybe ask the pharmacist as well as google Lunesta?? Keep us posted OK ?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 427 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 1004 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1372 views