What will I need??

Meltingman
on 6/3/05 3:20 am - Malvern, PA
Hello All, My partner asked me this morning, what else we need to do in order to be ready for my surgery. I suddenly got a little panicked thinking am I missing something. We bought a robe since I usually just walk around in my boxers when I lounging at home. It would be quite a sight if I did that in Temple Hospital's WLS ward. I also have purchased several protein powders and some sugar free crystal lite mix. We also plan to buy some very baggy shorts and a few very large cheap shirts because someone told me my incision may weep a little. Also I don't want any clothing that will be the least bit tight if I swell a little from surgery. Am I missing anything? I know it isn't like I'll be in the middle of Siberia but I'd like to prepare as much as possible. I'm going to cook a few meals for Heath since he only knows how to make spaghetti. I figure he'll enjoy eating out a lot while I recover. He needs to gain a little weight anyway so take out should help out that way. We'll if anyone can think of something I'm missing I'd appreciate hearing from you. Chip
special kay
on 6/3/05 8:34 am - Ladson, SC
Hey Chip I am pre-op and have NO clue what you will need (sorry) But I just wanted to say Congrats on your upcoming surgery and say Hi! This board is so quiet. It's good to know someone has a pulse! Aww, your partner can only make spegetti Thats better than my partner. She can only make baked chicken and Hamburger helper. No wonder why she has stayed 170 lbs and I'm the one that gained all the weight. Take Care and Good Luck in your journey! Kay
C. D.
on 6/3/05 9:35 am - Arabi, LA
Hey Chip, Slippers, because if you don't bring them you will have to wear the silly slipper socks from the hospital. A Picture of loved ones helped me feel better on down days. I can't think of anything else right now but maybe just your personal products like toothbrush, paste, hairbrush, deodrant, stuff like that. Good luck to you, my prayers are with you and your partner. C. Domingo
David B.
on 6/3/05 9:37 am - Modesto, CA
Well you sound like you are ready. I liked having my slippers to walk around in. I took my robe, but they had me in the surgery robe, two really-one on backwards to cover my backside and then the front, and that worked. It was kinda hard putting on my robe because you are all hooked up to the IV. Make sure you have your vitamins already at home. I forgot my reading glasses. I had stuff to read but couldn't. Yes, you do want something easy to wear for the ride home. I had a big shirt and baggy pants, with a pair of flip-flops. You know since I have been home I have been cooking, Eric, my partner some great dinners. Chicken with rice and green beans in oyster sauce. It hasn't bothered me a bit. It has freaked him out that I am wanting to do all the cooking but what the heck. Good Luck David
selat
on 6/3/05 11:30 am - Oakdale, MN
Don't forget to bring your own pillow (in a pillowcase that is a different color than white or creme so that the nurses don't mistake it for a hospital pillow). Not only will it help you sleep in the hospital, but you can use it to clutch on the way home for support. Also bring a toothpaste and toothbrush, you'll be more comfortable with your own than the crappy stuff that the hospital may provide. Ditto for any anti-persperant or deodorant. Wear something comfortable and easy to put on to the hospital and plan to wear it home (a sweatsuit with slip-on shoes are what I wore). Finally, bring a cd-player/ipod with headphones. If you have trouble sleeping, have a roomate, or get sick of watching TV, this will be something that could help you relax. Best of luck on the start of your journey!!! John
mylilcalla
on 6/5/05 10:51 pm - Bloomington, IN
Chip, I wouldn't worry too much about buying new shirts for this. You will be shrinking out of your old stuff pretty fast and you may just want to wear what you have now and save the buying of new for when you start loosing (which will be pretty much immediately). The pillow that you take is also very handy for making the ride home from the hospital more comfortable. I found that holding it against my tummy made the bumps easier to deal with. You may also want to take some chap stick or some kind of lip balm. My mouth was screaming for it in the hospital. I really didn't have that much need or want for things to take care of my extra time in the hospital, but everyone is different. The time will be filled up with sleeping, walking, visiting, and hospital stuff. I will be thinking about you as your day approaches, so please let us know how you are holding up and how you did afterwards as soon as you feel like it. Take good care of you and yours! Best, Amy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 427 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 1003 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1372 views