Question of the day!

Jessica D.
on 7/21/05 7:40 am - Edmonds, WA
We have such a variety of people who post on this site. What kind of work do you do?? Did you get much support from your fellow employees, or were you hush-hush about your surgery or weight loss efforts? I'll answer first. I'm a registered nurse. I work with hospice patients to allow and support them in dying with dignity in their own homes, surrounded by people they love. I also work on weekends with little babies! Talk about the other extreme... Anyway, I work with handicapped and sick kids who live in group homes. My youngest patient was 2 months; my oldest was 21 years old. Nurses never rest!!! I didn't say anything to my workmates, because I felt like many of them would never understand the weight loss struggle. People are finally beginning to notice my weight loss, so that feels good... How about you? Jessica 302/265/175
ChaadMN
on 7/21/05 9:52 am - Otsego, MN
Hi Jessica!! I work for an investment company. I work mostly with mutual funds, but on occasion I do some options trading. As far as telling my co-workers abou my surgery.....hmmmm. I will tell them the truth if they ask, but if they don't ask its none of their business. I am sure they will all ask when I am out of the office for a few weeks. Chad
(deactivated member)
on 7/21/05 10:06 am - Oakdale, CA
I am a 5th grade teacher. I have already told my coworkers that I was thinking about it, before I had made up my mind. There were a few people who made comments like I wasn't big enough or why would I want to, but they are the ones who are the ones in meetings being negative about new policies etc. All of the coworkers that matter to me, are supporting me. Our principal also had the surgery, so I am very comortable talking with him about it. When I was off track last month, I had lost some weight because I had to be on a liquid diet prior to my colonoscopy, and then during the colonoscopy they did the polypectomy, and he wanted to keep me on a liquid diet after for a few days. When I returned to work, they had all asked if I had "the surgery." I told them I was aiming for October and hopefully then. I feel very supported, and I am generally just such an open person, that I couldn't imagine hiding it or not talking about it.
& Then Some
on 7/21/05 11:34 am - in, FL
Hi Jessica! I was pretty hush, hush about it with my co-workers, only telling a few close ones, but after the surgery I figured they were going to find out anyway so I should be the first to say it and I did. I figured if they have a problem with it, it's their problem. I was amazed at how supportive they were. And now that I am losing to where they notice I feel even more support.
TheRealMe
on 7/21/05 1:02 pm - Upper Marlboro, MD
Good question. I'm a real estate broker. I've worked for this company since 1986. I***** at age 47 I came out of a 29 year marriage and had my first woman to woman experience. Fell head over heels like I never had before ..... My life was so much better that it had ever been...I could not NOT tell everyone I knew .... after 3 months of researching WLS I made the decision this was what I needed to do ...so I just started tellling everyone I know that I'm going to do it. They can support or not ...it's my life, my decision and there is nothing to be ashamed about who I am ... or how I've decided to save my life. Of course, the result is lots of support (to my face at least). Those that initally question ...get a nice solid education talk from me ...and then they understand why. Jody
(deactivated member)
on 7/21/05 1:55 pm - Milwaukee, WI
I work in the creative marketing department for a large magazine publisher, writing and editing direct marketing promotions. Some people call it junk mail. I call it my job. At work, I've told my boss and a few close co-workers. At first I was going to tell no one, but soon I just had to tell some people because this was such a huge decision to keep to myself. So far everyone has been very supportive.
Pattie B.
on 7/21/05 5:17 pm - Orlando, FL
I think you know me, Jessica! LOL...I'm the musician you share your life with!
smaker
on 7/22/05 12:07 am - Dallas, TX
I am a school psychologist and work with special education students. I am on summer vacation right now and don't go bac****il August 10th. All of the other psychologists in the district knew I was going to have surgery. Several of them were secretly chit chatting about it because they had heard a rumor that I was going to have it done, so I just put a stop to that and announced it to all of them at a group meeting. It's going to be interesting to see their reactions after not seeing me for over 2 months. Stacy 6-10-05 326/283/170 5'9"
kel
on 7/22/05 12:13 am - Arlington, VA
You sound like a true angel ! I'm an office manager by day and a bartender at an alternative club in DC by night...oh yea, and a mother/daughter/lover/friend/etc somewhere in between! Kel
mylilcalla
on 7/22/05 2:38 am - Bloomington, IN
Hello , I work at a major university in the library system. I love my work here and the people here have been very supportive. I have always been open and honest about my surgery, and everyone here has really been wonderful. It's like having a few hundred of my very own cheerleaders, and I get open encouragement and compliments on a daily basis. There were a couple of "oh my god, don't do this" moments, but they were coming from acquaintences that changed their tunes really fast once I really started dropping the weight. Since it took me awhile to get back to work, the difference was pretty obvious the moment I returned so it has all been good. As for you Jessica, what wonderful work you do ! I think that by working with such opposite ends of the spectrum that it helps keep your work on an even keel. Best, Amy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 427 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 1004 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1372 views