Hi, I'm new

slickgt
on 10/25/04 2:16 pm - Bolingbrook, IL
Hi everyone - My name is Ed and I live in a suburb of Chicago with my partner of the past 18 years. I have always had a problem with my weight and like many, have lost and gained hundreds of pounds over the years. I finally decided to have surgery and have made the first step in asking my PCP for a referral, which he said he'd do. So, I should be receiving that in the mail any day now. I know I have to have a psych evaluation and a consultation with the surgeon (not picked yet) but I'm very anxious to get this ball rolling. My partner isn't really comfortable with me having the surgery, but he wants me to be healthy, so he fully supports me. I'm hoping to meet some new friends here. Take care Ed
rainbow Q.
on 10/27/04 9:28 am - toledo, OH
Hi Good luck! I'm scheduled to have surgery on Dec 6th. I'm sooooo nervous and scared. Glad to here from family.
ruthdebra
on 10/27/04 2:11 pm - Palm Springs, CA
Hi Ed - and welcome to this group. Please tell your partner that he is very welcome to post also (if that's ok with you) with any questions and concerns that he may have. I'm 6 1/2 months out and 59 years old. The difference in my health has been astounding. I was on 5 asthma medications and had severe asthma prior to my surgery and now I have none. My bp is going down - and I feel so much healthier. My partner of 13 years was also very supportive. And she's so excited to have a healthier partner. I sure was in pretty bad shape prior to my surgery. Anyway - we're here for you during this process - good luck in finding a surgeon, etc.... My advice there is look for experience - it counts for a lot!!! Do not go to anyone with less than 500 cases is what I was told and I would like to pass that on. In Pride, Ruth
shane_lee
on 10/27/04 3:05 pm - Belmont, CA
Good luck to you. I so know what you are going through with your partner though. Mine wanted me to do what made me happy. So I did. He was supportive throughout, but I think he had his reservations. Now that I am 165# lighter, he's seen the results and is going through with surgery for himself. It will probably be one of the best things you will ever do for yourself. I am glad I considered surgery early before my health got too bad, but I was definitely on that road to poor health. I was taking BP meds and borderline diabetic. Now, all my labs are normal. Congratulations on taking this step for both of you!
rbradkc
on 10/28/04 7:10 am - Kansas City, MO
Ed hang in there. It has to be your choice. Some guys like us because we are big, some like us because we are small. We have to be happy with who we are no matter what our weight is.
Meltingman
on 11/11/04 7:23 am - Malvern, PA
Ed, I'm new to this as well. I have my first appointment with a surgeon a week from tomorrow on the 19th of November. My partner is also apprehensive but supportive. He is going with me to the first appointment so I think that will help to eleviate some of his concerns. I can't wait to be back to a healthy weight and to be able to ride my bike again. Chip from Philly
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 426 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 1003 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1372 views