Searching for Surgeon for Revision in Florida

fllmom
on 1/20/11 4:00 am - Hollywood, FL

Hi, I am new to S. FL.  If anyone knows of a great surgeon in Florida, I would love to hear from you.  (specializing in revisions).  Thanks!

Emily F.
on 1/21/11 2:27 am
I haven't heard of any in Fl. What are you revising from ..to?
fllmom
on 1/21/11 3:35 am - Hollywood, FL
Hi.  I had RNY (fobi) by Dr. John Husted in Nashville 4/99.   Love Dr. Husted but he is now in Arizona.  Prefer not to travel so far if possible.  I started pre RNY AT 383---LOW WT 145...Gained 83 lbs. w my twins....stuck at 218-222 now for almost 3 yrs.  Just starting to search for surgeon....I think my ins. will pay.  I called  UHC & they say I just need Dr. to send file in for a preapproval. Hope they will!
sandyv63
on 1/22/11 11:10 am - Naples, FL
If you are revising to a DS, and if you research this surgery you will see that this is your best option, you will have to go outside of Florida as there are no DS surgeons in Florida, never mind DS surgeons who can do the revision. Since Dr. Husted is an excellent DS surgeon and he did your first surgery, it might be worth it to at least call him and discuss your current situation with him. I have no doubt he will give you the best possible advice.
fllmom
on 1/22/11 11:44 am - Hollywood, FL
Thank you for responding!  I appreciate it very much.  I have emailed Dr. Husted just yesterday, so I am looking forward to hearing from him.  I was just hoping to have it done close to home, if possible.  Thanks again.
ange68
on 1/22/11 1:29 pm

Dr. Lord in Pensacola Florida does revisions and I think Dr. Murr does  in Tampa Florida at Tampa General Hospital. Hope this helped a little.

Angela

Emily F.
on 1/23/11 1:54 am
Are you revising to ds?? Because there are only a handful of docs skilled enough to do such a complicated surgery. Please don't go to just anyone, that is a major major major surgery! Major. Don't play around with that. dsfacts.com has a list of vetted surgeons. Good luck!
fllmom
on 1/23/11 5:31 am - Hollywood, FL
Thanks again Ladies! Appreciate the information!
Gerry
on 1/23/11 6:56 am - Grant, FL
I had an RNY about 5 years ago which is also a failed surgery. Why not just put a band over your pouch? I have read that that procedure can work. Is a DS actually better? I had the procedure which was supposed to suture the opening from the pouch to the intestine back to it's post-RNY size but it didn't work--can't think of the name of it right now. But I would love to speak with a good Florida M.D. gastroc surgeon,also. I understand that the reason for failed RNY is stretching of the opening at the bottom of the pouch which allows the pouch to empty too soon which causes hunger to return. Opinions,please?????
Emily F.
on 1/23/11 7:20 am
On January 23, 2011 at 2:56 PM Pacific Time, Gerry wrote:
I had an RNY about 5 years ago which is also a failed surgery. Why not just put a band over your pouch? I have read that that procedure can work. Is a DS actually better? I had the procedure which was supposed to suture the opening from the pouch to the intestine back to it's post-RNY size but it didn't work--can't think of the name of it right now. But I would love to speak with a good Florida M.D. gastroc surgeon,also. I understand that the reason for failed RNY is stretching of the opening at the bottom of the pouch which allows the pouch to empty too soon which causes hunger to return. Opinions,please?????
 You can do bob, band overy bypass. I'm not sure of the stats on that. Rose is something where they mess with the stoma but I have never heard of a successful case. 

revising to DS would be to reattach the stomach, make a sleeve and change the intestines around. DS has a success rate of 80% excess weight kept off along with use of the pyloric valve, can take nsaids, etc.  It is a very very complicated surgery and only a hand ful of surgeons could even do it and it would be risky. You would have to decide if the risks out weighed your ease of life with bypass. 
For great WLS info join me here  www.dsfacts.com
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views