Dr. Kim in Celebration

Katie K.
on 4/8/13 2:37 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

Has anyone seen Dr. Kim in Celebration?

RebYitzchak
on 4/13/13 2:23 am - FL
RNY on 04/17/13

I went to the seminar at Celebration Health, but could not get anyone to respond to me. So, I contacted Dr. Marema who has an office in Orlando, but does surgery at Flager Hospital in St. Augustine. He is amazing, as well as his staff. I am having my surgery this coming Wednesday.

Good Luck on your journey.

RNY - 4/17/13     HW - 463  SW - 428  CW - 263

Katie K.
on 4/15/13 12:43 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

Really? Did you fill out the forms they gave you? I got an email the very next day.

donna39
on 5/16/13 5:33 am - FL

Dr. Kim is still at Celebration he's apart of a different group the last I heard. He is still doing surgery out of Celebration. His office is still at the hospital as well

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/13 1:07 pm - Winter Park, FL

I had an initially meeting with Dr. Kim's office a couple years ago but decided on Dr. Jawad  and had my surgery done at ORMC in May 2011 (positive experience!).  If you are looking for any extra support, I actually facilitate the Flagler Hospital Bariatric (Dr. Marema Orlando  / Lake Mary Support group that meets meeting at the Lake Mary Events Center the first Tuesday of every month at 7:00 PM. This month (5/7/13), I will be presenting on the topic of Body Image and exploring how our perception of ourselves and life satisfaction can shift throughout the process of bariatric surgery. We also will be discussing how physical changes can affect our relationship with family members, social circles and romantic partners in both past and new relationships.  Positive thoughts to you no matter what doctor you choose!

~DeAne Matthew, Licensed Mental Health Counselor

Another Fatone
on 5/9/13 2:00 pm - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

Hi I am new. I went to Dr Kim's seminar last night. Today I rec'd an email and I completed a registration online. I am on Medicare.Last night the insurance lady said they would contact me in 6 to 10 days.

I know it is a multi step process. I forgot to ask how long the process takes. In other words how long does it take from seminar to surgery.

Thank you for your help.

Katie K.
on 5/9/13 6:34 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
It depends on how long it takes to get your clearances.

I'm almost done with my cardiac clearance. I had to have an EKG (standard for everyone), a stress test, and an echocardiogram. Since I'm diabetic and don't know my family history (was adopted) the cardiologist wants me t have an angiogram. That's next week.

I have my consult with the pulmonologist next week. I use a CPAP, so they want me to bring that in, and they want to see my sleep study. It was done in 2007, and I really hope they don't want me to do another one.

You have to do a test for h. pylori. It's a simple breath test that can be done at Quest. If you're positive, you have to take antibiotics for two weeks.

You have to have a psych eval. I passed mine right away, and since I see a therapist anyway, I didn't have to do anything extra. I have a friend who didn't have a therapist and she had to start seeing one before they would clear her for that.

You have to see the dietitian. Thankfully, I knew everything she had to teach me (thanks OH), and my insurance didn't require a supervised diet so I got that clearance right away, too.

The program (not my insurance) requires me to lose 15-20 pounds after my weigh in at my first consult. My friend had to lose 10-15 pounds but she's much shorter than me. I have to lose this weight before they'll even schedule me for surgery. They have me on a no-starch diet. It really sucks, but it's what you're going to have to follow after surgery for a while.

Once you have all the clearances, lose the weight, and your insurance is approved, they'll schedule you for surgery. You have to go on a 2-week liquid diet before surgery. I don't know if that's full liquids or clear liquids. I'm hoping it's full.

There is an all-day pre-op session the week before surgery. I was told that they do that on Wednesdays and operate on Mondays and Tuesdays.

It helps to go to every support group. They are the second Wednesday of the month. My first one was in March, so last night was my third one. It's quite a drive for me (40 miles one way) but its worth it. I wonder if you're the man I talked to after the session this week.
Another Fatone
on 5/9/13 10:57 pm - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

Hi Katie

I am not that guy after the meeting.

You have anwsered lots of my questions. Many thanks.

How does one pass the psyc eval? What does one need to say?

I think I need to get all the clearances that you need also.

Let me know how you do and I will as well.

Good Luck to you

Many thanks again. Harry

Katie K.
on 5/9/13 11:45 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

There is a short (for me - it's like 167 questions) computer survey. If you've ever taken the MMPI, it's like that. It's a bunch of questions like ... I don't remember, stuff like I eat when I'm sad, with a list of choices like always, never, rarely, sometimes, etc.

There were two paper questionnaires, kind of similar.

After you finish those, you see the doctor. She reviews the computer printout and the questionnaires, and talks with you about it, and other stuff. I don't know if you've ever seen a psychologist or psychiatrist, but it's a lot like the initial visit for those.

Don't worry about giving the "right" answers. Just be truthful. If she decides you need to do some more work, it will be worth it in the end. Your mind is your biggest enemy afterward. The surgery only works on your stomach. The cravings and emotional eating are in your head, mostly. Some cravings are legitimate, but your body doesn't actually *need* chocolate and cake, or fast food.

Another Fatone
on 5/10/13 1:00 am - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

Still waiting for Celebration to call me.

Good advise on the psyc question. Many Thanks. I googled a lot of info on bariactric psyc eval. I am now a student of bariactrics.

Is it possible I overeat because I have a big hunger in my stomach?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views