New to Florida

Jim M.
on 6/1/10 11:07 pm - Lake Alfred, FL
Hello all,
Moved here from Texas, I am 5 years 1 day out!! I am looking for a doctor to help me maintain my new life as well as as support group. I live in in the Lake Alfred area but will drive if needed. Thanks and looking forward to "talking" with you all.
Jim
Jim
Pamela W.
on 6/2/10 11:32 am - Bartow, FL
Hi Hi Jim ---- I live in Bartow, FL which is about 15 minutes from Lake Alfred! Welcome to Florida! What part of Texas are you coming from? 

I see Dr. Michel Murr at University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida.  He is the Director of Bariatric Surgery for USF and Tampa General Hospital.  He's one of the best in Florida in my opinion!  Give him a call - His appointment line is 813-259-0929.  Office: 813-844-7443.  From where you live, he's about an hour ride for you! But worth it! He also has support groups on the second Thursday of every month.  The next meeting is June 10th.  Sessions are located @ Tampa General Hospital, Rehab Center, Activity Room, 2nd floor.  Sessions are free and anyone can attend! Time: 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm!  Good luck and let me know if I can be of more help!

Jim M.
on 6/6/10 9:42 am - Lake Alfred, FL
Thanks for the information, My wide and I moved here from Denton, just north of Dallas.
again thanks for the info...
Jim
Jim M.
on 6/6/10 9:43 am - Lake Alfred, FL
Boy I had better change that to WIFE...lol
Jim
Pamela W.
on 6/6/10 11:35 am - Bartow, FL
Welcome to Florida.  I was born and raised here but most of my family is from the Denison area. I know right where Denton is :) Good luck on finding an MD!

(deactivated member)
on 6/3/10 10:34 pm - FL
Jim welcome to Sunny Florida, I have lived here for 11 months now! LOVE IT!
Kristen
(deactivated member)
on 6/4/10 3:18 am, edited 6/4/10 3:19 am - Tampa, FL
JIm, it looks like you are five years out from RNY;  is ther ea particular reason that you are looking for a bariatric surgeon?  Are you having problems, or just looking for a support group?  If it is just followup, at five years out your PCP should be able to handle everthing, right?

**edited to add**  By the way, Welcome to Florida.
Jim M.
on 6/6/10 9:40 am - Lake Alfred, FL
Yes I am 5 years out, my surgeon still suggest that I do a follow up once a year with someone who is familiar with RNY bypass. Even today many PCP's still do not understand all the changes we have gone through and what can still happen. Vitamin deficiencies, blockages,etc. So that is why I am looking for someone. I still have to find a PCP too. Have tried several doctors but no one I am comfortable with yet. I am also looking for a support group too. Thanks for asking.
Jim
(deactivated member)
on 6/6/10 11:06 am - Tampa, FL
Jim, Two surgeons I have heard good things about are Dr. Murr in Tampa, and Dr. Kim in Celebration, you are probably about in the middle of both of them.  My surgeon retired about 4 years ago, and I haven't looked for another since.  If you are looking for a support group to join, my fiance and I, (both RNY gastrict bypass), are in the process of starting a new support group in Tampa. We have just started working on it and the first meeting probably won't be for a month or so.  Until then we are trying to build a support group using O.H. groups and facebook.  Here are link if you want to join and keep in touch.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/BAWLSS/

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=128834760469656

Good luck on your search
suesue53
on 6/26/10 12:59 pm - Central Florida, FL
Jim, I am a patient of Dr. Kim who is at Celebration. He is great and from Lake Alfred it would probably only be 30 minutes max to Celebration. It would be an hour to Dr. Murr in Tampa. Dr. Kim has support groups too. I believe if you go to Florida Hospital Celebration the information about the support groups will come up. They have a general support group and another one that is run by a psychologist who has had RNY surgery for people that are over a year out. Hope this helps.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views