New here! Can you explain it to me like I'm a 6 year old?

tigerjen77
on 11/10/10 10:55 am
Hello everyone!!
  I am new to this board and to all things wls related. 

Truth be told I don't know where to start.
Do I look for a dr first? Check my insurance first? Talk to my pcp first?

I have Medicare and a 40.2 bmi.
I also have severe arthritis and the onset of diabetes.
My birthday is just around the corner and i will be 33.

Would someone please walk me through the process so I can get started on changing my life?
               Thank you so much!
Donna R.
on 11/11/10 5:09 am - Ocala, FL
Hi,

Everyone's situation is different so you will have to find out what works for you.

I would start with your insurance first.  Check with medicare to see if bariatric surgery is  covered and what their guidelines are.  You may need to have six month of recorded dieting with your PCP.  If that's the case you will need to make an appt. with your PCP to get the ball rolling.  Medicare may also require a letter from your PCP showing that the surgery is medically necessary.

Next I would find a qualified surgeon, talk to freinds and family for a recommendation or check with your PCP for a referral.  When you locate a surgeon see if their office offers a free seminar.  If so go and listen to the surgeon, they will explain all the different surgeries that they perform(also ask if they take medicare).  This way you can make an informative decision as to which surgery you will want to have done.  Once you have gotten to this point the surgeons office will tell you what the next steps are.

I hope that this may have helped you.  Good Luck on the begining of your journey.  I can honestly say that this is one of the best decision that I have ever made.

Keep me posted.

Donna
Donna "Embrace the Journey"
AUGUST 18, 2010 "The First Day of the Rest (BEST) of my Life"

HW/SW/CW/GW  -  380/362/178/1??
andibchillin
on 11/11/10 5:33 pm - Ocala, FL

May God bless each one of us and watch over us all

Misty and the Furbillies

Guernica Loser
on 11/12/10 2:40 pm
I have medicare.  Where are you located in FL?  If you're near Naples, Ft Myers or Hollywood I know of a good surgeon that does the band, sleeve and rny.  He takes Medicare and the hospital he performs surgery at is a hospital of excellence.  You will need a surgeon that deals with places of excellence with mediare.  you don't need preapproval from medicar, but a you do need a letter from your primary doc stating why you need this surgery, what you've gone through being obese etc.

Good luck!!
I've been on prednisone and chemo for over 7.5 years.  Gained over 160 pounds due to pred. Highest wt. 410. Surgery wt. 365. Current wt. 299
See ya,400s, 90s,80s,70s, 60s, 50s, 40s, 30s, 20s, 10s 300s!!!!  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views