New Banders, Dr. Jawad in Ocala

(deactivated member)
on 6/27/10 2:35 pm
Hello, seems the Florida Board is not very active.....Anybody here new to the Journey ?
I live on the Space coast and can't be the only one?!?? Hopefully we can get the east coast to pipe up every once in a while???
I am doing well so far, I will have my first fill (or not)  tomorrow.

One day at a time
Donna R.
on 6/28/10 5:15 am - Ocala, FL

I thought the same thing about the Florida board. 

I also have Dr. Jawad, I have just started on my journey.  My insurance company required a nut. eval and a psych eval. I have completed both but nothing has been sent to my insurance co. yet.  I have called the dr.'s office and left a message twice but I never seem to get a return call.

What was your experience with Dr. Jawad's office?

(deactivated member)
on 6/28/10 7:16 am
They are very busy, today I went to their office in Orlando. they moved and are in disarray, but I can understand that. I am lucky I have tricare they required neither of those 2. I would keep trying, the ins. lady was slow in responding. When you call, ask whoever answers the phone to get  you the info instead of leaving a message with her.  have you done the meeting?? Are you aware of all the preop diet stuff? I have had no problems with the op at all. I stayed overnight, and felt fine right after the op. Are you geting the band as well? My belly looked like I had a run in with a staple gun :) 5 little holes.  I started this whole thing pre op diet and all on 20 may with 256 lbs today I was 229...soooo I am very happy:)  Let me know how i can help you

Petra
Tiffany Deddo
on 6/28/10 12:37 pm - New Port Richey, FL
I am also a new patient of Dr. Jawads.  I have called there several times and the lady in pre authorization in Ocala never answers the phone, I don't feel very comfy leaving messages.  I always feel like if I leave a message at a doctors office I will never get a call back.  What was your whole over all feeling and experience with him.  He seems like a very straight forward kind of guy.  I am starting my 6 months with my primary and it looks like I should have my surgery done around Christmas time.  I cant wait. 
(deactivated member)
on 6/28/10 5:18 pm
The office seemed  to be very busy every time I was there. I'm guessing that Odalys is with someone in her office every time you call. Personally, I like it when I'm with someone in an office and the phone it rings and they don't answer the phone. It does suck when it is you who is calling, tho :) When I called and got the machine, I left the message and called back and told the person answering the phone what my issue is and usually got results. The important thing is the guy who cuts the whole into you. You have been waiting and maybe procrastinating so long, be patient. They do want to help you...consider how many different ins co there are for the staff to have to wade tru....Stay on this board and read the Lap band forum...but don't freak out. I can't believe I only had this thing done 27 days ago and I get to help you guys out already..
I found that the most important thing is...you really have to want this to work....It's not going to work by itself. I think figuring out why you have a weight problem will help you solve it. In my case it is portions. The band makes me eat less and I am not hungry. If it is fast food you might go through withdrawals :) I don't have that problem. I cut out noodles and haven't had bread. So no carbs in the beginning is really helping. Try it out, you can do it now. The rule of thumb is eat protein first. So , if you  are a meat and tater person....do the meat and skip the taters. If Sweets are your thing you might have a problem with the band because you can still do sweets and they go down fine but..you will not loose weight. So if you think of doing the cheat thing this is not going to work.  I took a long time to take this step..I have always been heavy, but I have been fat and healthy. Now I'm pushing 50 and all my # were going up. My BP was 140/92, today it was 126/82 so I already stopped taking BP meds....It really all depends how badly you want it.
Follow the rules and you will be successful..If I can do it so can you.. I am also way more energetic already. I'm not gonna be running marathons, But I am getting off my butt to move more..
Dr Jawad is like you said a no nonsense kind of guy, I like that. Inform yourself and ask many questions.

I'm here
Petra
ToniLee
on 6/28/10 10:26 pm
And where were all you Dr. Jawad people last night???  Support group was very small last night.  Next month will be at his new office in Orlando.  Dr. Jawad actually does the support groups so its a perfect time to ask anything without going through the office. 

Petham where on the space coast are you??  I drive over to Orlando every month for support group and there is a lady that drives from Melbourne also. Not too many from brevard county.  Summer time always seems slower on the boards and I had meant to post a reminder about the group meeting but got busy and forgot.  Good luck with your fill. Toni

HW 271/SW 255 RNY Jan.21 08 RNY Revision July 25th 2013
Plastics done 4/21/10 (Dr. Sauceda)
Extended TT, Full Arm lift, BL/BA, Long Thigh lift

(deactivated member)
on 6/29/10 3:19 am
I'm in Cocoa. I saw the board in the new office. It said Support group meeting tonight. It didn't say where or when. I deceided no to get a fill because I feel that I am loosing enough weight as is for now. I am not a big fan of driving to Orlando. When I feel the need for support I will be there with bells on.  :) So far, I am very happy and do not have any issues. Since you are in monthly contact with the Dr and his staff you could make him aware of the issues both other ladies seem to have with the paperwork part of the adventure.

Petra
gapeach19685
on 6/29/10 9:08 am - Ormond Beach, FL
Hi I live in Ormond and I had surgery with Dr. Jawad back in April.   I had the RNY.  I liked Dr. Jawad.  Not real thrilled with his partner.  I had to see him when I got the g-tube out.  I don't get to go to the support meetings.  Too far to drive and it would be a rush to get there on time from work.  Nice to see someone posting on here.  I check all the time and it is really slow.

Georgia

(deactivated member)
on 6/30/10 2:42 am
I didn't meet any other Dr's. I had meeting with the nutritionist who is really nice. She even gives out her cell phone # Also Sandra the nurse, she took out my staples and encouraged me on Monday, when I went to discuss fill. I didn't know what to expect, so I went into this thing with an open mind.  Being tricare insured does not give you a choice in Dr's. I am very happy that the Mil deals with Dr. Jawad. I like that he is not younger then I am, and I know he has done this for a long time. Practice makes perfect, right? :)

Petra
gapeach19685
on 6/30/10 1:08 pm - Ormond Beach, FL
I think the rest of the staff is great.  Sandra took out my staples as well.  I go for my 3 month next month and I hope I get to see Dr. Jawad.

Georgia

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views