North Florida Surgeons

AshleyDillo
on 8/18/11 12:54 pm - Tallahassee, FL

The support from Novus was great.  They handled everything for my insurance and I never had to talk to anyone from the insurance company.  I felt the $500 was worth it for the pre and post-op support.  The dietician and mental health counseling that was part of the Novus program satisfied my insurance requirements, so I didn't have to deal with co-pays for any of those visits before surgery.  I never bought any vitamins or anything through them since I was so educated from doing tons of research online and I knew where to get the items on my own.

Even if you don't go through Novus, their monthly support groups at St Lukes are open to EVERYONE.  They realized that getting a variety of opinions and experiences was very helpful for post-ops.  Jarrod and his wife, who both work for Novus are also WLS patients, so there is first-hand experience within the company.  Even if you don't have the $ right now, I would encourage you to go to the monthly support groups as a pre-op.  Once you get signed up with Novus, you'll have access to their classes which are more structured than the support groups and will give you a lot of information on subjects such as diet, exercise and mental health effects.

I haven't found any support groups yet here in Tallahassee.  I'm 2 years out and doing ok.  I know what I'm supposed to be doing, but having the support group acted as my accountability and I'm finding that I really miss that.  I've managed to lose and keep off 190lbs throughout the whole process, which is much better than I'd ever imagined I would do.

RNY: 7/2009

HW:  361   SW: 320  CW:  157.6

Amy M.
on 8/18/11 1:25 pm - Jacksonville, FL

Ashley, I hate that you haven't found any support groups in Tallahassee yet.  Tallahassee is big enough that it SHOULD have things like that available.  Any chance you'll move back this way ever?  I think if you've lost 190 lbs and even kept if off for 2 yrs, that is great!  I hope you can continue to maintain your current weight.  I know it must be VERY HARD loosing the good support group(s).  I hope to loose at least 190 lbs...more like 210-220 lbs.  I feel the $500 pre-op is worth all that you get too....and the after care is much better than anybody else around here offers that  I've found looking through the Internet, that is.  I can't wait until I am able to go to a few of their classes.  I'm really looking forward to that part!  I hope I'm not asking to much, but, how did you get around co-pays with your insurance for the pre-op stuff?  I'm wondering if I can do that too some way, even though we most likely have very different kinds of insurance.  thanks again for you help Ashley.  YOu are so kind and helpful.   ....Amy

AshleyDillo
on 8/18/11 1:41 pm - Tallahassee, FL

Part of the pre-op requirements from the insurance company for me were dietician meetings and a mental health assessment.  Novus has a registered dietician and mental health counselor on staff and part of their pre-op program requires you to see them regardless of your insurance requirements.  So rather than going to a separate counselor or dietician and having to do a co-pay (if insurance would even cover those visits at all!), Novus was able to fill out those parts of the insurance requirements for approval for surgery.

I would move back to Jax if I could get a job.  I tried for 4 years to get employment there and finally landed a job in Tallahassee.  I still have a condo in Jax that I get to pay the mortgage on and can't sell..so yay.  At least I'm living with family in Tallahassee, so I don't have double living expenses.

Amy M.
on 8/18/11 1:58 pm - Jacksonville, FL

Ashley, oh, ok, I understand about you not having to do the co-pays now.  That makes sense.  Yea, the job market in Jacksonville really sucks now.  They are STILL laying people off in various areas.  I must say that the traffic is much lighter, LOL, because of this.  I'm so glad you did find a job though, even if you had to move to Tallahassee.  What kind of field are you in?  What kind of job are you working at now, if I may ask?  I'm on disability.  I last worked for the Boy Scouts of America as an admin asst.  Before that, I was a registrar, then before that, I worked concrete construction for many, many years---until I injured my back pretty good and was told that if I wanted to walk anymore, I had to quit my job and all jobs like it.  It was a hard experience to suddenly be just "home," and I continued to get up around 4:45 - 5 am for another 2 1/2 yrs after that.  I'm so glad you do have family in Tallahassee Ashley!!!  I think that the hills around there are sooo beautiful,...much prettier than most other super flat Florida land.  I do hope one day you can be assured of a good job back here in Jacksonville and be able to move back---if you still want to by the time a job was available.  At least you will have friends in both places by now.  Amy

Amy M.
on 8/20/11 12:28 am - Jacksonville, FL
On August 18, 2011 at 7:54 PM Pacific Time, AshleyDillo wrote:

The support from Novus was great.  They handled everything for my insurance and I never had to talk to anyone from the insurance company.  I felt the $500 was worth it for the pre and post-op support.  The dietician and mental health counseling that was part of the Novus program satisfied my insurance requirements, so I didn't have to deal with co-pays for any of those visits before surgery.  I never bought any vitamins or anything through them since I was so educated from doing tons of research online and I knew where to get the items on my own.

