I'm alive and...

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/05 7:53 am - AL
trying to get back in gear. We just got our cable/internet service back on today. Here's the breakdown: Monday, the storm hit HARD. The hardest/feircest was around 8pm or so, and didn't end up until early Tues morning. Our roof is completely scaled from shingles and there are holes here and there which have left our bedroom leaking ALL over, the light in the middle of the room (in ceiling) is just about to drop because of water damage, so we've been moving things around and sleepin on the couch. I cannot begin to tell you how it looks right now out here. TONS of trees/power poles/lines down. They worked diligently yesterday afternoon to make sure our power got back on. I took few snapshots of our street and neighborhood right here at the University. I will post those somewhere soon. Yesterday (Tues) we went walking all over the neighborhood, where we could and almost every corner we turned, trees were leaning on power poles with live wires still snapping and lying on the street. Then we walked on the quad on campus and streets were impassible by car/truck. People were out filming/taking pics of the damage. Luckily no buildings were hurt very badly, only roof/windows and trees swiping them but none totally destroyed. Our power kept going off and on and each time the workers would work on one pole down the street, the transformer here in front of our window kept BOOMING and popping and off the power went. I guess the surges were too much since so many poles got knocked down. I saw Stacey where you posted you called. I have to save my minutes for talking to my family right now. I really wanted to chat, and ask Melissa F. she knows I can talk and talk. Thanks for calling and checking in on me. I really appreciate it more than you know. Just pray for those in New Orleans and Biloxi/area in MS that's TERRIBLE what they're going thru. I consider myself very lucky. I had to go thru that terrible storm alone because everyone got stuck and couldn't come be with me, and as the power was out I could watch outside my window transformers blowing one right after the other all over campus you could see HUGE blue balls of fire and sparks and you could hear trees snapping (sounded like gunshots) and it was surreal. The wind would be 50+mph nonstop for like 5-10 mins (or more) then all the sudden die down really still. We had like upwards of ten tornado warnings off and on. Well just wanted to update you all and let you know I love and really appreciate everyone's support. I won't be online much the rest of the week but today I'll try to answer all the emails as I can. Thanks again, and I'm SO happy to be returning to "normal" however, I can't do anything but cry everytime I see the news of lower AL and MS and LA...its awful...poor poor people, they're stranded.
daisymae
on 8/31/05 11:31 am - Middletown, NY
Lap Band on 04/04/03 with
Hi Beth, Thank God you are ok. It's funny, I have only been coming to this chat room for a short time, but the level of care and concern for everyone here is just unbelievable. I don't know you, but I was worried about you! I am so glad to hear that you are ok. Property can be replaced but you can't! Take care, be well and post when you can. You are in my thoughts! Carol
Jessica D.
on 8/31/05 12:07 pm - Edmonds, WA
Beth!! Thank you for letting us know that you're okay. I'm so sorry about all the madness surrounding you. We're thinking of you and sending you love and calm weather all around you. Please take good care of yourself and whatever family you can get to!! Jessica
special kay
on 8/31/05 1:18 pm - Ladson, SC
Hey Beth!!! I am so happy you are ok. I was thinking about you as I watched the news today. Take Care and Keep in touch. Kay
P566
on 8/31/05 1:25 pm - SoCal., CA
So glad you're ok. What a nightmare. I take your sisters in Mobile are OK ? I was watching the coverage of LA and MS. The devastation is near total in some areas. I was also struck by the realization that so many people stayed in their homes because they are too poor to buy gas to get to safe ground !!! The hurricane struck at the end of the month and people had not received their gov. checks yet. The people wanted to leave but had no means ! That just isn't right ! There has got to be a better way. Like if there's an emergency and people are asked to evacuate they should be GIVEN fuel to get the **** out for God's sake ! No doubt most of the poor are elderly or women and their children . Sorry for the rant. I'm glad you're OK. Take good care darlin'.
Danielle.
on 8/31/05 3:29 pm - Here In, OR
Beth, So glad to hear you are doing ok.
sexysweetsweet69
on 9/1/05 3:33 am - Milwaukee, WI
I am glad that you are okay, you have a lot going on, I do hope everthing get back to normal soon. TAKE CARE.
& Then Some
on 9/1/05 6:01 am - in, FL
Good to hear your ok. Hope everythings nearer to normal for you soon.
(deactivated member)
on 9/1/05 9:48 am - AL
Thank you all SO VERY MUCH!!! We're back on track now, roof got fixed today and it seemed like an ordinary day which is GOOD Whew, now if we can do something about this heat
Meltingman
on 9/2/05 1:51 am - Malvern, PA
Beth, I am so glad to hear you are okay. What an aweful mess. I have already registered two familys here in our school (Philadelphia area) from New Orleans who feel they won't be able to return for months and maybe a year. Glad you survived and hope things settle down soon. Chip
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 427 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 1004 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1372 views