Need a PCP in the St. Petersburg Area

missa0000
on 9/23/13 12:04 am - St. Petersburg, FL

Hello All

Just found out that Humana has changed requirements for WLS. All I need is a referral from my PCP and its on to the Surgeon. I have already chose Dr. Jessee to do my surgery.  I want the VSG. My current PCP  is a JSA doc and is totally against surgery. I'm 31 with a BMI of 55. I have high blood pressure and on 4 different meds. I am looking for a WLS friendly PCP. I have about 4 days left to change my PCP to become effective in October. HELP! I'm looking for doc that will write me a referral on My new patient visit. If it helps I have Humana HMO Staff. I'm a teacher with Pinellas County schools. 

Michael Eak
on 9/23/13 8:28 am, edited 9/23/13 8:29 am - Saint Petersburg, FL

Just about ALL of the Primary Doctors in Pinellas County are with JSA now.

It's a shame as JSA is about the money not about your medical health,

Check out these Primary Doctors in St.Pete:

Carlos Labrador      Michael Zimmer     John Kern

And update your OH profile, as it has you in GA. as your story may help someone else too!

FLParrotGirl
on 10/1/13 10:41 pm
VSG on 10/14/13
Don't know if you found one yet but Dr Ananda Som is wonderful!! He is very supportive of the surgery and was able to fill out all the necessary paperwork I needed. Plus he is very caring.
shannonmcgee
on 10/3/13 10:41 pm
VSG on 12/09/13

Since you have Humana HMO I think you have to go to JSA. They are wholly owned by Humana. If you had a PPO you could go anywhere. I work for a PCP in Largo and we only take Humana PPO. I wish you the best of luck.

PsychoWriter
on 10/31/13 7:44 am - St Petersburg, FL
Not sure if you found someone yet. Just saw your post. I have the best PCP and have seen him for over 15 years. I've seen him when i had insurance and I've seen him as a self pay patient. Just got new insurance, started a new job a year ago and am eligible. He was the deal breaker for me. If they didn't cover him I'd refuse the insurance. His name is Dr Eduardo Martinez and he's in Seminole. He was extremely supportive of my choice 2 years ago to get the VSG surgery and he's even used me as an "example" to talk to other obese patients who have been considering surgery since my health has literally done a 180-no more diabetes meds/insulin (i don't even have to test sugar anymore cuz it's in remission) blood pressure meds gone, all my blood work is perfect and I've dropped 180 lbs. Still looking to drop 30 more. Anyway, he's really good and supportive of the surgery, all the different options. He even went so far as to "push through"my medical supervised diet period since bc I've been under his care for so long he knew my diet and exercise regime. Anyway. Check him out if you haven't found anybody and i can give you more info if you need it. Also, I'm a pharmacy technician and deal with doctors offices all day long. They have the nicest, most competent, patient and understanding staff working for him that I've ever encountered. I can't give him and his office enough praise. I don't know what I'll ever do if and when he decides to retire...tho that's a long way out. Oh and he's the type of Dr that won't just pop in, write a script and pop out. If you need to stop and TALK with him, he'll talk. He's very caring.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views