Even if you don't go through Novus, their monthly support groups at St Lukes are open to EVERYONE.  They realized that getting a variety of opinions and experiences was very helpful for post-ops.  Jarrod and his wife, who both work for Novus are also WLS patients, so there is first-hand experience within the company.  Even if you don't have the $ right now, I would encourage you to go to the monthly support groups as a pre-op.  Once you get signed up with Novus, you'll have access to their classes which are more structured than the support groups and will give you a lot of information on subjects such as diet, exercise and mental health effects.

I haven't found any support groups yet here in Tallahassee.  I'm 2 years out and doing ok.  I know what I'm supposed to be doing, but having the support group acted as my accountability and I'm finding that I really miss that.  I've managed to lose and keep off 190lbs throughout the whole process, which is much better than I'd ever imagined I would do.

Ashley, you've been a great help,....more than you'll ever know!  You seem to know a lot about Novus.  You mentioned that Jarrod & his wife both work at Novus.  I was wondering what his wife's name was...?  Jarrod did mention that there were 3 different people available to do what he did--with the patients (I can't remember his exact position at Novus).  I don't know if I should talk about this,....but, oh well.  I was awfully uncomfortable in the office with Jarrod, not that he did anything particularly wrong,...it's just me.  So, when I am financially able to go back, I wanted to schedule that part with a different lady.  I would feel uncomfortable if I got Jerrod's wife & was asked a bunch of questions about why I switched too.  That just wouldn't be right either.  Would you help me identify who Jarrod's wife is and also who the other lady is that does that same thing with patients, so that I could request her and schedule those type of sessions with her?  If I call up Novus, no telling what would get spread around the office.  I really need help with this and don't know what else to do.  I hope that you are having a happy day Ashely!..........Amy
AshleyDillo
on 8/20/11 1:54 am - Tallahassee, FL
Jarrod's wife is Meghan.  I've never had to deal directly with her at Novus so I'm not sure what her official position is, but they're both really nice people.  Jarrod handled my initial consultation.  It was a little odd for me to talk to a guy, but I was willing to do whatever I needed to in order to have the surgery.  It is likely that Jarrod will be running your orientation sessions as well, but those are typically group settings.  Both Jarrod and Meghan are WLS patients--they had the surgery after I did even.  It was uncomfortable to me to talk to DePeri as well since I knew he was going to end up seeing me nekkid at my worst on the surgery table..plus he's young and pretty good lookin ;)  But then again I avoided doctor's my whole life until I was finally ready to take control of my weight issues--matter what.

ScubaDo
on 8/18/11 5:42 am
Amy - did you get my post about why I chose webb not sure if it went thru....
Amy M.
on 8/18/11 12:57 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Hi there!  No, I haven't found a post about why you chose Dr Webb.  I'm not sure where to look either.  I've never used message boards or forums or what ever we are in right now.  I just find links in my email box and reply back to them and it takes me here.  I feel stupid about all this too.  Webb did sound very knowledgeable & experienced Tuesday night at the seminar, etc.  Why was it that you chose him?  I'm curious about that?  Amy
Emily F.
on 8/18/11 10:36 am
On August 15, 2011 at 3:16 AM Pacific Time, alm_kee wrote:
Ashley,
Thank you so much for replying!!  I just found your message & I'm on my way out the door to go and paint with a friend all day.  I'll message you back by sometime Tues before my bariatric seminar, or on Wed after the seminar.  I hope this is ok. 
Hopefully, talk to you then.....
Amy
 hey. I grew up on the westside. 

Friend me on fb. There are a few of us that meet up in OP.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002426626593
Amy M.
on 8/18/11 1:05 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Emily, thanks for your response.  I'm finally having an opportunity to respond.  I have a fb page, but, don't use it.  I made it long ago and don't even remember how to get to it.   I just quit using fb all together, sorry.  But, if you want, you can email me anytime you like.  (that's is how I got your message--through email,,......guess it delivers them there for  you, thank goodness or I never would have found my way back here again, LOL).  I live off of I-10 & Cassat Ave, 1 blook N of I-10.  Where abouts are you located?  You mentioned you live way, way out kinda.  I'd definitely be interested in meeting with some people on the westside if it weren't too expensive.  I'll just tell you, I'm way out from my surgery, but, still going with Novus and NFS.  I've just got to unfortunately save up some $$$$ 1st.  Thanks for your response again.  I appreciate it.  I hope to hear from you again,.....Amy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views