robitodd
on 6/7/13 11:17 pm - FL

Hi, I'm Robin and I am just beginning this journey.  I have had 1 visit with the nutritionist and have my 2nd next week.  My first visit with my doctor is in July.  I hope to have the gastric bypass surgery.

I was told to give up my diet soda..the hardest thing I have done yet!  Also to drink a protein drink for breakfast every morning.  That's not so hard, but it is causing alot of stomach issues.  I can't believe how full the drink makes me feel.  How does your body handle it after the surgery?  Also do the protein drinks cause constipation?  I have had an issue with it since I began the drinks, about 3 weeks ago.

Thanks for any input you have!

Katie K.
on 7/8/13 10:20 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

After surgery, carbonated drinks can give you gas. They won't stretch your pouch, but some doctors like to say that to scare you away from them. Some people also have issues with artificial sweeteners after surgery.

Starting off with replacing breakfast with a protein shake is a good idea. What stomach issues are you having? How are you preparing your drinks?

I think what causes constipation after surgery is the lack of fiber, not the protein itself. Since we can only eat so much, we have to eat protein first because that is what keeps our bodies in good working order. I put Walmart brand benefiber in hot tea in the morning and in another drink at night. If you get the clear, water-soluble kind, you won't even notice it, I promise.

robitodd
on 7/9/13 8:05 am - FL

Thanks for the tips.  I have been drinking GNC Prolean. I has 25 grams or protein, 3 net carbs, and 170 calories.  I have found if I drink it slowly, it doesn't cause as many problems.  Sometimes it gives me pretty bad cramps, but they tend to go away after an hour or so. 

This month, they have me keeping my carbs below 100 grams and not drinking with meals.  The drinking thing is more difficult than i thought, but I'm really working on it.

I see the surgeon for the first time next Tuesday, so hopefully that will give me more info.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views