Hi I'm new and have questions!

Rebecca H.
on 6/18/04 5:17 am - Fort Myers, FL
Hi everyone! My name is Rebecca. I saw there is another Rebecca on the board as well. My mother's cardiologist recently approved her for bariatric surgery adn I've been contemplating it myself. I come from a long line fo heart problems, obesity, diabetes, etc, etc... I haven't been diagnosed with diabetes yet but have had to have insulin shots on occasion when I've had to take steriods to reduce swelling while in the hospital. I have reflux, swollen ankles (if you could call them that), severe IBS, and many other issues I deal with on a day to day basis. I honestly feel that if I don't have surgery I may never see my 30th birthday. My son is almost 3 and I don't want him to grow up with a mommy who is always too sick or in pain and can't play with him as much as I would like to. Not to mention the maritla issues involved with me being overweight. I'm sorry to vent my frustrations out here but feel I have no where else to turn. Anyways on to my questions.. Did any of you have to pay out of pocket? BCBSFL sent me a statement saying they do not cover anything related to weight loss and I need to know what kinds of options I have. Those of you with laprascopic surgery, how long was the recovery? How long was the entire process from discussing this with your PCP to surgery to recovery from start to finish? Did any of you have IBS and did this help alleve your symptoms?
Lexa321
on 6/18/04 7:15 am - weston, FL
welcome to the group.. i dont know that answers to your question but i thought i would say hi!!! Lexa
rlike1
on 6/18/04 10:32 am - Orange Park, FL
Hey Rebecca, it's the "Other Rebecca" !! I have Aetna so I don't know what the options are with BCBS. I haven't had surgery yet, so I can't answer your other questions either ....... but I did want to say hello and everyone on here is great and I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will see you post soon and help you out. Good luck to you!!
Jan Ocala
on 6/18/04 11:05 am - Ocala, FL
Hi Rebecca and welcome to OH.com. I'm Pre-Op too, so I don't have many answers except for what I've read here. I was told you could probably go back to work after 2-4 weeks with the lap. Sometimes you can go after 1 week, but my surgeon places a G-tube and I hear it's a pain in the, side! I started discussing this with my PCP one month ago and have about 2 months more to wait before I can try for approval. If I get approved, then I have to wait until I can be fit into the surgeon's schedule. I've heard that IBS can definitely be helped enormously with the surgery. Welcome again, Pre-Op Jan
ebdrup
on 6/18/04 2:37 pm - PLANT CITY, FL
Rebecca, I do not have your insurance, but I do have one that also will not pay for weight loss. Call and ask them to read the section related to not paying for the Weight Loss Surgery(wls). See if there is a statement that says unless "Medically Necessary". They won't always tell you this unless you ask. If it dose include that statement then you can get letters from your doctors. If it dose not have that then you can appeal. Just do not give up without a fight. Keep in touch with us here. These people here are wonderful and caring. We all know what you are going though and will go though. IMP gail
Julie D.
on 6/19/04 1:06 am - Clearwater, FL
HI Rebecca, IF you find out the BCBS absolutely won't pay, there may be one other option. Someone in my support group went through Vocational Rehab and they are paying 100%. If it can be documented that your weight and it's associated medical problems are impeding you from doing your job well or preventing you from employment in your trained field. Voc rehab will cover. You do need to have a surgeon who accepts voc rehab. Good Luck! I am pre-op at this point. I have a 9yr old at home and I too want to be around for her. Hang in there and fight!!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views