BCBS/Fla-Anyone approved?

Missty
on 4/28/10 11:38 am - Sebastian, FL
Hi All,  Has anyone been approved by BCBS of Fla. for the VSG?  I have been told that I have an exclusion from WLS on my private policy.   I will have to self pay if I can't get this overturned.  Would like to here all stories, good or bad.  Thanks.
Eme 2009
on 5/3/10 2:16 am - FL
I didn't even try with them.  I have my insurance through BCBSFL but WLS is also an exclusion in my employer's policy.  My BMI was right around 40 and I knew I didn't have enough co-morbidities to even try to fight for coverage.  A coworker of mine tried for her husband and his BMI was significantly higher and was denied.  I don't know if they ever tried an appeal.

I also knew that when I made the decision, that I didn't want to go through the "hassle" with insurance.  I scheduled a VSG in Mexico and had it done this past January.

Good luck with your efforts and there are some folks on the VSG board who have had to fight the "experimental" part of VSG in an insurance policy as well as being denied in general.  <> Check out the Mexico board, too, to find out what some of your options might be.

Good luck, again :)

HW: 251  SW: 243  CW: 146  Height: 5'6.5"

Missty
on 5/3/10 12:13 pm, edited 5/3/10 12:14 pm - Sebastian, FL
Thanks for the info.  My BMI is 36 and the only comorbidity is bad knees.  I'm like you, I really don't want the bother of fighting them.  I'm so anxious to get the surgery June 1, I don't think I would put it off even for a month if there was a chance of them paying.  I can't wait for the chance to sit on the "loser's bench".  Thanks again.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views