pre-op diet???

Aynessa
on 7/25/05 5:13 am - Camden, NJ
hey everyone, I am almost at the step of setting up a date for wls I am finishing my last pre-op test on the 27th of this month and well I feel like I need to get started as in this eating thing so I was wondering if anyone knew any good diet I can get on that will get me ready for surgery so it wont be such a big change and to lose a few pounds never is bad but I just wanna get myself ready I have been drinking water all day long taken it with me where ever I go but the food is still there so if anyone has any suggestions about any diets I can start I would like to hear also I have joined the YMCA they have water aerobics and that's fun since I love the water I wanna do this right this time and I think by starting now the rewards will be much greater ty in advance for the help and input... Best of Luck Margaret L
Twirlygirlie
on 7/25/05 6:03 am - Springville, AL
Hi Margaret! Sounds like you are on the right track by getting prepared early. My Surgeon required me to do a low-carb low fat diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery to shrink my liver. I lost about 7 pounds doin that. And once, years ago, I lost about 70 pounds on Atkins. Hope this helps! kim
Cheri B
on 7/25/05 2:34 pm - Forked River, NJ
Hi Margaret...I am a couple days shy of being one month post-op. I was not placed on any diet, but having watched my other half go through the same thing, I loaded up on protein because you are going to need that to heal. I also used my time prior to surgery trying out different protein shakes so that I could get started right on it after surgery. I have several friends who had WLS, didn't have protein right from the start and they did not heal up nearly as fast as I have. Good luck to you and yours during this time!!!
(deactivated member)
on 7/26/05 11:23 am - Oakdale, CA
I too am doing a lifestyle change as a preop. I have basically just started having more protein and less sugars/carbs. My surgeon said if we were going to "pig out" we better do it now while we were going through the stages, and don't save it until the week/day before surgery. I figure I better get into the hang of it now so I am not in a stage of shock when I have the surgery. I personally have never been too big on the protein, and I am finding that this high protein and less carbs/sugars has made me start dropping the pounds. Every once in a while I have to add some carbs in because if I drop too much more I will be under 40 BMI and not qualify for the surgery. I wish you the best of luck with the next few months. Good job in joining at YMCA. You definitely have a great mindset!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 427 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 1004 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1372 views