Staywell (medicaid)

mariamikel1986
on 2/25/15 8:18 pm

I saw a nutritionist for my surgeon requirements, but PCP for my insurance approval. 

Almah3
on 2/26/15 10:40 am

I went to my primary care for 6 months to document weight loss diet and I went to psychologist to get weight loss surgery evaluation approval. I also got a letter of medical necessity from my pcp. Those were the only things I did and got approved. Good luck and happy and safe journey!

Alma

mariamikel1986
on 1/7/15 5:58 am

Hi all, I just wanted to post an update! All of my stuff from my surgeon was sent in to Staywell at the end of November. A few days later I called and was told that it had been denied and was asked if I wanted to appeal the decision. I said yes not thinking much of it because I knew I needed the letter from my PCP and 6 month supervised diet. I started the monthly weigh-ins with my PCP in December. Meanwhile I got a letter about my appeal saying I needed to reply. So I pretty much gathered everything from the past 6 years pertaining to weight loss. Doctor records, screen shots from my food diaries on myfitnesspal and caloriecounter.com, my weights from 2008-now, and a letter explaining my successful and unsuccessful attempts at weight-loss. So I have been over here thinking it wouldn't happen until May. I actually had my next weigh-in with my PCP next week. I got a call today from Staywell saying my surgery had been APPROVED! I then called Shands and they were just about to call me to schedule the date. It is set for January 29th! It has been a long 6 months! I started the process June 28th last year. 

Darlingmarch2
on 2/25/15 3:14 am

Did you have to see a nutritionist or just the weight loss program through your PCP?

HW:352lbs / CW:335lbs / First one-on-one appointment with surgeon: January 5th 2015

"Making the choice I believe to be best for me and mine and never looking back."

Vsg_j
on 2/6/17 8:41 am

I'm looking into getting weight loss surgery. I go to my dr today to talk to her about it. I have staywell also. I was wondering if they required you to lose a specific amount of weight before being approved for the surgery. I called them but all they told me what that my dr sends in authorization for the surgery and they approve it. I asked if we had to do a supervised diet and she said no. But everything else I find on line says 6 months. I just can't find if you have to lose any weight during the 6 month supervised diet.

aguilar86
on 7/7/17 5:00 pm - lakeland , fl

My dietician told me i dont have to lose weight . that i just cant gain weight. I have to check in with her once a month for 6 months this month makes my 3rd month. She said if i miss my appointment it will start over. But i got everything else done.

Jess13
on 8/10/18 8:12 am - Lehigh acres, fl

Hello I have a question when u get the steps of wat they require does that mean ur already approved or thats to see if u get approved..and does it matter if u lose weight while in the process or does that matter

CourtLosesIt
on 8/8/20 11:53 pm

Hey all! I'm headed to my final dietitian appointment on Wednesday (8/12). It will mark the 6 month mark of the required visits with her. I've done my barium swallow, EKG, PCP clearance, and psych clearance. As long as I can stay under my goal weight for four days, my surgeons office is going to submit everything to my insurance for approval.

How long from the day everything was turned in, to the day you got a call to schedule the surgery, did it take for you guys? I'm on medical leave from nursing school right now, and I'm stressing about not having the surgery and recovery completed by the time I'm supposed to return to school. I'm on staywell (as I assume you all are too), and I've done everything they've asked of me. I'd feel better if you guys were able to give me a time frame to reference for my own surgery, even though I know every case is different. Thanks in advance!

Alize-rivera
on 1/10/21 11:53 am

Did you get it ? What happened ?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr