Something buggin me...

TracyDubyak
on 1/23/05 10:42 am - MacClenny, FL
Hello, I wanted to ask if any of ya'll came out to your Dr.? I have only had bad luck with them and Kinda afraid to let this Dr. I found in Gainesville,Fl Know I am a lesbian and I think I should when I go cause she will be the main one helping me and all.... I look at all this paper work and I know my main PCP Dr knows and is wonderful but I have been judged by many Dr's and it's just not right...But I know this is how this world will be. I have so many what if's and reading my butt off on this site...lol I hope to get to know most maybe all of ya'll...Any suggestions about anything Please let me know... Thanks Tracy
selat
on 1/23/05 10:59 am - Oakdale, MN
I am out to my PCP, my surgeon, the psychologist who did my mental health assessment, and my therapist for this entire process. At least in my case, my care staff has been very supportive and friendly, and as far as I can tell there has been no negative ramifications to them knowing I am gay. In my case it always would come up during the intake/first appointment getting to know you questions (married/single, do you have kids, etc?). I'd politely answer the questions and say that I was gay, and that was usually the extent of it. To be honest, I've found being straightforward about it in a medical situation is the best answer for me. In any case, it shouldn't really have any effect at all on the care you recieve. The only place it may matter is in the hospital if heaven forbid there are complications. If you have a partner, you may want to look into your options to ensure that they will have access to you, and be able to make medical decisions for you if that is your choice.
slickgt
on 1/23/05 12:58 pm - Bolingbrook, IL
I am out and honest to all my doctors. I've never had a problem. BUT, I can't tell you it didn't cross my mind. What if my surgeon had some kind of hatred for homosexuals. Think of all the power he holds over you when you're under the knife. I don't say this to frighten you, it just went through my mind. However, I have decided that these doctors must see all kinds of patients and have got to have learned not to let their personal feelings interfere with their professional lives. I had to be open and honest because my partner is listed and my ER contact and my medical power of attorney. I want my partner to be the one to make decisions on my behalf if I am unable to. I also want my partner there with me when I have meetings/discussions with my doctors etc. so he is fully involved. Good luck and nice to meet ya! Ed
Virgogirl825
on 1/25/05 3:17 pm - Ogden, UT
Tracy, You are not alone in re-thinking who to come out to. I am out to my PCP, Psych, and the hospital. I had the ER contact listed my partner. I did not come out to my surgeon. The question was never asked and I did not think it was any of his business. I really don't think it would have mattered one way or another. My discussions with him were short and to the point! :0) It is up to you whether you want to out yourself or not. I strongly urge you to out yourself to the hospital and give them your partners name. I don't know if you have a sibling close to you or a friend but have another trusted person listed as well. Before I went into the hospital I told both my partner and sister (listed as a contact) my wishes is something dreadful were to happen. This way everyone was on the same page. Good luck with your journey! -Brandy
Jenny B.
on 1/26/05 10:40 am - Cary, Jamaica
Hi I'm new here You know, I have never worried much about being out to my doctors. I just tell them straight out, and never care whether they like it or not. I've always been on an HMO up until now, and when I had bad vibes with a doc, I switched to another on my plan. As far as my RNY surgeon... well it never occurred to me to mention it. I live in Jamaica and am travelling to Mexico for surgery, and my contact people are my contact people. It didn't occur to me that anyone would ask me specifics. I'm going alone, but lots of people travel with friends, spouses, etc. I think they just assume that same sex couples are friends. ~~~~~~~~~~ Jenny in Jamaica Dr. Aceves; lap RNY; Feb 5 2005
Larakatya
on 1/28/05 1:00 am - Twin Cities, MN
I am out to my primary - so they know what questions to ask me in my healthcare intakes - rather than bothering me with a bunch of questions about pregnancy risks - they ask me about toy safety/sharing, and pertainent safer sex type questions. I came out to my Surgeon - I brought my girlfriend with me to the assessment appointment. (We actually made out on the couch in his office until he came in the room. It was a fun little game of "chicken". . .heheheheh). If he couldn't deal, it was going to be his problem, not mine. I came out to my therapist - because good god - how could she help me if she doesn't even know who I am? Also, I'm proud of how I came out - and the stregnth of it demonstrates my character through adversity very well - i.e. shows the therapist that I've done big changes before so don't worry too much about this one - I was going to be able to maintain through this one too. I am also out to my GYNO - because I am 99% sure she's a member of the "family" too. Don't get me wrong, I've had my share of negative medical experiences. . .but this one was big enough for me, I took the risk. However - I'm in MN where legally if they discriminate against me I can take legal action. So that does make me feel more comfortable about it. Do what's right for you, I'm not judging, ~Lara
MagickalMom
on 1/30/05 5:08 am - Joint Base Lewis McChord, WA
Tracy... all I can say is do what is best for you. Personally since I am married I did not have to worry about telling my surgeon anything about my sexual preferances but I am Pagan so the same thoughts you have had, I have had. TRUST ME, I receive treatment at a military hospital so my faith nor my private life exactly jive well with them. But I did not care... I wanted my High Priest & Priestess to be able to come into my room and help me after my surgery and since I was in the ICU, I knew that was going to be a problem (they have a 1 person limit to visitors). So what I did was place Pagan in the religion sectiona dn listes both of my HP/S by name and put that they were my spiritual council. Luckily I did not have too much trouble getting them into my room at one time even though hubby had to step out. My suggestion to you is to make sure that you have a medical POA for your partner and have a living will in place. That way even if the hospital does not want to respect your medical POA (which by law they have to) but anyways, your living will will dictate what treatment you recieve reguardless what your next of kin's opinion is. HTH! Brightest Blessings for a Wonderful Day~ Jamie M. Weight- 257/234/146 BMI- 44.1/40.2/25 Height- 5' 4" Surgery Date: 1/19/05 No matter what size, we are all Goddesses inside!
Meltingman
on 2/3/05 11:56 pm - Malvern, PA
I am out with all of my Doctors. In fact my life partner came to many of my appointments with me. When they ask the "married question" I always answer "I have a life partner." I will not say single or married. Chip
TracyDubyak
on 2/4/05 12:12 am - MacClenny, FL
Thank you every one of you for the advice... I guess I have had bad luck I am very open to my PCP and Therapist but I need other surgeries as well after this one on my left foot and waited 4 yrs due to I get ass wholes for Dr and they have asked if I was single or the GYN Dr ask why I don't use rubbers...lol So then I tell them and have seen a change come across there face and body even how they reat me as if I was white trash which I am not by Far... I think if it comes up I won't lie my g/f is very very butch many times when we have gone out even to the bars I laugh cause even Gay men have tried to hit on her...It's a trip but we have fun anyways... Thanks again so much, I will keep intouch still doing the paper work and getting ready to call medicare about what they need me to do... Hug's to All, Tracy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 427 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 1003 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1372 views