Please--is anyone attending the Novus Support Group at St Lukes Hospital once a month?

Amy M.
on 8/25/11 8:50 pm - Jacksonville, FL

I'd love to hear from somebody that is currently attending the Novus Support Group at St Lukes Hospital once a month.   I'm interested in WHO is running the group etc.  I'm real new to here and Novus and am a ways from bypass surgery.  But, I'm still interested in the group. 

Any advice on going to a good dietitian in the meantime that doesn't cost so dang much?  I'm on SSDI and am saving up $$$$ to go with my health ins for the bypass operation and all that goes with itm, which I am responsible for. 

I need some help from someone.  Should I just call Novus back and explain my sistuatioin in detail and see if they know of something.?  Maybe I'll find out more that way.  I was hoping that you all might know and be able to be honest & give me good, truthful advice from a patient's point of view. 

Emily F.
on 10/5/11 4:20 am
I'm going to send this message for my friend Lawanda, she may have more info.
abandster
on 10/5/11 6:57 am
Thank you for passing this along to me, Emily.  I hope I can help.  I had thought about attending this myself but since I had to have my surgery undone, I'm not sure its the right place for me.

I did email the person who is running the show over there and if you haven't looked at the webpage, here it is:

http://www.meetup.com/Jacksonville-Weight-Loss-Surgery-Support-Group/?gj=wg2_ej1b&a=wg2_l4

abandster
on 10/5/11 7:09 am
Amy, I replied to Emily who asked if I knew anything about this group and then posted to you that she'd forward your post to me, which she did.

I'm not currently attending this group but did email the girl who's running this group and she works for the Norvus Company but I don't think she's had any type of surgery.  Personally, I'd prefer to have somebody running the show who knows exactly what I'm going thru.  But you might want to call and make sure my facts are right.  And whatever answer you get, it will still be a good idea to go to a meeting or two and see if its right for you. 

You might check with your insurance thru SSDI and see if they can recommend a dietitian for you to see so that they pay.  There are lots of them out there and I do happen to know one who's banded but she's not cheap. 

There are numerous support group meetings in the Jacksonville area.  Emily, that answered your post here, holds a meeting in Orange Park.  There is also one at .....gosh....what's the name of that grocery store at Hartfield and San Jose?  Something like World Foods?  Anyway, Dr. Marema's group at Flagler Hospital in St. Augustine run that meeting so you can go to their website and find out about that or call them.  Dr. Marema is a bariatric patient as is his bariatric coordinator. 

There's another meeting that's held at the Mandarin Library on Kori Road and I'm fairly sure that all the local hospitals have support group meetings.  I know they all have information meetings and all of the surgeons have support group meetings but usually for their own patients.

If I were you, I'd look on the web at the different hospitals and see what you see and/or call the hospitals and get some information. 

I hope that helps.  I wish you well.  The anticipation of having surgery and getting every thing lined up is stressful but worth it.  I had way too many problems to continue with the band but if you want to talk to somebody who's been extremely successful, Emily is the one!!!!!  I'm so proud of her.  She's one amazing woman.

LaWanda
Emily F.
on 10/5/11 7:26 am
On October 5, 2011 at 2:09 PM Pacific Time, abandster wrote:
Amy, I replied to Emily who asked if I knew anything about this group and then posted to you that she'd forward your post to me, which she did.

I'm not currently attending this group but did email the girl who's running this group and she works for the Norvus Company but I don't think she's had any type of surgery.  Personally, I'd prefer to have somebody running the show who knows exactly what I'm going thru.  But you might want to call and make sure my facts are right.  And whatever answer you get, it will still be a good idea to go to a meeting or two and see if its right for you. 

You might check with your insurance thru SSDI and see if they can recommend a dietitian for you to see so that they pay.  There are lots of them out there and I do happen to know one who's banded but she's not cheap. 

There are numerous support group meetings in the Jacksonville area.  Emily, that answered your post here, holds a meeting in Orange Park.  There is also one at .....gosh....what's the name of that grocery store at Hartfield and San Jose?  Something like World Foods?  Anyway, Dr. Marema's group at Flagler Hospital in St. Augustine run that meeting so you can go to their website and find out about that or call them.  Dr. Marema is a bariatric patient as is his bariatric coordinator. 

There's another meeting that's held at the Mandarin Library on Kori Road and I'm fairly sure that all the local hospitals have support group meetings.  I know they all have information meetings and all of the surgeons have support group meetings but usually for their own patients.

If I were you, I'd look on the web at the different hospitals and see what you see and/or call the hospitals and get some information. 

I hope that helps.  I wish you well.  The anticipation of having surgery and getting every thing lined up is stressful but worth it.  I had way too many problems to continue with the band but if you want to talk to somebody who's been extremely successful, Emily is the one!!!!!  I'm so proud of her.  She's one amazing woman.

LaWanda
 Lawanda, so good to see you posting. You have so much knowledge and heart. Love ya! :)
abandster
on 10/7/11 8:47 am

Ah shucks....I'm blushing.  Thank you very much. 

Emily F.
on 10/5/11 7:24 am
A few of us are meeting for dinner in OP on the 13th or 14th if you are interested in getting together w some sleevers and a dsers.

I don't do any support group w a doc office bc I self paid in Mexico for a ds so I don't want to join a group joined to a doc's office. I'm also the only dser I know so there is just a few of us that get together off this website.

If Novus is all surgery types, I might be interested in going r if you just want to get together that would be cool.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views