PCP in Tampa Bay area please

stillhopefull
on 6/23/10 10:27 pm
Went to see my PCP yesterday.  I always see his ARNP since I can get in to see her quickly and never meet my PCP.  I know stupid but that is how it is.  Anyway, I wanted to make sure he was on the same page as me with the DS.  First, he threw away the information mailed to him from my surgeon.  Stated no one in this area does that surgery so why read about it and if I get that surgery who do I think will take care of me?  I told him YOU and wanted to follow it up with mother ******!!  Sorry about the language it comes out of me when I get mad.  Anyhow, he wanted to know why I though this surgery would work over they RNY I already have.  I started to explain when I got cut off and was told if I couldn't keep the weight off with RNY I would never get the weight off with revision.  Once a fat person pretty much always a fat person.  Wanted to know if I eat now like I will when I get the revision.  I told him no, if I ate the fat content now that I can as a DS person I would have high cholesterol.  Looked at me like I had 3 eyes.  I knew it was a loosing battle with him.  His body language and comments said it all.  He said if I develop a fistula I better be ready to fly to what ever state my surgeon was in to be taken care of because no surgeon in Tampa would touch me.  So I better not develop a leak or a fistula.  Now he has me thinking; what if he is right?  Would they just let me die?  He also stated he NEVER heard of anyone flying out of state to have bariatric surgery.  Started to explain why when I got the eye roll so I stopped.

I have had so much going on in my life this last month I just can't express my feelings.  But this took the cake.  He did agree to order the labs I requested which are the ones you have drawn every 3 months.  I just wanted to see where I stood before surgery so I can start working on getting them to where they need to be prior to surgery.    He added some to the vits and iron, etc.  A1C so I got the on the way to diabetes and a thyroid panel.  Wants to see me back in 3 months.  Yeah right!!

Anyway, is there anyone who can recommend a PCP who will try to work with me and the DS?  Doesn't have to be in Tampa will travel to surrounding area.  Didn't mean to make so long sorry.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Terry   
 for kjfras (Kerry) 

Terry     
(deactivated member)
on 6/24/10 6:38 am - FL
Terry I really like Dr. McCormick at USF across from TGH. Try him out 813-259-8700
stillhopefull
on 6/24/10 10:40 pm

Thanks Kristen I will check to see if he is on my plan.  I hope to get a few more names to see if any of them are any closer to where I live or work.  See you in a few weeks.

for kjfras (Kerry) 

Terry     
(deactivated member)
on 6/26/10 1:07 am - saint petersburg, FL
(deactivated member)
on 6/26/10 7:34 pm - Tampa, FL
Terry, definitely change doctors if you are not comfortable with the one you have, but when you are looking for one, make sure that they not only listen to ou but also that you listen to them.  Although your doctor sounds like an ass, he did make some very good points about going out of state for this surgery.  Your new POCP would be able to follow up with you about blood work and such, but that would be about it.  You will have a hard time finding a surgeon who wants to take on the responsibilities, of another surgeon's patients;  they didn't make any money on your original surgery, they don't want to take on the risk of treating any complications.  You may be required to fly back to your original surgeon for any problem, big or small.  Yes, a hospital will treat yoru emergent needs, and keep you from dying, but anything less and you could have big problems. Once you find a PCP you liek and you discuss all of this with them,  then find a bariatric surgeon who will agree to see you for followup, and complications, before you go out of state for surgery.

Good luck.
Redhaired
on 6/27/10 12:44 am - Mouseville, FL
Steve-
While it is true one needs to have a supportive PCP, traveling for surgery is not as bad as you make it sound.  Just ask just about anyone on the DS forum, as most of us had to travel for surgery.  Both me and my DH went to Omaha Nebraska for surgery.  Our surgeon has worked with our local docs.  When my DH needed to have his J-tube removed we had no problem getting a local general surgeon to do this.  And to bring up the fact that a general surgeon did not make money on the original surgery is down right insulting and disrespectful.  Certainly depending on the issue there may be problems but using your frame work there would be issues if the surgeon were on vacation, ill, retired or deceased.  The argument just doesn't wash.  Yes, particularly since there are so few DS surgeons (there are RNY and band surgeons on every other block) something specific to the DS might need the attention of my surgeon. But as a rule, most issues can be addressed by local docs.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views