Recommend a nut and psych/Orlando area

HarleysValentine
on 10/8/10 1:15 pm - Orlando, FL

I have been "quiet" on this board but read it often. Although I signed up as a member this year, I have been lurking much longer than that.

Long story short, I was "pre-approved" for RNY in 2008 and was denied due to the doc that I had been going to changing her mind after one of her patients had a bad experience. Dr "forgot" to tell me that she was going to sabatoge her office notes by writing on EVERY month's visit "Patient requests surgery" - that was it. I was devasted because believe me, I live paycheck to paycheck and would not have been going to her office and paying out of pocket for the heck of it...ESPECIALLY when I had never considered the surgery realistically till she mentioned it back in 2005. ANYWAY flash forward, I gave myself about a year to really try to lose on my own so I would not have to go through such an awful experience again and after losing a whopping 14 pounds (though I did gain arm muscles...) I decided this spring to try again.

New doctor who is supportive and has been helping in any way that she can...this month will be my 6th month.

NOW I need to find a nut and psych (in the Orlando area) and if possible, I would like recommendations. I feel like I am closer to my goal (I would like to get this done at the beginning of Jan).

ALSO someone told me that I need surgeon recommendation (I have),
PCP recommendation (I have) and that I would need a 3rd doctor's recommendation(?)

Anyone want to clarify anything for me?! I hope I didn't come off as a negative nelly in this post...just trying to hold my head up and the closer it gets to my goal of just being approved/having a date for surgery is getting very scary!

Redhaired
on 10/8/10 11:18 pm - Mouseville, FL
Before you go any further you need to be clear on just what YOUR insurance requires and what YOUR surgeon requires.  I do not know what you mean by a third doctor's recommendation.  Are you referring to the psych eval?  I know a couple of providers in the Orlando area who do psych evals, but you should really get a recommendation from either your insurance or your surgeon.  Sometimes surgeons want you to go to a particular provider.  And your insurance should be able to give you the name of a provider who will accept your insurance.  Also different surgeons and insurance companies have different guidelines for exactly what they are looking for in the psych eval.  Some require psych testing, some just want a detailed psycho-social history, some have specific areas (questions) they want to see detailed in the report.

Red

HarleysValentine
on 10/9/10 12:44 am - Orlando, FL
On October 9, 2010 at 6:18 AM Pacific Time, Redhaired wrote:
Before you go any further you need to be clear on just what YOUR insurance requires and what YOUR surgeon requires.  I do not know what you mean by a third doctor's recommendation.  Are you referring to the psych eval?  I know a couple of providers in the Orlando area who do psych evals, but you should really get a recommendation from either your insurance or your surgeon.  Sometimes surgeons want you to go to a particular provider.  And your insurance should be able to give you the name of a provider who will accept your insurance.  Also different surgeons and insurance companies have different guidelines for exactly what they are looking for in the psych eval.  Some require psych testing, some just want a detailed psycho-social history, some have specific areas (questions) they want to see detailed in the report.

Red
Thank you for telling me that there are different psych evals-I had no idea! I will call Dr Juwad's office on Monday to see which will required by them.

I do know my insurance, Cigna, seems to want the "traditional" 6 month eval with a doc, surgeon eval for treatment, clearance by mental health, nut eval by a doc or dietician.
This was what they told me in June when I discussed possible option of switching from a PPO to HMO in 2011 for cheaper upfront out of pocket expense.

Jennie
ToniLee
on 10/14/10 1:42 pm
I'm not sure what part of Orlando you are, but Dr. Jawad has a list of doctors and nuts.  My hubby and I both saw Richard Marcel (off hwy 50 and Ferncreek). He was real nice and easy to talk to, we had to fill out a 600 question test, then he talked a while and asked questions.  For the nut I used Jennifer that Dr. Jawad has on his list.  I did a phone consult. I can't be of any help with insurance as UHC sucks and had exclusions, so we were self pay.  Good luck

HW 271/SW 255 RNY Jan.21 08 RNY Revision July 25th 2013
Plastics done 4/21/10 (Dr. Sauceda)
Extended TT, Full Arm lift, BL/BA, Long Thigh lift

Shaesnana
on 11/6/10 7:37 am - Davenport, FL
Hi there!

I live in Davenport, the other side of Kissimmee.  So I am not too far from you.  I'm over near Disney.  Anyway, Celebration hosp in Kissimmee is where I am going.  They have an excellent bariatric program there.   They have their own Phsyche doctor that gives you the evaluation.
Dr Kim comes very highly recommened.  He does seminars at the hosp every Wed at 6:00pm
They have good aftercare and support groups.  Check it out.  I am almost thru my process there.
Prob surgery next month.   I had to get a letter from my primary care dr.  At the seminar they give you a booklet outlining everything and they guide you thru each step.  I'm impressed with them.
I had to see a cardiologist also and he has cleared me for surgery.  I don't have any heart probs but it is standard procedure.   If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask me.
Lyn.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views