Hi, I'm new here

stephenw
on 6/10/05 9:05 am - Cherry Hill, NJ
Hi, I'm from Long Island - new around here. My mom had WLS about a year and a half ago and has suggested perhaps I look into it. After about 2 months of it in the back of my mind I'm starting to learn more about WLS. Just wanted to say Hi and see who was around. Specifically I'd be interested in hearing from gay males and how their WLS has been perceived by their friends / aquaintences in the gay community. Stephen
David B.
on 6/10/05 1:03 pm - Modesto, CA
Stephen, I will tell you that I have found those in my hang out group both supportive and some really against it. Those who are against it are part of the "bear", "chub hug" group. They think I am selling out to the gay "norm". Well, I am not doing that at all. I did it for me and me alone. I am so in love with my partner,BTW-he is a chubby chaser-that I wanted to lose weight so I could spend more time on this Earth with him. Obesity takes years off of your life, so does the other health issues that come along with being obese. So far, and I am only 2 weeks post surgery, my partner is doing very well. I am not snoring, he gets better sleep, I am not up all night having to go pee, and I am not complaining about how I look before I go out. You know what the gay comminity is like about those of us who are bigger. Some look at us with hate, and the others look at us as a piece of meat because we are big. You must forget about that and think about what you want. I wanted to live a healthy life, and I knew it wasn't going to happen if I kept gaining weight. Best of luck on whatever you do. Welcome to our part of the world. David
stephenw
on 6/10/05 6:54 pm - Cherry Hill, NJ
I'm glad to hear you're doing well with your surgery. I never fell into the "bear" or "chub" groups - I never really identified with them, but I came to realize that because of size I don't really fit into the other "normal" gay groups either. My mind has been weighing quite heavily (no pun intended ) on looking into WLS because, as I saw someone say in another thread, I'm starting to realize that the "diet and exercise fairy" isn't going to come and swoop in and save me. After reading quite a bit through this site, I realize that at 42-43 BMI (where I am now) I am probably on the lighter side of people who pursue this surgery but I don't want to end up 10 years from now with a much higher BMI and wishing I had done it sooner.
bluemanma
on 6/13/05 1:41 am - Tewksbury, MA
Hi Stephen, I had my surgery at the end of August last year, so far I've dropped about 80 pounds. I've had nothing but positive remarks from acquaitences over the change in me. As for other people I know less well, I definitely get noticed in a more positive light as my thinner self than I was at my largest. Most of all I did it for myself. I feel more energetic, more confident, and more relaxed in public. I'm soooo glad I made the decision for lap-band surgery and couldn't recommend it enough. Steve
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 427 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 1003 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1372 views