Can I have the exact post-op diet?

CurvySupersta'
on 1/7/05 12:18 am - Hazelwood, MO
Can anyone email me or post the exact diet for a post-op? From the time you wake up in recovery to a year out....I know different surgeons give different plans but I would like to get a head start. How long are you on liquids before you can get on semi-solid food and so forth? What is the best protein drink brand to buy?Is liquid protein better than powder? How many ounces a day for each liquid you have to drink everyday? What is the best multivitamin to get? Any suggestions will help! I 've seen a different plans on profiles but I don't want to go through every profile to find one. If you can just cut and paste one, that would be coo'. Maybe I can lose some weight before surgery...Thanks guys!!! I am anxious to get this list. Trina
mylilcalla
on 1/8/05 5:36 am - Bloomington, IN
Trina, You said it best yourself when you talked about different diets for different doctors plans. I understand what it is like to want to get that info though so here is what my doc said to give you some idea: A home made cheaper protein drink that isn't bad that my doc told me to drink was: 2 cups 1% lowfat milk 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk 1 packet No Sugar Added Carnation Instant Breakfast Each one provides 36 grams of protein and it is to be prepared and consumed twice daily between meals at least for the first few months. These provide 32 oz of liquid per day. First 6 weeks - I was on 2 oz/meal of full liquids. Full liquids are a little better than just liquids. 7 weeks to 3 months - 3 oz/meal including 1 oz protein at each meal then breakfast 1 oz fruit + 1 oz starch, lunch 1 oz vegetable + 1 oz fruit and dinner 1 oz starch + 1 oz vegetable months 4 and 5 - 4 oz/meal including 2 oz protein at each meal then breakfast 1 oz fruit + 1 oz starch, lunch 1 oz vegetable + 1 oz fruit and dinner 1 oz starch + 1 oz vegetable months 6 and 7 - 5 oz/meal including 2 oz protein at each meal then breakfast 1 oz fruit + 2 oz starch, lunch 2 oz vegetable + 1 oz fruit and dinner 2 oz starch + 1 oz vegetable months 8 and 9 - 6 oz/meal including 2 oz protein at each meal then breakfast 2 oz fruit + 2 oz starch, lunch 2 oz vegetable + 2 oz fruit and dinner 2 oz starch + 2 oz vegetable months 10 and 11 - 7 oz/meal including 3 oz protein at each meal then breakfast 2 oz fruit + 2 oz starch, lunch 2 oz vegetable + 2 oz fruit and dinner 2 oz starch + 2 oz vegetable one year to goal weight - 8 oz/meal including 4 oz protein at each meal then breakfast 2 oz fruit + 2 oz starch, lunch 2 oz vegetable + 2 oz fruit and dinner 2 oz starch + 2 oz vegetable Thats basically my docs diet. With protein drinks other than the recipe above, I use the powder. (I just ran out and I can't remember the name until I go to GNC and see the package to buy more). I like the taste better and I make smoothies with it. It gets my protein and helps with my liquids as well. Liquid, you need to shoot for 64, but don't dare get under 48 or you will dehydrate. (MY docs words) I'ts hard at first! I also drink milk, water, and Crystal Light. I take 2 Flintstones Complete a day. Again, what MY doc says. I also take Calcium (2 Viactive/day MY doc) and I take B12 shots every 2 weeks. Although that doesn't sound like a lot of food, I really had to work at getting it all in for the first 4 months. I felt like I was constantly putting liquid, food, or vitamins in my mouth and I could have cared less if I ate or not. Keep in mind that if you try to follow this diet before the surgery you will be HUNGRY and you probably wont stay on the diet. That's the tool that the surgery gives you. Anyway, I hope this helps for your "idea". Take Care, Amy
(deactivated member)
on 1/9/05 3:34 am - Yucaipa, CA
Trina, there is no one way to do this, its what your dr recommends and their all different. I did a search for you in the library and here is the link maybe this will help? http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/dbsearch.phtml
(deactivated member)
on 1/9/05 6:37 am - Yucaipa, CA
Sorry Trina I just realized my link didn't work. All you have to do is go to the libray link and type in "post-op diet" there is a ton of information and many different post op diets. I read your post again and I'm wondering did you mean pre op?? Good luck to you
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 426 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 1003 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1372 views