New Here Surgery coming up soon!

Ann M.
on 7/2/04 12:12 pm - Norwich, CT
Hi All, This is my first post on this message board. I live in CT with my partner of 20 years. I am a retired manager for the state of CT and my partner is a nurse. My surgery is scheduled for this coming Tuesday and I'm excited and very scared at the same time...like going on a roller coaster ride. Everything is going great, all my tests came back a-okay and I'm anticipating that things are going to go smoothly on Tuesday. I am having the RNY bypass...and I have to have it "open" as my insurance won't pay to have it done laproscopically. I think that will be for the best in the long run...but it sure makes it harder "up front" (no pun intended). I have high BP, sleep apnea and reflux...I'll be very happy to get rid of the meds and the pills. I can't wait to be able to be active again as I used to be before I went to work in that high stress, sedentary desk job 25 years ago. That was when I started gaining weight. Then when I quit smoking I put on 70 lbs...that was the beginning of the end. I feel fortunate that I don't have heart problems, diabetes and I can still walk around (although my old sports injuries to the knees are not doing well with the weight). I am hoping that this surgery gives me the fighting chance to combat my weight problems and being physically active is one of the biggest keys to that. I'm really looking forward to the increased energy level and the feeling of being physically tired due to activity...rather than the dragging tired feeling I have now. I've started a 101 reasons to lose weight list and I'm up to #87 now. I'm going to consult this list frequently as I go through the next few years...to help me to remember why I have to be compliant with doctors orders. I'm babbling now, just wanted to say "HEY" to you folks. It's nice to be here. Ann Miller
ruthdebra
on 7/2/04 5:04 pm - Palm Springs, CA
Welcome to this board - and very, very good luck with your upcoming surgery. I also put on a lot of weight quitting smoking in 1988 - about 130 lbs. I had my RNY open on April 12, 2004 - had a very easy recovery. My surgeon preferred it that way due to my age (59) and co-morbidities such as hypertension and asthma. Everything went very well - And I think that I had far fewer complications and a quicker recovery than many with laparoscopic surgery. I healed quickly and have a small 4 inch scar - not bad at all. Less than 3 months later, I am more active, my BP is down, have not used my rescue med for my asthma - no wheezing at all. This surgery has given me so much. So don't worry about the open surgery - If there's anything I can do - or if there's anything with which I can help, you can also email me privately at [email protected]. Ruth
timsmith4441
on 7/2/04 10:15 pm - Omaha, NE
Ann, Congrats and Best Wishes to you on your surgery. I am just over one week post op. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. My partner is also a nurse. I know your partner will look out for you and take good care of you. Think positive, happy thoughts. Tim
jolli
on 7/3/04 10:10 am - FL
Hello Ann, I wish you the very best, and a God speed recovery. It is important for you to be 100% compliant with your Dr. orders because you deserve to be healthy! Live life to the fullest, God only knows we've been supressed long enough!! God bless you, Johanna
Jessica D.
on 7/3/04 11:53 pm - Edmonds, WA
Hi there! Welcome! Thank you for sharing your story with us. Congratulations on you upcoming surgery. I know the open procedure may have a bit of a longer timespan for recovery, but, in the end, you'll have your surgery, and you'll be on your way to wellness!!! How awesome is that?? Take care and keep us posted! Jessica
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 426 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 1003 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1372 views