Dr. Kim or Dr. Marema?

kaoconnor
on 5/17/13 11:49 pm

I have been looking into both options for sleeve gastrectomy surgery and am located in Orlando.  While Dr. Kim is closer (right down the street), I've read that the office doesn't get back to people and the program fee is high.  I do read that he's a good surgeon and has satisfied customers.

And then I read about Dr. Marema, who seems to have a longer track record with bariatric surgery.  I haven't contacted the office but understand surgery is in St. Augustine, which would be a trip.  Not that I wouldn't travel (anywhere) for the right surgeon, but all things considered, it'd be nice to be close to home.

If anyone can weigh in here I'd appreciate it.  Experiences with one or another, program fees, requirements, surgery experiences, anything.  Also, I have Medicare right now and am hoping both surgeons accept that insurance.  Thanks!

Another Fatone
on 5/18/13 1:03 am - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

Hi

My journey with Dr Kim began May 8th, 2013. At that seminar the room was packed. Apparently Dr Kim has a big following. Everyone has gotten back to me except the nutritionist.

I picked Dr Kim when I read he holds the record for robotic assisted bariatric surgery with 1,000+. He claims to have performed over 2,000 bariatric surgery all together.  I then looked for any problems connected to him….as a surgeon. Let me know if you find any botched surgeries.

I am on Medicare and I also have BCBS of Illinois. I think between program fee, psycho and nut I will pay $1,100. I will probably have to sell some property. I think Dr Kim has a self pay plan.

Good luck whichever way you go.

limed2u
on 5/24/13 6:50 am - FL

Hi there!

I am a newbie but am scheduled to have surgery with Dr Kim on June 10th. Super excited but started to get a little worried as I saw on the internet where some surgeons will not operate if your A1C is elevated. Just had my labwork done and am sure it is going to be up there. My pre op info date is June 5th and I am supposed to start a one week liquid diet on June 3rd. It seems like it has taken forever for me to get to this point so am going to be so disappointed if it gets delayed  :(

Keep your fingers crossed!!!

Another Fatone
on 5/25/13 7:34 am - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

Hi

I have diabetes II and the elevated A1C. That is why I am having the r n y gastric bypass. I am not aware high A1C would be a show stopper. Let me know what you find out.

Wanting123
on 12/14/14 12:12 am

Hi!! Who did you end up with? How are you doing? :) I am looking at Dr. Marema as my surgeon as well and would live to hear about your experience !! Thanks :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views