Dr. Kim in Celebration

Katie K.
on 5/10/13 1:23 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

A lot of your hunger might be head hunger. It does feel similar to regular hunger, but  if you're full (or satisfied-ish) it's probably head hunger. You really have to pay attention while you're eating. You may not recognize when you've actually had enough to eat. Eating carbs will make you hungrier. I found that when I went on a gluten free diet, it was hard for a couple of days, but I was able to recognize the head hunger. I was still able to have potatoes and didn't react as strongly to that.

Now I'm on the pre-pre-op diet - no starches, not even potatoes. I will probably never be able to have bread again. You can pretty much eat a little of everything at some point after surgery, but for me that would be like giving an alcoholic a beer. I think I might be able to eat pasta, but the big thing after surgery is that you have to eat protein first because that's what your body needs most in order to keep working. Your pouch will be so small that you may not have room for much else, at least for a while.

I don't know if they talked about the size of your pouch at the information session. They said that at first it's the size of your thumb, but that Dr. Kim makes it so that when all the healing's done and you're eating the amount you'll be eating the rest of your life, you'll only be able to eat 1/2 to 3/4 cup of food at a time. You can, of course, stretch that by overeating.

Another Fatone
on 5/10/13 1:35 am - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

I am a foodie. That will have to change.

Katie K.
on 5/10/13 1:38 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

And that's where therapy comes in. My long-time therapist has a lot of dietary issues, so he just happens to be a good fit for this part of my life, too.

Another Fatone
on 5/10/13 4:07 am - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

I know I will need some clearances for surgery. How long are they good for? Should I go ahead and get some done now or wait till they tell me which clearances I need? 

Katie K.
on 5/10/13 4:19 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

Did your advocate email you? She should have given you an idea of what you will owe and who you need to see. If she's done that already, I would go ahead and schedule your psych eval and nutritionist. You need to have a letter of medical necessity from your primary care physician. You should contact your insurance yourself, if you haven't already, to find out if they have any requirements you need to meet.

Wait until you have your first consult with the nurse practitioner at Dr. Kim's office before you work on the other clearances. They will go over the surgery, give you a diet to follow, and tell you which clearances you need. I made my appointments in the lobby downstairs as soon as I left my consult.

As far as I know, there are only two nurse practitioners who do the consults. I had Tina. She can seem unfriendly, but don't let that turn you off. She's good if you can handle her personality. The other one has a friendlier attitude, I've heard.

Katie K.
on 5/10/13 4:25 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

I just looked through my email. The email from my advocate included the date and time for my initial consult, so it was sent after they called me to schedule. I went to the information session on March 13 and got this email on March 19.

Katie K.
on 5/10/13 4:32 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

Also, the cost for the psych eval, nutritionist, and any office visit copays for the clearance doctors are not included in the total your advocate will give you. I really wish they had told me that at the beginning, because my parents are paying for my out of pocket expenses. We thought it would just be $3100. Dr. Ferguson doesn't submit to insurance, so the psych eval cost me $360. My insurance doesn't cover nutritionists, so that cost me $57. I've had two office copays for the cardiologist, and I'm sure I'll have at least one for the pulmonologist.

Another Fatone
on 5/10/13 6:07 am - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

I have not heard from my advocate yet. They said to give them 6-8 days I think it was.

I have seen several complaints about the $600 for the psyc and nut.

I have Medicare and BCBS. 100% of my hospital is covered and 90% of the surgeon is covered. I will submit the $600 for the psyc and nut. I have a max out of pocket of $1,300.00. We’ll see what surprised I encounter. I may have to sell some property…lol.

Are you able to do an easy payment plan for the balance?   

Katie K.
on 5/10/13 6:17 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

Are you thinking of the $600 program fee? That doesn't include the psych and nut. Not really sure what it *does* cover, but I do know it doesn't cover that. Also, at your initial consult, you'll have to pay $250 as a downpayment of that program fee.

Another Fatone
on 5/10/13 6:11 am - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

I have sleep apnea. I tried the CPAP and then the BiPAP. Neither one worked. I can not sleep with the mask on. I sleep on my side. I wonder if I will have trouble getting a clearance for surgery?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views