How I Feel About Yesterday

Saliena
on 11/3/04 12:15 am - Dallas, GA
Yesterday I did my American duty. I went to the polls to vote. I like over 6 million other Americans felt drawn to this election more then any other before. I did my civil duty I cast my ballot and I walked away feeling pretty happy with myself overall. However, one small amendment made me very nervous. It made me so nervous that I researched everything I could about this law. I wanted to make sure that I was standing on the right side of the amendment when verdict was rendered. You would think that with over 600 million dollars spent on advertisement that this decision would be about who would be the next leader of the free world. Would we make the decision to Lick Bush or Flush John? But, honestly this decision was not hard for me. I cast that vote with less then a second thought put into my decision. Down the line I went who did I want to be sheriff? Who did I think could do a good job as cornier? Who did I want to represent me and my values in the senate? These decisions were also easy. I moved through them without a problem already knowing my candidates and knowing who I wanted to win. Then the page flipped and I saw the question on the ballot that I dreaded to see Amendment One worded as follows, "Should we add an amendment to the Georgia Constitution that restrict marriage to the union between a man and a woman?" I sat there for a moment tears wailed up in my eyes. I cast no. Sitting at home last night I watched as the numbers came in for my local state. This amendment was almost overlooked and overclouded by the presidential reports. How many states does Kerry have? Did Bush really take Florida and how could that happen? I sat and stared at the bottom of the screen as all these people debated whom the leader of the Free world was going to be. Then I saw it amendment one pasted in the state of Georgia with an overwhelming 80%. I sat there stunned. I mean really I had known this was going to happen. Really I did... Didn't I? I just sat there silent and then I walked into the bedroom. I looked at my wife and I told her. She looked at me. One month ago on Oct 2nd, 2004 she and I stood before God, Friends, Family Members and we declared our love for one another. I told her I would love, protect, and cherish her as long as I could with all that I am. No it was not legal. But, it meant the same amount to me as any heterosexual wedding I had been to. Now the state I live in and the state I pay taxes in has the right to deny us any rights to our pursuit of the American Dream. It is not about religious freedoms, it is not about taxes, it is not about much else other then the fact that I love this woman with my entire being. But, I don't have the right to recognize that love or have it be recognized by the state. Currently, if my wife gets deathly ill the hospital and her family would have the rights to refuse me visitation rights. (Not that her family would ever do that.) We don't have the right to file for tax breaks. We don't have the right to legally have a family. Today I know what it feels like to be treated as a second class citizen. Today my heart breaks.... While it is true I am very happy to live in America and reap the benefits of living in such an amazing land. And, while Bush or Kerry celebrate their new victory I hope someone takes a moment and realizes that an entire sub-culture just because second class citizens. I will go along with what the majority wants. For honestly what other choice to I have? Other then to take my battle to court (which will be done). But, I want it to be heard that love has no boundaries and for those of you who live in states that voted down the rights to same sex marriage know that one day it will be legal and then perhaps I will not feel like a second class citizen. Until then every Oct 2nd my wife and I will celebrate our wedding anniversary even though we don't share the same rights as our heterosexual counterparts. Saliena Bowers
(deactivated member)
on 11/3/04 10:40 pm - Yucaipa, CA
Saliena, I agree with you whole heartedly!! I'm disgusted with this election. I voted for the first time in my life. People always said "vote" your vote counts! I'm sorry I feel like it's all bull ****!!! I think it's fixed, I feel an impending doom, I'm scared. I really feel my vote did NOT count. How can people think it's okay to discriminate against us????? I feel anyone who voted for Bush, voted against us and I'm hurt by that one fact!! Do people hate us that much?? What are they afraid of?? DAMN!! I WILL vote for the rest of my life, until we have what we need to feel normal, TO BE EQUAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone try and stop me now!!!! Just like Ruth said be "out" there, I count damn it!!! WE ALL COUNT!!!!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 426 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 1003 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1372 views