Roux en Y or VSG

Bonnie C.
on 6/3/10 2:54 pm - Miami, FL
I would love to get some opinions.... Which is the better choice considering the risks and life long commitment that must be made.

I had thought I wanted the RNY, but I have been reading a little bit about the VSG and it too sounds like a good choice.

Since I'm not very good at remembering to take my pills I have been considering the VSG, but I'm not sure if I would lose the weight that I want.

That is why I'm asking for some opinions.

Looking forward to "hearing" from you all!
Check out my blog for recipes and more
@
Bye Bye Pounds
HW-310/SW-292/CW-182/GW-160

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/10 3:29 am - Tampa, FL
Bonnie, if I might suggest, go to the RNY board and the VSG board, and ask each of the boards for a list of the pros and cons of their type of surgery.  There is usually a "my surgery is better than the others" mentality if you ask people to compare the surgery that they had to one they did not have.  Let's face it, no one wants to admit that they picked the wrong surgery to have.  Then make your own list of pros and cons, and decide for yourself.  RNY may have been the best choice for me; but not knowing you, how can I say it will be better for you than VSG.  Good luck to you.
ToniLee
on 6/4/10 9:51 pm
Hi Bonnie,  I guess first question is insurance paying??  Some companies still aren't approving the sleeve and there is a huge price difference (most are getting there just the last few months).  I was a self pay and my RNY was over $23,000 and my hubby had the sleeve for $9,750.  If the sleeve would have been more available back when I had my surgery I would have opted for it.  I am real good about taking my vitamins and have had NO issues at all.  I have done really well.  I take my vitamins and get regular blood work and visit my surgeon every 6 months.  Statistically they are very close as far as how much weight you lose.  I think the sleeve is just a lil bit less than RNY.  My husband is 8 months out and still has trouble taking regular vitamins they get stuck and he has to really take his time.  They are both very good options.  Only you know your eating habits, do you eat a lot of sugar or fatty foods??  If so then RNY might be the better choice.  Its great to have that fear of dumping it is a deterrent.  The sleeve was a perfect choice for my hubby and hes recovery was a little easier.  My surgeon's son was overweight and he actually had the sleeve done last year, so I think that says a lot for the surgery itself.  Good luck and again only you know your true eating habits.  Hopefully I didn't confuse you more???

HW 271/SW 255 RNY Jan.21 08 RNY Revision July 25th 2013
Plastics done 4/21/10 (Dr. Sauceda)
Extended TT, Full Arm lift, BL/BA, Long Thigh lift

Lori F.
on 6/22/10 3:01 am
Hi, I see that you had Dr. Jawad as your surgeon.  So tell me about your surgery and your success.  I just had my RNY on 2/23/10.  I am down 76lbs and I just had blood work done few weeks ago, and he said everything looked good, but I get nervous because I am unable to get all my water in each day and I don't have much of a menu to choose from because I am not a cook.  I am watching my sugars though, don't ever want to dump.
Redhaired
on 6/5/10 12:06 am - Mouseville, FL
Have you considered the DS?  Although there are presently no surgeons in Florida doing the DS.  My DH and I both had the DS in Omaha.

Red

Renee B.
on 6/8/10 4:01 pm
Hi Bonnie,
My suggestion is to spend time on each board, research the surgeries and possibly most importantly, spend some time looking through the failed weight loss surgery pages.  This is how I made my decision.  I was impressed that the long term results for VSG rival the RNY without the vitamin malabsorption, intestinal rerouting, or complication rate.  I will  need to take NSAIDS throughout my life and the VSG allows that. 
I hope you find the right surgery for you.
Renee
HW282 SW272 CW170 GW150 "I am allergic to carbs. They make me break out in fat.    

Bonnie C.
on 6/9/10 11:19 am - Miami, FL
Well I will be having the surgery under Medicaid coverage. I'm not much of a sugar person, but being Cuban some of our food tends to be a little on the fatty side.  I know that once I lose the weight I will work hard to keep it off.  I have never in my life been thin, so this is something that I am looking forward to.

Taking a look at the failed weight loss pages is definitely something I am going to do. Thanks for the suggestion :)
Check out my blog for recipes and more
@
Bye Bye Pounds
HW-310/SW-292/CW-182/GW-160

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views