Looking for good PCP in Jacksonville area?

Willard B.
on 6/17/04 7:23 am - Jacksonville, FL
I notice the site lists surgeons but I recently had to switch jobs and got new insurance which has severely crippled my WLS progress and gave me a deadline or possible no surgery at all (BCBS *cringe*). I needed to switch my pcp anyways because he was just downright bad for me all around. He was not helpful with the WLS process at all and could barely remember my name on visits. I had a spot on my arm he did surgery on and examined over a year ago. Never sent anything in to be tested. Did surgery in the office again and this time he finally sent a piece too be tested. Oh yea it comes back a form of skin cancer!! Since from what I see the PCP is a part of the process and I do not want to have to depend on this doctor for anything. Especially if time is of the essence. I had already bought a Weigh****chers at home kit and have been working on it but need the PCP to get me to a Nutritionist? to get the ball rolling on the 6 months. So can anyone suggest a WLS friendly and helpful PCP in the Jacksonville area who could help me out? Thanks a bunch. Bill
ErikaL
on 6/17/04 8:06 am - JAX, FL
Bill, My PCP told me that if you attend the weekly Weigh****cher's meeting and get your membership booklet filled out each week, you won't need to be supervised by a nutritionist. It only cost $11/week. You might want to check with your insurance to make sure. Good Luck! Erika L
Marilyn A.
on 6/17/04 9:52 am - Jacksonville, FL
Hi Bill: I have Dr. Zoller, he is on St. Johns Bluff by Beach Blvd. His asst. is Willa Price and she is wonderful. I brought my own letter to Dr. Zoller for him to sign and he did. It only took about 3 days before he signed it. I did schedule an appt. with him for the purpose of just talking about him signing the letter. It was signed the next day. I know he is a busy doctor but also feels that WLS is the only answer for me as he has said I need a perminate solution to my weight. Anyway his number is 904-645-6767. I have not seen a nutriionist and did not think I had to as I have 2 letters from 2 different doctors where I was under their care on medically supervised diets. Good lock and I will add you to my prayer list. God Bless Marilyn
Willard B.
on 6/17/04 1:33 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Thanks all, I will check into that doctor and see about if I need a nutritionist or not. I know my Cigna coverage did but I will double check with BCBS.
catlady
on 6/18/04 6:30 am - Ft Gaines, GA
I see Dr Howard Green, The Doctor's Center. He has several locations. The number for the Beach Blvd office is 645-3775. I have already had my surgery and he has been very supportive.
rlike1
on 6/18/04 10:38 am - Orange Park, FL
Bill, Hello! I go to San Jose Family Practice at the corner of San Jose and University. If you're comfortable with women doctors, there are two there, Dr. Brooke (don't know her last name) and the main doctor (whose name eludes me, helpful aren't I?)......anyway, I see Dr. Brooke who also happens to be a person that struggles with her weight. When I told her what I wanted to do, she asked me some questions to make sure I had truly researched this procedure (she was particularly impressed I knew the surgery was "roux en y") and she gave me her blessing. I read about so many people who struggle with their primary doctor and I feel so fortunate to not have gone through that. This office is a part of the University of Florida so if BCBS uses them, you may want to try them if you're looking for someone sympathetic..... good luck !!
Micmomof3
on 6/18/04 11:47 am - Jacksonville, fl
Bill, Hello there! I see Dr. Amer Shala, he has 2 locations one at the beach and the other by Memorial Medical Center. So far so good, would be better if he would get my letter done though. Good Luck, Michelle.
Willard B.
on 6/18/04 12:11 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Thanks a bunch for names, I appreciate it and will check into all of them. Also I was thinking of going to the Wish Center since if everything falls through I might be able to get financing through them for the surgery. Do I have to wait too talk to my PCP and get a referral or would it be alright to just go ahead and start contacting them? The reason I wanted to go with the Wish Center is because they seem to be the most familiar and best setup for the surgery. I have problems with hospitals and surgery ever since my father died a couple years ago in the hospital from complications of Hernia Surgery (suffice to say no people don't usually die from the surgery and yes action was taken against the doctor and hospital). I never liked hospitals too begin with so now i'm really afraid of them, but i'm more afraid of living the way I am.
Micmomof3
on 6/19/04 3:17 am - Jacksonville, fl
Bill, Good Afternoon. I so sorry to hear of the loss of your father I can definitly understand your reluctance to want to go to a hospital. I have heard some good things about The Wish Center! I myself went ahead and contacted surgeons first before I even located a PCP. You can do whatever feels best for you. Maybe you will find a surgeon and will have more info. to provide your new PCP with, it could help. I did in my case, I don't believe my PCP has had a wls patient before. Good Luck with everything. Please keep us updated and let us know if any of us could be of some assitance! Michelle
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views