It Is A Done Deal!!!!

MargeC
on 8/28/05 1:57 pm - TACOMA, WA
Had the surgery Monday. Everything went great! The Doc was able to do it laperscopic. So, the diet I did before helped. Also, the gallbladder came out. So far I feel no great pain, alot of discomfort, But that to is going away as time passes. Today was my first day out and about. Had my daughter drive me around. The hardest thing was being around fast, good smelling, food. Of course the grandson was hungray and I got him a hot dog. I had all I could do to retrain myself. Then, the fresh popped corn almost made me pass out. What a day! I came home and added some fruit to my protein drink hoping it would work. It did not. So my partner said get on line. So here I am . I know you all have had the same thing happen to you. The need to chew! Please give me some Ideas. Much thanks . . .Marge PS: H E L P !!!
TheRealMe
on 8/28/05 2:05 pm - Upper Marlboro, MD
Marge, Well....I haven't had my surgery yet (Sept 20) but I have used this trick for years. Have someone who isn't dieting ...(preferably your partner or grandson) eat what you are wanting ...then get a big wet kiss!!! Now you can taste the flavor and not have to deal with the food Jody
special kay
on 8/28/05 9:48 pm - Ladson, SC
I do that now to my partner or tell my daughter to let me smell her breath! Kay
David B.
on 8/28/05 2:57 pm - Modesto, CA
Marge, this too will pass. I know what are you are dealing with. For me I cooked for my partner and never wanted any of it. I kept my SF pudding and SF popsicles(that looks like a strange spelling) at hand and ate those when I needed something. I made frozen ice with protien and also had that when I needed to get something. As time goes by, and you see the changes, it gets to be easier to stay away from those. It feels good to see and feel the difference. Nothing taste as good as thin feels. Best to you on your journey. David
Stacey G
on 8/28/05 11:29 pm - Stow, OH
Hi David - Can you share a little more about "ice with protien" please. I am really struggling to get my protien and am interested in any ideas. I am glad you are hanging/staying around. You are always so positive and supportive!! Marge - Congrats!! I agree with David - it will pass! I just started eating solids (almost 5 weeks out) and it is amazing how things change. So I agree with David it will pass. Take Care - Stacey
& Then Some
on 8/28/05 11:00 pm - in, FL
Hi Marge, Congratulations on your surgery! I remember when I was still in the hospital, my family would go to the cafeteria and bring back Wendy's ~ ,oh, that was hard. I thought, here I am, I just had major abdominal surgery for obesity and I'm hungry! I was upset, no pissed off and felt like a failure. From what I had heard from others who had the surgery is that they wern't hungery. I sought "wisdom" from my surgeon. He said to take what I had learned about healthy choices and put them to work. uh, duh.. I think we all "know" what to eat and not eat, but it's sometimes overwhelming hard to do... Anyway, good news is that it DID fade away. There will, more than likely, be a point where you will have more will power then before. The junk foods just won't be as important as losing the weight. Just make sure you have something for yourself too. Find a good food "treat". Mine was/is Watermelon. From what I know, a ravenous appetite will return however (6 mon-2 years). Surgery isn't a cure for as I'm sure you already know. So, with all that said, good luck and keep using your support network and excercise - that helps tremendously with the appetite.
Stacey G
on 8/28/05 11:31 pm - Stow, OH
Wow - Thank god my hospital (the bariatric unit) did not allow people to bring food or drinks into the room!! That would have been tough!!!!
Merrickkitty
on 8/29/05 1:22 pm - EAST BAY, CA
Congrats on the sucessful surgery and promising recovery! I'll let others tell you about not eating tips, because I am pre-op...I am however interested in David's Ice Cube Tricks. Maureen
MargeC
on 8/29/05 4:00 pm - TACOMA, WA
Hi, Well, I'm so glad that day passed!!! I made my protein drink and froze them in 4 0z. containers. Had one tonight, it was great! Helps to eat it slower too because it was so hard. Eating as slow as they want you to has been a bear. I haven't cooked for my partner yet. And she won't cook in the house. But I told her she could and not eat out all the time. But she feels she's helping me. I keep looking at my notes to make sure I'm doing everthing right. I still have to take my diabetes meds though not as much. Need to talk to the doc about that. Suppose to take before meals. Since it doesn't come in liquid I have to crush them. NASTY!!! This is some journey. Thank you all for your help and info. Hugs, Marge
Cheri B
on 8/30/05 12:58 pm - Forked River, NJ
Congratulations to you!!! After my partner had her surgery, I took to eating away from her, so as not to upset her. I watched her go through the hardest time. But it wasn't until I had my surgery in June that I fully understood. Those first couple of weeks are the hardest, but you do get through them. It's funny how all of a sudden, you get excited when you are able to have something like mashed potatoes again. We have found together new ways to spend our time...window shopping, walking, you name it. We used to spend all of our free time eating. You will get through this time and then before you know it, you will be able to chew...and chew...and chew.... PS...I am venturing out here...I think what David is talking about is flavorless protein powder mixed with water and frozen. Ice chips are great for getting the 'chew' factor while you are on liquids... -Cheri
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 427 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 1004 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1372 views