Carbs vs No Carbs

Pamela W.
on 9/9/10 10:04 am - Bartow, FL

I'm three weeks post-op RNY.  Been doing fantasti****il yesterday when I started having mild nausea. It's persisted throughout today.  Along with it came shaking, dizziness, mild disorientation and low energy.  I haven't changed my meal plan.  Been getting 60+ grams of protein a day. Very low carb intake. I would say no more than 10 g of carbs a day. Struggling to drink my fluids but getting at least 42 ozs in (due to the nausea). I am not diabetic. My blood pressure is stellar.  I am just fat.

After doing some research, it sounds like my sugar is going to low.  So, today, I ate the inside of 1/2 a baked potato.  I was out of my mind with the shaking/dizziness and didn't want to eat something with sugar in it and didn't have anything else in the house that was "healthy" so I figured a potato was a vegetable and it's what I had on hand before I passed out so I ate it.

I cannot tell you how much better I feel. After saying that, what's the right way to keep our digestive system balanced after RNY? I can't imagine that low to no carbs is good for your body. But I also know that "most" of your carbs come from processed foods/white flour which are bad for our systems. Is there a better way to manage without bottoming out?????

Help!

Donna R.
on 9/9/10 10:52 pm - Ocala, FL
Hi Pam,

Sounds like you did the right thing.  You knew what your body needed and you made the right choice by having a baked potato rather than processed carbs.

Keep up the good work.

Donna
Donna "Embrace the Journey"
AUGUST 18, 2010 "The First Day of the Rest (BEST) of my Life"

HW/SW/CW/GW  -  380/362/178/1??
Pamela W.
on 9/11/10 3:14 am - Bartow, FL
I talked to my surgeon yesterday on my post-op visit and he said I did the right thing too! I'm so glad.  He told me to focus on what my body (not my head) is telling me and follow it.  He said carbs are part of the picture but should be used in moderation. I felt SO much better!! :) Thanks for the comments! I was wondering about you the other day! Haven't seen any posts from you.  How are you doing? I see your weight is doing great!

Redhaired
on 9/10/10 12:01 am - Mouseville, FL
Do a google search for complex carbs.  Complex carbs have more nutritional value than simple carbs and are better for you.  A potato is a good example of a complex carb as are whole grains and some vegetables.  Fruits are complex carbs but also contain high amounts of sugar so I avoid them.  I remember a doc telling my husband (who was diabetic) that sugar was sugar; it made no difference whether it was from the sugar bowl or a piece of fruit.

Red

Pamela W.
on 9/11/10 3:15 am - Bartow, FL
That's a GREAT idea Red :)  Thanks for sharing it.  I'm going to do that RIGHT now!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views